No Sugar Diet

Options
Has any one tried a No Sugar diet and been successful? I would like to know what diet strategy you used as reference and guidance.

Replies

• razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I went online and just learned all I could about sugar where it comes from different forms of it things like what it does when it enters your body also carbs turn into sugar in your body so now I'm trying to figure out how to have a low carb diet
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I guess you can say I've been successful I don't even buy it anymore
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Barring a medical reason, why would you want to do that?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    razzjam334 wrote: »
    I went online and just learned all I could about sugar where it comes from different forms of it things like what it does when it enters your body also carbs turn into sugar in your body so now I'm trying to figure out how to have a low carb diet

Well carbohydrates are a sugar...
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I watched that documentary 'That Sugar Film' and it made a really convincing argument for giving up sugar. I find it hard because i enjoy fruits so much. The rest of it i can live without but i couldnt give up fruits. I guess it depends how strict you want to be.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't see the reason to do this. I track my calories, stay within my calorie goal and eat a wide variety of nutritious foods. But I see no reason to give up chocolate and other foods I really like.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just make a conscious choice not to eat refined sugar on a regular basis. I didn't use a book or diet. There's no nutritional benefit that it adds to my health and for me it's not about weight loss but overall health and nutrition. You might want to try gradually weaning yourself off sugary foods so you're not overwhelming yourself with a quick change. After two years, we don't miss it, losing weight is effortless and our health has never been better. Do we indulge on special occasions? Sometimes, however, we find now that after being off it so long, the crappy feeling when we do eat sugary treats just isn't worth it. Good luck finding what works best for you.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I watched that documentary 'That Sugar Film' and it made a really convincing argument for giving up sugar. I find it hard because i enjoy fruits so much. The rest of it i can live without but i couldnt give up fruits. I guess it depends how strict you want to be.

FYI, documentaries are usually not very good sources of information.

Unless they're narrated by David Attenborough.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

You say that, but I watched a making-of for his flight series, and they were releasing trained falcons. I suppose they would have to do that in order to get the shots they need, but still . . .
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't see the reason to do this. I track my calories, stay within my calorie goal and eat a wide variety of nutritious foods. But I see no reason to give up chocolate and other foods I really like.

This !! Ive been successful at moderation not deprivation
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have not found a way to eat sugar in moderation so a couple of years ago I just cut out all candy, cakes, cookies - anything with sugar. I eat plenty of fruits and so forth. Works for me
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

You say that, but I watched a making-of for his flight series, and they were releasing trained falcons. I suppose they would have to do that in order to get the shots they need, but still . . .

Shhh, don't shatter my dreams.
  • franticbuyer42
    franticbuyer42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I wanted to get feedback from the community to see what was happening in regards to sugar. I personally am not looking to do this long term but I am at the beginning of my journey and I believe it would be a good start to reduce sugar intake.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I wanted to get feedback from the community to see what was happening in regards to sugar. I personally am not looking to do this long term but I am at the beginning of my journey and I believe it would be a good start to reduce sugar intake.

For some people who have the tendency to binge on certain foods, cutting those foods completely out for a while can be helpful.

However, it is important to understand that to be successful, you need to learn to moderate all foods that you enjoy, including sugar. You are already going to reduce your sugar intake my counting calories and trying to hit your protein/fat goals. Unless you are planning on cutting sugar out forever, I would not advise cutting it out completely. If you like sugar, you need to learn how to fit it into an otherwise healthy, balanced diet and active lifestyle. Demonizing it is not going to help you long term.
  • bhilliker
    bhilliker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just did Atkins for a couple weeks to get the sugar out of my system. I am back to eating some fruit, but if I eat any sort of bread or baked good I feel horrible. Guess it is a no grain life for me. I don't think it hurts anyone to get that junk out of their system.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    bhilliker wrote: »
    I just did Atkins for a couple weeks to get the sugar out of my system. I am back to eating some fruit, but if I eat any sort of bread or baked good I feel horrible. Guess it is a no grain life for me. I don't think it hurts anyone to get that junk out of their system.

Carbohydrates are junk?

Who knew.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bhilliker wrote: »

What junk?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So what foods don't have sugar in them? Doesn't everything?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Why not just stop eating processed foods. Carbs/sugars aren't bad for you. You need them in your diet and if you are working out you need them for an energy source. Keep within your calorie goal and you will still lose without having to completely restrict an important macronutrient.
This discussion has been closed.