Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    A lot of people drink coffee in the morning...........................for me it's a Diet Pepsi.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This thread entertained me for an entire morning of Jury Duty. So thank you for that. Now off to get a diet coke :-)
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    thingest wrote: »
    They have no clue why a person consuming aspartame ended up with migraines, seizures or brain tumors (just to name a few) after some time consuming it!
    Occam's razor would suggest they would have gotten it regardless.

What Occam's razor would have suggested had I told you that most side effects reversed once they stop consuming aspartame? Clearly, that it was caused by aspartame, the simplest hypotheses!
    I would want some actual sources for what you're saying. And with sources I obviously don't mean blog posts.

Well, I have my own story with aspartame and cyclamate but I guess is not good enough for you.
    So, you can google: site:fda.gov aspartame reported cases recovery after stop consuming

This is an excerpt of one of many documents reported to the FDA:

"A 16-year-old girl (Case III-2) had recurrent seizures that
    baffled several neurologists. Her convulsions stopped after
    avaoiding aspartame products. An attack was then reproduced
    within three hours following rechallenge with one small serving
    of an aspartame pudding.

[This paragraph epitomizes the 1200 case reports that are the
    foundation of this text.]"

This is the link to that doc: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/02/aug02/080602/98f-0052-sup0005-vol5.txt

Can I just point out these reactions can also be caused with what people would quote to be 'natural or whole foods' adverse reactions to food are most definitely not uncommon, peanut allergies can cause seizures anaphylactic shock and death but you wouldn't refer to peanuts as toxic. Many people are intolerant or allergic to lactose but again dairy is not discussed regularly as toxic. Raw tomatoes have been found to have carcinogens in them but again are not wholly avoided by the population due to this. Ever accidentally burnt your toast? carcinogenic, hope you don't BBQ or grill, any black bits are carcinogenic. I can carry on if you like there are so many examples in the world of substances used or eaten on a daily basis that are either toxic or carcinogenic.

At the end of the day yes there will be people in the world that develop adverse reactions to Aspartame just like there are people that get adverse reactions to peanuts, lactose, egg, strawberries, gluten and many more it is the beauty and maybe the curse of diversity of the human species.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Side question so what does science say about Splenda? Is the a derivative of chlorine and sugar? I love Coke Zero and Splenda but have heard mixed reports.

Honestly don't kniw a thing about Splenda but knowing what kind if rigor it takes to get FDA approval I personally would trust in its safety until I saw convincing evidence that it was somehow unsafe.

Not knowing anything about it not sure what you mean about chlorine and sugar.
    I believe a molecule is removed from sucrose to make sucralose, and the process to do it uses chlorine. That said, I like splenda.

Potable water treatment also uses chlorine in the sanitation process...
    Just because something is there doesn't mean it's inherently dangerous.
    Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't... Just that you have to look at each individual case.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There has been a study done that shows artificial sweeteners affect the bacteria in your gut. Which in turns may result in an increase absorption and resulting in weight gains and decreased production of a hormone that suppresses appetite
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Been a year since I've been on this site but for whatever reason decided to check back in. Hi again Myfitnesspal community.

Got a good chuckle to see that the accusations of me being a paid shill haven't died down yet. Honestly I wish there was a way to get paid for posting things you believe on public community forums on the internet but I have this thing in the back of my mind that tells me that job probably doesn't actually exist.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Been a year since I've been on this site but for whatever reason decided to check back in. Hi again Myfitnesspal community.

Got a good chuckle to see that the accusations of me being a paid shill haven't died down yet. Honestly I wish there was a way to get paid for posting things you believe on public community forums on the internet but I have this thing in the back of my mind that tells me that job probably doesn't actually exist.

We wish you'd come back! A lot of derp in the forums these days. :smile: We need more logical people to balance everything out.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited June 2015
    Options
    emmoen wrote: »
    There has been a study done that shows artificial sweeteners affect the bacteria in your gut. Which in turns may result in an increase absorption and resulting in weight gains and decreased production of a hormone that suppresses appetite

Do you have a link for the study in question? I'd be suprised as to how milligram quantities of amino acids would have a large scale affect on our commensal gut flora.

I googled and found this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25313461

Is this the study you are refering to?
  • emmoen
    Options
    I don't not have a link I read it in my Scientific America that I have. But I didn't even think about how much was consumed
  • emmoen
    Options
    I will definitely try and find out more about the study. I personally do not like artificial sweeteners because of taste but I'm a firm believer in everything is okay in moderation
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    emmoen wrote: »
    I don't not have a link I read it in my Scientific America that I have. But I didn't even think about how much was consumed

Assuming the study I found is the study to which you are referring they state the amount they supplied:

"low-dose aspartame (A, 5-7 mg/kg/d) "

That means the rats receieved 5 to 7 miligrams of aspartame per kilogram of their body weight per day. For a human that would be 400 to 560mg per day. 180mg of aspartame in the usual can of soda so you would be talking a dosage of the equivalent of 2 or 3 cans of soda per day which seems like an intake many people would likely imbibe.

What about this study did you find compelling? Or more to the point given you did not read the study itself, what about the opinion piece in scientific american that was written about this study did you find compelling?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is evil. You should definitely not drink, nor endorse products that contain it. :)
  • emmoen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I find anything regarding science interesting so it's hard to point out just one thing. I also love looking at different view points whEn I have the time to do research and look at different articles

Not to mention I work in the health care field and like to learn whatever I can about my health and health of my patients
  • senecarr
    Options
    Everybody loves sciences, until runs over their own pet theory with a lawn mower without batting an eye.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Well to anyone who is interested in reading the actual full study that I think emmoen's Scientific American article was likely refering to it is located here:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0109841

I'm not going to comment on it until I've actually read it but I can later if people are interested.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Great to see you back. Things didn't get better, we still get occasional "aspartame killed my family" posts.
  • senecarr
    Options

Great to see you back. Things didn't get better, we still get occasional "aspartame killed my family" posts.

I don't know what chemicals are. I don't know what LD50 is, or what your plans for it are. I don't have a BS in science.
    What I do have is a very vocal ignorance, and I will use it to hunt down your favorite drink, and force them to change their formula.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It leaves a nasty after taste in my moth, give me headaches and the poops
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing I have found about artificial sweeteners (well acesulfame potassium and sucralose) is what I have found in my research in groundwater modeling. They show up in our groundwater and surface waters. They are a good source of human waste contamination!

Yuck,

I can't complain though I am part of the problem =).