Chocolate is there a substitute?

Options
IEatVeg
IEatVeg Posts: 38 Member
Hello everyone, so I like chocolate but it's also my downfall. When I'm feeling crappy it's what I turn to, to make me feel better. I want to get out of this habit, I've tried eating really dark chocolate instead but once my tastebuds get use to the taste. I can easily gorge on that too. Is my only option to completely cut it out of my diet(which I'm prepared to do)? I eat very well for the rest of my diet, lots of vegetables, pulses, beans, fruit etc. I don't want chocolate to be my go to food anymore. Anyone out there who can appreciate where I'm coming from?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Do you want a substitute which tastes like it but isn't chocolate?

Or a substitute which is a completely different food?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    There's no substitute for chocolate.
    You can deny yourself completely, which isn't fun, and isn't a healthy way to learn to eat.
    You can learn to have _some_.
    You can continue having too much, and have weight problems.
    You can find something lower-cal that hits that "I WANT CHOCOLATE" spot.

I like fudgesicles. They're 40 calories, so even if I have a couple, I don't feel out of control.
    Also try sugar-free pudding made with skim milk.
    In the winter, hot cocoa can be satisfying.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have a few chocolate teas that I really enjoy and help curb my chocolate cravings. I keep small amounts of chocolate in the freezer so it's harder to eat.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No, there is no substitute!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150615191518.htm

But if you have an issue with compulsively eating it then the solution is simple. Don't keep it around your house! Problem solved. Perhaps try keeping some dark chocolate almonds around instead? I love those things, and occasionally gorge on them but they can't be eaten as quickly as pure chocolate.
  • IEatVeg
    Options

A healthier substitute that isn't chocolate but(will hopefully)help me ween myself off chocolate.
  • IEatVeg
    Options
    I
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    No, there is no substitute!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150615191518.htm

But if you have an issue with compulsively eating it then the solution is simple. Don't keep it around your house! Problem solved. Perhaps try keeping some dark chocolate almonds around instead? I love those things, and occasionally gorge on them but they can't be eaten as quickly as pure chocolate.

I don't have issues where I compulsively eat it, just when I'm feeling stressed the urge is hard to resist. Evenings is the worse to be honest. I don't drink or smoke so I guess my mind sees it as a relaxant. Ooh chocolate almonds sound nice, I have been trying to sub chocolate with nuts which has helped because at least nuts aren't empty calories.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    greenfus3 wrote: »

A healthier substitute that isn't chocolate but(will hopefully)help me ween myself off chocolate.

There isn't a substitute.

Either learn to eat it in moderation or completely forget about it.. your choice OP.
  • IEatVeg
    Options
    I have a few chocolate teas that I really enjoy and help curb my chocolate cravings. I keep small amounts of chocolate in the freezer so it's harder to eat.
    I've seen chocolate tea but I was skeptical. What brand do you drink? The chocolate in the freezer sounds like a great idea. :)
  • IEatVeg
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    There's no substitute for chocolate.
    You can deny yourself completely, which isn't fun, and isn't a healthy way to learn to eat.
    You can learn to have _some_.
    You can continue having too much, and have weight problems.
    You can find something lower-cal that hits that "I WANT CHOCOLATE" spot.

I like fudgesicles. They're 40 calories, so even if I have a couple, I don't feel out of control.
    Also try sugar-free pudding made with skim milk.
    In the winter, hot cocoa can be satisfying.

Yea I agree with what your saying but to get to that place I think I may have to learn to live without for awhile to get to break the cycle. I'll have a think on a low calorie alternative.
  • IEatVeg
    Options
    I

Either learn to eat it in moderation or completely forget about it.. your choice OP.

I figured that would be the outcome, my dad pretty much said that to me. I never used to be that bothered about chocolate but as I've gradually stopped doing other things that help have helped with relaxing(like drinking). I think my body has hooked onto chocolate. I'll just be cutting it out for the foreseeable future until my body gives up craving for it.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for chocolate. You can learn to control the amount you eat. One or two Hershey's kisses or a dove chocolate does not have a lot of calories and you can fit it into your daily allowance.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I

I figured that would be the outcome, my dad pretty much said that to me. I never used to be that bothered about chocolate but as I've gradually stopped doing other things that help have helped with relaxing(like drinking). I think my body has hooked onto chocolate. I'll just be cutting it out for the foreseeable future until my body gives up craving for it.

I used to get pretty bad cravings for coca cola. I used to have one can or something, then put the rest in a the basement so I wouldn't be particularly bothered to get up, walk down 3 flights of stairs and get one.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think there are plenty of alternatives and as its a popular subject just search using the word chcolate and look at the threads with how people find things that give them the same buzz, but has less calories.

Personally I prefer chocolate and will either use exercise calories or just eat a smaller portion. look at the alternatives if that wont work for you, becayse they obviously work for other people.
  • snowhyte5
    snowhyte5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There isn't one, I just skip the milk chocolate, and go for the dark stuff ☺
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like the Skinny Cow chocolates...portion control is key for me.
    I also like the Healthy Choice fudge bars.

Both are a good "fix" when I want something chocolate.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I add Hershey's Cocoa powder to yogurt and raisins. :)
    One can add cocoa powder to other things as well like oatmeal. Even soups.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm a choco-holic too. I budget myself one piece of chocolate a day. That piece is usually around 50 calories and I let it melt in my mouth. I never chew it. If you can find the healthy choice fudge pops I do suggest getting them. So good and chocolaty. Also, check out chocolatecoveredkatie.com the blog has lots of great ideas for desserts in general. Maybe make some of the fudge balls that uses dates. She even has her own low cal chocolate bar recipe!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can eat a whole pint of Stonyfield chocolate frozen yogurt for 400 calories. Add cocoa powder to make it even more chocolately. Or eat actual chocolate. I chose the frozen yogurt tonight because real chocolate would have helped me meet my fat macro better.
  • kyla_mari
    kyla_mari Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can still eat chocolate just switch it up from time to time, for example, add cocoa powder to a banana smoothie for a chocolatey indulgence, or melt some dark chocolate and dip your favorite fruit in it! Also a few squares of dark chocolate aren't that bad for you again it's all about portion control :) another thing you could try is dipping a dark chocolate square in all natural peanut butter, even adding to cocoa powder to oatmeal is tasty :) hope this is helpful
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    High fat content and bitterness and the texture. +sugars. Figure out why you like it maybe? and then substitute it with something healthier. For me food texture and taste and fat content are major pulls, which is why I don't keep ice cream in my home. I don't binge on chocolate though which is good.

Cocoa beans contain approximately 50% fat. It is primarily comprised of two saturated fatty acids (palmitic and stearic acids) and one mono-unsaturated acid (oleic acid). Cocoa butter and chocolate do not raise blood cholesterol. However, when consuming milk chocolate or lower grade chocolate where a part of the total fat content comes from milk fat or various other types of fat, the cholesterol level might be adversely affected.

Try avacado for healthy fats.
    Bitterness try good coffee that is black without any lightners/creamer in it.
    Hard to soft creamy texture. Maybe figure out if you enjoy chewing the chocolate, or letting it melt in your mouth and find something like that whatever it is for you in the part of the eating sensation that can replace that. I frickin love avocado because it's creamy I like the way it feels in my mouth, the smooth which is one of the reasons I like chocolate that coaty smooth feel it has in the mouth.

Also I only eat fair trade chocolate (research how much human trafficking/slave labor in chocolate production and you may too) and dark bitter chocolates because I like that feeling and taste on my tongue, and having my mouth really awake to the flavors of bitter. Plus cheap chocolate/white sugar they use in it's production it just is gross it's salty it's almost has a chemical taste it leaves on the tongue and a film ick.