For all the non believers, Cutting back on junk food matters so much!

Options

Replies

• MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I feel bad now... I should have said calorie deficits matter. I should have at least remembered one thing my girlfriend has drilled into my head this last year.

Don't feel bad. A lot of people here are sensitive to the term "junk food" becauase of the negative association it creates. Food is fuel; it has no inherent goodness or badness.

You've got a lot of points to be proud of in your post:
    • eating normal meals
    • weighing food
    • no need for detoxes and cleanses (there is 1 cleanse that might help, though)
    • positive attitude

All in all, it was a decent 100th post. 6/10, would read again.

in for a peep cleanse!

DAMNIT! I should have known.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I feel bad now... I should have said calorie deficits matter. I should have at least remembered one thing my girlfriend has drilled into my head this last year.

Don't feel bad. A lot of people here are sensitive to the term "junk food" becauase of the negative association it creates. Food is fuel; it has no inherent goodness or badness.

You've got a lot of points to be proud of in your post:
    • eating normal meals
    • weighing food
    • no need for detoxes and cleanses (there is 1 cleanse that might help, though)
    • positive attitude

All in all, it was a decent 100th post. 6/10, would read again.

in for a peep cleanse!

DAMNIT! I should have known.

psycrs.gif
  • MFD7576
    Options
    @Troutsy I think im gonna grow my beard out like his by the way. Its pretty majestic now but I could reach new levels of majestic!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success and keep up the great work!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    @Troutsy I think im gonna grow my beard out like his by the way. Its pretty majestic now but I could reach new levels of majestic!

I'd be okay with that B)
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Congrats on your success and keep up the great work!

Thank you MattyC and everyone else for the support! I just realized im "that" guy with out the picture up still too. For all intents and purposes, I HAD one! I just took it down to start a new before and after.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far! Keep it up! I'm sure you will do great! :)
  • execrate2k15
    execrate2k15 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!

For my 100th Post, Ill talk about my success so far!

Im a 5'9, 24 year old male. I once weighed a consistent 275, My worst was 282 and at this current moment I am 264.

I just wanted to let people know you CAN do it! The first week you try to cut back it will be hard, but it worth it. In the last 2 weeks I see a huge lose of 17 pounds as I know my body is regulating the water its retaining, and "purging" all the junk from my stomach. You don't need a fancy detox cleanse, or an all protein shake diet to lose it, all you need to do is eat healthy and eat normal meals and your body will bounce back to normal.

The best advice I can give, put a digital scale on your counter. Make it accessible at all moments of cooking or snacking. It will remind you how much you DONT need.

• MFD7576
    Options
    I have found that the reason it makes a difference is because whole foods fill you up and make you feel full, and so you can eat less (at a deficit) and not feel hungry. That is the main thing behind it, IMO. It's not really that it's magic. It works because it is very satiating to eat whole foods in comparison to junk. People that switch are surprised right away at how full they feel eating much less.

You worded that a lot better than I ever could haha, I support this and I think that's what ive come to notice too. Also that it takes 2 weeks for your body to get use a new way of taking food
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well done for finding something that works for you, well done on your weight loss so far, and well done for taking the 'criticism' of some of the wording of you post in good spirits (the last one is rarer than the first two lol).

I agree, and while I am not of using the word on here due to the connotations you find on here, decreasing 'junk' food is a great way to decrease your caloric intake - 'junk' food tends to be low in satiety, low in nutrients and high in calories - and highly palatable as well so we tend to over-eat it.

I use the work 'junk' food in casual conversation as its less of a mouthful than 'low in micronutrients, calorie dense, low in satiety, highly palatable, highly processed' food. What do other people use in the vernacular?
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I still use the word "junk", just not on these forums due to the instant backlash :smile: . My wife and I have the same understanding of the word as the long form definition you used, @Sarauk2sf , however it's just too much of a mouthful to be clarifying all the time.

I definitely have better weight loss results when I limit my 'junk' food, however I still find a way fit it in in moderation...I actually managed to have pizza last night and not gorge myself on it. Small victories over time equal results. :smile:
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Well done for finding something that works for you, well done on your weight loss so far, and well done for taking the 'criticism' of some of the wording of you post in good spirits (the last one is rarer than the first two lol).

I agree, and while I am not of using the word on here due to the connotations you find on here, decreasing 'junk' food is a great way to decrease your caloric intake - 'junk' food tends to be low in satiety, low in nutrients and high in calories - and highly palatable as well so we tend to over-eat it.

I use the work 'junk' food in casual conversation as its less of a mouthful than 'low in micronutrients, calorie dense, low in satiety, highly palatable, highly processed' food. What do other people use in the vernacular?

Usually when talking to people I still say junk but I use air quotes around it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

IDK, I usually just describe said food. So if I ate too much pizza, I ate too much pizza, and don't say I ate too much junk...I am sure I use it as a shortcut from time to time to describe calorie dense foods...
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Congratulations on your progress so far :)

It's true that junk food is the worst thing one can consume; there's pretty much nothing nutrient about it and after a couple of hours of eating it you feel hungry again.

But it tastes so damn good! That's the problem I guess :p
    Pretty much hahaha

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success, OP! I wish you more in the future.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Nutrient density is most important. Crowd out the junk with delicious, nutrient dense food and your calories will be in line.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

IDK, I usually just describe said food. So if I ate too much pizza, I ate too much pizza, and don't say I ate too much junk...I am sure I use it as a shortcut from time to time to describe calorie dense foods...

I am not really referring to a single food - as that's easy just to say 'I ate pizza. But when we are talking about "I ate a bunch of candy, pop tarts, crisps and donuts' - I bet most people on here use the term 'junk' IRL. It depends on context really.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I am not really referring to a single food - as that's easy just to say 'I ate pizza. But when we are talking about "I ate a bunch of candy, pop tarts, crisps and donuts' - I bet most people on here use the term 'junk' IRL. It depends on context really.

in that case then yes, I use the proverbial junk or crap short cut...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Meh, I still use the word "junk" food as I think it does apply to many foods. The stereotypical stuff like hostess cupcakes and what not. They aren't all that nutrient dense and don't provide much energy so I think the term "junk" applies. The difference for me is that I don't necessarily think "junk" automatically is a negative.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!