Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The first one you linked is by "scientists" from "Research and Development, The NutraSweet Company," Meaning there is a very strong research bias. Meaning I know that the study is worthless before even continuing to read beyond the first few lines. If you want to find a decent study on anything then try to find one where there is no research bias or conflict of interest in the people involved. (These people get paid by NutraSweet to produce research which says that NutraSweet products are safe, this is something you must be aware of when reading any kind of research).

The second one I dont have time to read through right now but I might get back to you later.

Discrediting science based on funds shows a lack of understand for how research is conducted. You need to understand the parameters of the study and evaluate the techniques... not the source of money. All studies must receive funding somehow. You really should watch the video I posted. Layne Norton is a very well respected scientist and has first hand knowledge. He even addresses your fund concerns.

And under the parameters of your study, it would never translate to humans.

one of the first things you learn when learning how to read and interpret papers is to look at who has written the paper and to see if there is an agenda there. One of the things I learnt in even the first year of my degree is how corrupt the FDA is and how corrupt a lot of research is, believe it or not. It is very bad to start reading papers about aspartame where all the researchers are working for and paid by nutrasweet haha. This is just really basic seriously, it's bad that you didnt know that and would just read anything without thinking about who is writing it and why. It is completely discredited due to a thing called conflict of interest/research bias. Even if you decided to reference that paper in an essay you would probably be marked down badly for choosing such a biased example.

I dont know where you got the idea that the parameters of the study I chose to link it would never translate to humans. This just seems like very wishful thinking because you want your opinion to be correct, probably because you dont want to look bad for having been promoting aspartame as safe for so long then having to go back on what you were saying. The parameters of the study were actually very good. The research methods were nice.

Even if the study was designed well, doesn't mean the dosage would apply. It would mean that the crazy upper limit should probably be reduced. The dosage does not apply in a standard human diet. Basic context and dosage.

Have you look at any of the other hundreds of studies posted in this thread? Has your study been repeated by another source? Have you watched that video I posted?

Also, so you automatically remove any study that has funding from a source that might be questionable. So if it was funded by Atkins/Nusi, than almost all low carb studies would be invalid? Or studies on cholesterol funded by egg and dairy foundations are now invalid?

And I have no issue with being wrong. If someone can present a solid argument, I change. Why because that is how science works. I alter my perceptions based on newer available data because the methods used improve over time.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Jesus can we please let this dumb ancient thread just DIE?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I find such posts curious, if you didn't want to read it then why would you click?

It's OLD. OLD OLD OLD.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I find such posts curious, if you didn't want to read it then why would you click?

It's OLD. OLD OLD OLD.

This thread is only one and a half.

You're sixty.

Two and a half years, actually.

Counting Calories 101 was started about two weeks before this one. It's still extremely relevant. Should that be killed off? Not to mention Sexypants, which is from way back in 2013 before I even joined.

You're right. It's not 2015 anymore is it?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

It's OLD. OLD OLD OLD.

You're sixty.

Counting Calories 101 was started about two weeks before this one. It's still extremely relevant. Should that be killed off? Not to mention Sexypants, which is from way back in 2013 before I even joined.

Wait 2000 and what again? *kitten! I'm really behind the time!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It's OLD. OLD OLD OLD.

You're sixty.

Wait 2000 and what again? *kitten! I'm really behind the time!

A few months back, I almost wrote 1984 on something. I'd blame it on the aspartame, but I only recently started consuming it again. I must be old.