@USATODAY: #BREAKING FDA will require food companies to phase out trans fats

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Yay! Government overreach.

Do people have no ability to choose products that contain or don't contain Trans fats?

They do for now.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    we have all been knowingly and unknowingly consuming for so long now the damage is done
    what does it matter?

For the future generations, yes.

In the article I shared above, it says that the Professor who first discovered that trans fats are bad for us conducted an experiment with rats. When they were fed trans fats they developed atherosclerosis, once the trans fats were removed from their diet it disappeared from their arteries.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    we have all been knowingly and unknowingly consuming for so long now the damage is done
    what does it matter?

For the future generations, yes.

I guess all the people who quit smoking should start up again too, eh?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    So I was about to tell you to do research but I read mine wrong. Naturally occurring are just not nearly as bad. They still have some risks. But man made are much worse. And they shouldn't be eaten and I think labeling is deceptive.
    Just like sugar is sugar, trans fat is trans fat. It doesn't matter where it came from initially.

However, what does matter is the overall amount of trans fat (and sugar) in the diet. Manufacturers will gleefully add substances that appeal to the palate in order to increase sales.

I'm all for increased labeling requirements. I'm not a fan of banning anything outright but the FDA didn't ask me how I felt about it.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How is that government overreach? If it's not safe to eat, that's the fda doing its job.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    How is that government overreach? If it's not safe to eat, that's the fda doing its job.

Context and dosage do not matter

so in your opinion the government should phase out/ban anything that is not safe to eat without taking dosage into account? So ban all food and drink?
  • Eudoxy
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • Eudoxy
    Options

so in your opinion the government should phase out/ban anything that is not safe to eat without taking dosage into account? So ban all food and drink?

No, but apparently they have reason to believe this is potentially harmful enough to do so in this case. Isn't that what they're there for? Afaik they're not talking about banning other things, but this has been coming. Other countries are taking various steps as well.

• rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Yes. Ban all food and drink. The Nanny State knows best. Resistance is futile. :p

• Acg67
    Options

No, but apparently they have reason to believe this is harmful enough to do so. Isn't that what they're there for? Afaik they're not talking about banning other things, but this has been coming. Other countries are taking various steps as well.

Cigarettes? Wouldn't that be more pressing than Trans fat? I don't advocate banning tobacco but...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If we're not going to require labels on menu items with trans in them, I'm ok with the phase out.

Either or....

But then, I'm also ok with banning smoking in restaurants, so what do I know?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    For me the problem is that the ****'s everywhere, including places no sane person would guess. I mean, seriously, WTF are trans fats doing in a Dunkin Donuts frozen coffee?!

• Acg67
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    For me the problem is that the ****'s everywhere, including places no sane person would guess. I mean, seriously, WTF are trans fats doing in a Dunkin Donuts frozen coffee?!

So you take issue with things that are pervasive that have the potential for being bad/cause harm?
  • j75j75
    Options

No, but apparently they have reason to believe this is harmful enough to do so. Isn't that what they're there for? Afaik they're not talking about banning other things, but this has been coming. Other countries are taking various steps as well.

Cigarettes? Wouldn't that be more pressing than Trans fat? I don't advocate banning tobacco but...

Cigarettes are a bit different. Only people 18+ can buy cigarettes, in a perfect world at least lol. Children everywhere are ingesting trans fats though. Don't get me wrong, the responsibility of what children eat does fall on the parents, to a point. But most adults don't know as much as they should about nutrition. And as Mr_Knight said, trans fats are everywhere, it's hard to avoid them unless you are diligent about it. That's why 2/3 of US adults are overweight and 1/3 of US children are overweight, not to mention heart disease is the #1 killer in America. So what's a nation to do? Just watch it's citizens continue to get fatter, the cost of dealing with heart disease continue to rise? It's done that for decades...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

So you take issue with things that are pervasive that have the potential for being bad/cause harm?

Depends.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    From The Atlantic today:
    If you like food that’s chewy and juicy and cheap and not spoiled, there are new synthetic ingredients introduced all the time to accomplish these ends.
    A few may prove harmful to our health eventually, and we’ll figure that out and introduce a ban over the course of decades, at first in practice, with dollars and stomachs, and then, once industry lobbying is minimal enough to be overcome, federal agencies will take credit for protecting consumer well-being, and that’s the way things tend to work.

• Acg67
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »

Cigarettes are a bit different. Only people 18+ can buy cigarettes, in a perfect world at least lol. Children everywhere are ingesting trans fats though. Don't get me wrong, the responsibility of what children eat does fall on the parents, to a point. But most adults don't know as much as they should about nutrition. And as Mr_Knight said, trans fats are everywhere, it's hard to avoid them unless you are diligent about it. That's why 2/3 of US adults are overweight and 1/3 of US children are overweight, not to mention heart disease is the #1 killer in America. So what's a nation to do? Just watch it's citizens continue to get fatter, the cost of dealing with heart disease continue to rise? It's done that for decades...

So trans fats are everywhere = rising obesity? Interesting
  • j75j75
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »

So trans fats are everywhere = rising obesity? Interesting

It's a contributing factor, and it causes atherosclerosis, heart disease is the #1 killer in America. The first trans fat product was released in 1911, by the 1930's heart disease was becoming a real problem, and by the 1950's it was the leading cause of death in America.