Looked into FitBit, should I consider Jawbone UP?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I've used it in the rain with no trouble. I generally charge it when I'm in the shower. I got in the pool with mine, but took it off in just a few seconds and it was fine. They are "splash resistant" but not waterproof.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Well, I have only had a few people comment but seeing them for $50 makes me feel like I should just go for it!
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would suggest getting the regular fitbit unless you really want to be able to monitor your HR. I ordered the regular charge but I thought I was ordering the HR version. I considered sending it back but I actually like it. Tracking calories burned throughout the day is more useful to me than knowing the exact calories I burn during exercise. And I don't even need to be able to view my stats on my Charge when I can just check it on my phone.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    You mean the FitBit flex?
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I researched all and went with garmin vivosmart with chest strap for HR. Best decision I made. Lasts 5-7 days depending on activity level.
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had the first generation UP2, the UP24 and the "new" UP2. The G1 UP2 and the 24 would randomly die for no reason at all. This happened at least seven times over a year and a half. They have since been phased out so I got the newest UP2. I had it for about a month. No issues with syncing or having it die on me, but the clasp on the new design kept coming undone. SO annoying. I was afraid I would lose it so I switched to the FitBit Charge HR.

PROS: It has a digital readout on the band which none of the UP products has. It tracks all of the same stats as the UP.

CONS: It doesn't sync my steps to MFP. (no biggie lol) The app is not as awesome as jawbone

While Jawbone's app is superior, the crappy band design is not worth the headache. Full disclosure though, I've only had my fitbit for five days...
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    You mean the FitBit flex?

Yes. My co-worker got hers the same time I got my Charge. It does the same thing but the Charge has bells and whistles that really aren't necessary IMO. Like I don't need a caller ID. Plus the flex is thinner. I guess since I always have my phone I don't have any use for being able to view my data on the fitbit device.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I always have my phone on me as well so displays do me no good and when I'm running I don't ever check my progress.

I'm not overly concerned with step count, just calories burned overall.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    If all you need is calories burned, you can figure that out yourself.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I thought I was able to figure it out myself but I can't. My TDEE says it's 1900ish so I eat 1700 and depending on how much I work out I will either eat some back or leave it and I don't lose weight or inches (but I am constantly hungry!!)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    If you're not gaining or losing, you found your maintenance level. Congrats.

Anything from an activity band isn't going to be 100% accurate, anyway. It certainly won't change how much you can eat without feeling hungry. Best case, it's going to give you a relatively dependable number that your going to have to adjust to match your actual results, anyway.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I had MFP set for 1700 calories, I ate 1300, worked out for approx 200 calories (depending on accuracy of Map My Walk) meaning I was at 1200 calories net. My calories in vary between 1300 and 1700 and my calories burned vary between "200" and "700"
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    I thought I was able to figure it out myself but I can't. My TDEE says it's 1900ish so I eat 1700 and depending on how much I work out I will either eat some back or leave it and I don't lose weight or inches (but I am constantly hungry!!)

I am sticking to 1500 calories regardless of how much I workout. I was eating back exercise calories and found my progress to be really slow compared to last year. Granted I weigh less so that could be a factor. But when I looked at my diary last year I saw that I stuck to around 1,500 calories plus exercise and the weight fell off.

If you are constantly hungry you should eat foods that have more fat and more protein.

• _rachel_k
    Options
    I am currently adding Ideal Protein foods to my daily routine, almost everything I eat actually but I won't follow the plan of 800 calories a day and no exercise
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I used to have a BodyMedia arm band (2.5 years--JawBone bought them out). I credit it with keeping me accountable as far as activity intensity and calories burned goes.

I did a lot of research and recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive watch and chest strap. I was considering a Fitbit Surge, an Apple Watch, Mio Fuse and a Runtastic Orbit (I already use Runtastic to map my runs). I decided on the Garmin as a "best fit for me" for the following reasons:

I don't care about heart rate on a minute to minute basis, but do care about it when I'm training. Everything I've read says there's a larger margin for error with the wrist HRMs. I also don't like things tight on my wrist. :smile: So I wanted something with a chest strap.
    I like getting the notifications on my phone. It's much more subtle during meetings to check my wrist for a text than to reach for my phone to see if it's something to which I need to respond.
    I like getting the notifications, but I like that it only vibrates and doesn't make noise.
    I like the apps and they are constantly adding new ones for more functionality.
    I like the different settings for indoor vs. outdoor exercise.
    I like the color interface.
    Set-up was super easy.
    Good phone app and website interface with the device.
    Battery lasts well and charges really fast.

I love Apple, so it was hard to resist the watch, but I really want the HRM functions I get with what I've got.

Hope that helped a little! Here's a site with lots of reviews that I looked at:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp[\url]
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Psychgrrl: I considered the chest strap HRM but I would probably always forget to put it on before my runs/walks.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    So which is the best Fitbit to get? Charge, Charge HR, Surge or Flex?
  • JeffLauniere
    JeffLauniere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit and liked it a lot, though the one problem for me is it was not waterproof. I then bought a Misfit Shine and like it since it is waterproof and thin, I can wear it all the time. It is also much more accurate than my Fitbit was. It does not give as much as feedback as the Fitbit does, since it does not have a display. It also does not have a website like Fitbit, but syncs to MyFitnessPal perfectly. I have not used the Jawbone, though they were advertising the Up3 as waterproof. Apparently it was not though as after they released it they changed it to water resistant. Being in Florida, waterproof ended up changing my mind as to what is best.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Everyone seems to like and want FitBits, this is a tough decision...... unless I just don't get anything lol
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to track my activity and hopefully get a more accurate calorie burn than what I get from MapMyRun and my treadmill and it would appear that the cost is a little cheaper with Jawbone, and I could get it used......

I had a couple discussions posted about the FitBit Charge HR and for almost $200 I couldn't justify the cost.

I have both a Fitbit and a Jawbone UP. Jawbone's customer service is horrible—I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Which Fitbit you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference—they all calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and they all sync with MFP. The Fitbit Zip is only $US60.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users