Egg Whites - help me love them!

Options
13»

Replies

• gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I really love adding egg whites to my oatmeal to get in that morning protein kick! The egg whites make the oatmeal texture a little fluffier and creamier, and you can't really taste them, especially if you add fruit or sweeten it with sugar/artificial sweetener. Plus, this breakfast is super inexpensive and easy to make.

I generally follow this recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_6066655_cook-egg-whites-oatmeal.html

1. Measure 1/2 cup of oats into a cereal bowl. You can use old fashioned or instant oats for this recipe.
    2. Add 1/2 cup of water to the oats. This makes a thick oatmeal, add a little more water if you like your oatmeal thin.
    3. Add two egg whites or 1/2 cup of egg whites from a carton to your bowl of oatmeal.
    4. Stir everything together thoroughly. Stir, stir, stir to make sure that the egg whites are mixed in really well! If you allow the egg whites to just sit on top of the oatmeal you will end up a bowl of oatmeal with cooked egg whites on top.
    5. Cook the oatmeal in your microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on HIGH.
    6. Remove the oatmeal and egg whites from the microwave. Be careful as the bowl may be hot.
    7. Add sweeteners or milk to your oatmeal like you normally would. Stir it up!

Hope that helps!
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I should show this to my doctor and nutritionist. They are both the ones telling me to not eat egg yolks and other stuff of course.

For some reason, a lot of doctors seem to have a difficult time accepting that new research is changing the rules for a lot of things. :-)
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Ingredients in egg beaters:
    Contains 99% of Egg(s) Whites, Contains less than 1% of Flavor(s) Natural, Color(s) Includes, ( Beta Carotene), Spice(s), Salt, Onion(s) Powder, Vegetable(s) Gum ( Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Vitamins And Minerals, Calcium Sulphate (Sulfate), Iron ( Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E ( Alpha Tocopherol (Tocopheryl) Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 ( Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)), Vitamin B1 ( Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1)), Vitamin B6 ( Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (HCL)), Folic Acid (Vitamin aB), Biotin, Vitamin D3

Nutrition facts:
    Calories 30
    Fat 0
    Carbs 1g
    Protein 6g
    Sodium 115mg

Blech!

Egg ingredients: egg
    Nutrition facts:
    Calories 80
    Fat 4.5g
    Carbs 1g
    Protein 6g
    Sodium 65mg

I'll sacrifice and eat the few calories and fat for lower sodium and real ingredients.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a problem with cholesterol there's no reason not to eat the entire egg.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating eggs everyday then there is no problem with eating a whole egg. Or you can always take 2 eggs and use the whites of both but only one yolk, this can lower calories. You just have to watch how you are cooking them. Instead of butter use Pam or the Smart Balance Omega http://www.smartbalance.com/products/oils-and-cooking-sprays/omega-non-stick-cooking-spray, thats the one I use.
    Or you can always throw a little cheese on your egg whites! Atheno's reduced fat sundried tomato feta cheese with cherry tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms= Yum! :)
    I've been giving Eggbeaters a try. So far, so good! 30 calories for 1/4 of a cup which equals 1 large egg.
    Good Luck!
    I eat eggs nearly every day. In fact I probably eat anywhere from 1 -4 depending on the meal I make. Current research shows unless you have cholesterol problems or a family history there's no reason not too.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    When making eggs, limit yourself to one whole egg and do the rest with egg whties. The egg yolk has a lot of good stuff you don't want to miss out on, but more than one is a little too much of the good stuff!

Yes! Totally agree! This is what I do, I have one whole egg and a half cup of egg whites, throw in some chopped up canadian bacon and a slice of cheese. So good and full of protein!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    If you like hot sauce and/or cheese that goes AWESOME with eggs whites

And GARLIC. omg.

Pretend egg whites are just a thing used to be able to taste other things you like lol
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Eggs Whites International sells these AMAZING liquid egg whites that you can put in ANY drink. Still get the protein but NONE of the taste.

I'm like you, I can't stand eggs in general in ANY form but I can drink this stuff soooo easily. I mix it into my Kefir every morning. Can't taste a thing. You can mix it in protein shakes...whatever you want and it's tasteless.

http://www.eggwhitesint.com/
  • io278983
    io278983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE egg whites with feta cheese, spinach and salsa. I know that it is a little big high in sodium but it is delicious! It may not seem really great but I look forward to getting up in the morning and having this for breakfast. So good!
  • vermontgirl
    vermontgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy...but I put the liquid egg whites in a small, shallow bowl and microwave for 1 min then top with salsa. The eggs are a different consistency and that worked for me.