Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• sashybih
    sashybih Posts: 5 Member
    sashybih wrote: »
    Overall, I agree with the original explanation of very little to no proof that aspartame causes cancer. There are far worse things around us that are making people sick.

That is not my worry about it. What I think this article is missing is a big point that aspartame affects insulin levels as much as sugar, and causes people to easily overeat and consume way more than needed. In other words, it is a perfect tool to help you gain weigth.

Of course, I'm not talking here about occasional can of Diet Coke here and there, but consumption of 2-3 cans per day or more.

There are numerous studies that clearly talk about this well-researched effect.

You can even look around yourself and see connection between overconsumption and Diet drinks. I've seen people eating 2000+ calories meal and feeling being on diet just by the fact that Diet Coke is next to them.....

Strange. I drink 6-10 cans per day, and I've been having no issues following an extremely strict diet that most people bail on within a few days. I guess my 6-10 must put me over some kind of dose dependant threshold, where the effects reverse.

Wait, that's it! A case of Diet Sunkist and a case of Diet Root Beer in every fridge! Everyone will be able to easily eat less than 1000 kcals per day! By god, we've just solved the obesity epidemic.

I admire your exercising and eating habits and strict self-control. It seems you are personally in good shape and blessed so nothing to worry and congratulations! I’m just talking about majority of people (not exceptions), who trick themselves believing that Diet (Coke) is helping them to lose/preserve weight or be on some sort of good path. Unfortunately, among other factors, hormonal effects are very real and majority of people are affected and/or tricked by it.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Overall, I agree with the original explanation of very little to no proof that aspartame causes cancer. There are far worse things around us that are making people sick.

That is not my worry about it. What I think this article is missing is a big point that aspartame affects insulin levels as much as sugar, and causes people to easily overeat and consume way more than needed. In other words, it is a perfect tool to help you gain weigth.

Of course, I'm not talking here about occasional can of Diet Coke here and there, but consumption of 2-3 cans per day or more.

You can even look around yourself and see connection between overconsumption and Diet drinks. I've seen people eating 2000+ calories meal and feeling being on diet just by the fact that Diet Coke is next to them.....

Strange. I drink 6-10 cans per day, and I've been having no issues following an extremely strict diet that most people bail on within a few days. I guess my 6-10 must put me over some kind of dose dependant threshold, where the effects reverse.

Wait, that's it! A case of Diet Sunkist and a case of Diet Root Beer in every fridge! Everyone will be able to easily eat less than 1000 kcals per day! By god, we've just solved the obesity epidemic.

I admire your exercising and eating habits and strict self-control. It seems you are personally in good shape and blessed so nothing to worry and congratulations! I’m just talking about majority of people (not exceptions), who trick themselves believing that Diet (Coke) is helping them to lose/preserve weight or be on some sort of good path. Unfortunately, among other factors, hormonal effects are very real and majority of people are affected and/or tricked by it.

I was one of those people, from childhood until 26 years old, where I capped out at 265. Someone finally had the resolve to tell me what a disgusting piece of *kitten* I was, and I resolved to change that. I still have the stretch marks and foul backflaps to remind me of where I came from. I am not special. I got extremely angry with myself for being such a foul subhuman, and continue to be angry with myself for not having reached my strength and composition goals. That's all.

I am not fuelled by good genetics (no one in my family, other than me, is sub-30% bodyfat), any special self-control (remember, I was once a giant gluttonous slug), or anything else, other than pure hatred for what I had let myself be for a quarter of a century.
  • sashybih
    edited October 2016

I was one of those people, from childhood until 26 years old, where I capped out at 265. Someone finally had the resolve to tell me what a disgusting piece of *kitten* I was, and I resolved to change that. I still have the stretch marks and foul backflaps to remind me of where I came from. I am not special. I got extremely angry with myself for being such a foul subhuman, and continue to be angry with myself for not having reached my strength and composition goals. That's all.

I am not fuelled by good genetics (no one in my family, other than me, is sub-30% bodyfat), any special self-control (remember, I was once a giant gluttonous slug), or anything else, other than pure hatred for what I had let myself be for a quarter of a century.

Wow…Your story is amazing, and I know people who are strong-willed and accomplish weight loss. While important, genetics is not the only thing that plays the role, but also physiological profile (strong-will) etc.

However, it is not a secret that tiny minority of people sustain long-term weight loss by doing strict calorie restrictive diets and unsustainable exercise regimes. These solutions are standard prescriptions and if they were working well, we (US) would not be among the most obese nations these days as these solutions are tried almost by everyone in some form or shape at some point in time.

It sadness me to see people reversing back and gaining weight after restrictive diets within couple of months period. Restrictive diets seem to worn out people and actually kill their will.

Overtime, I happen to blame people less for their situation as obesity is epidemic caused by numerous factors of which lack of strong-will is last on the list.

I happen to believe that we don't have to be a Superman to live normal and healthy life, but that's just me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

That's called a lack of knowledge, or possibly delusion. It has nothing to do with any property of artificial sweeteners.

Lots of people who are overweight drink diet sodas thinking they are keeping their calories down - and they are compared to drinking regular soda or more caloric drinks, but many fail to grasp that if that isn't putting them in a deficit (and often it doesn't because the rationale is that if they're drinking a diet they can get a bigger, more indulgent meal) then they still need to curtail their other calorie sources.

Bingo. It's the same reason that the whole fat-phobia thing, and the current carbs are the devil phase aren't accomplishing *kitten*. Something that works under strict metabolic ward control, rarely works in the wild. The general population has this terrible habit of taking good ideas and *kitten* them up in profound ways.

The whole thing with low-fat working was obviously reduced caloric density. Then *kitten* like Snackwells came along. It also didn'y help that it was shown time and again that when people believed they were eating something low-fat, they'd eat more of it to compensate, ending them up right where they began.

With low-carb, it's the fact that carb restriction often results in lower overall food intake. Then here come the *kitten* "low net carb" jellybeans, but because it's low-carb, it's cool to eat the whole bag.
  • sashybih
    stealthq wrote: »

That's called a lack of knowledge, or possibly delusion. It has nothing to do with any property of artificial sweeteners.

Lots of people who are overweight drink diet sodas thinking they are keeping their calories down - and they are compared to drinking regular soda or more caloric drinks, but many fail to grasp that if that isn't putting them in a deficit (and often it doesn't because the rationale is that if they're drinking a diet they can get a bigger, more indulgent meal) then they still need to curtail their other calorie sources.

Sure…I agree with you that many people don’t count or over count calories like you said.

However, there is a good research that links properties of diet drinks with raising appetites through for example raising hormonal levels (insulin) – see links above. When insulin is up, you are feeling hungrier and tend to consume more etc. Clearly, this is on statistical basis as I explained there is minority of people that is not affected by it due to genetics, high metabolism etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    There are studies have been conducted with people not only animals. Here is just a sample…

1. The artificial sweetener sucralose (Splenda®) is capable of changing the body's insulin response, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine reported in the journal Diabetes Care. This is human study.

Sucralose Affects Glycemic and Hormonal Responses to an Oral Glucose Load – this is also human study. The result talks clearly about 20%-ish increase in insulin.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/04/30/dc12-2221

“Compared with the control condition, a 20 ± 8% greater incremental increase in insulin area under the curve (AUC) (P < 0.03), 3) a 22 ± 7% greater peak insulin secretion rate (P < 0.02)”

3. Linking obesity with artificial sweeteners - Diet Soda Intake and Risk of Incident Metabolic Syndrome (multi-ethnic, multi-year, large sample study)

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688

“At least daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36% greater relative risk of incident metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater relative risk of incident type 2 diabetes compared with nonconsumption (HR 1.36 [95% CI 1.11–1.66] for metabolic syndrome and 1.67 [1.27–2.20] for type 2 diabetes).”

“Of metabolic syndrome components, only high waist circumference (men ≥102 cm and women ≥88 cm) and high fasting glucose (≥100 mg/dl) were prospectively associated with diet soda consumption.”

4. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. Diet Soda Intake Is Associated with Long-Term Increases in Waist Circumference in a Biethnic Cohort of Older Adults: The San Antonio Longitudinal Study of aging

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/abstract;jsessionid=5D502840AFD0D131873023D1102A6C7E.f01t02

5. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%.

There is lot of it….Many popular magazines were writing about it in a more straight talk including TIME magazine etc.

It is pretty clear that someone’s apetite increases with (over)consumption of diet drinks. Again, not small consumption here and there. Not talking about 1 can in few days.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule with people with high metabolism, certain genetic predispositions, personality profiles etc. But, these people are lucky one and certainly do not represent majority of mortals like us.

Thanks for the links to other research.

Sometimes a 1 link answer that goes the direction people already believe is true causes disbelief and no followup research to what is opposite.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    I use artificial sweetners everyday. I use Splenda bc I hate the taste of asp.

They never make me hungry and satisfy my need to taste something sweet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    There are studies have been conducted with people not only animals. Here is just a sample…

1. The artificial sweetener sucralose (Splenda®) is capable of changing the body's insulin response, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine reported in the journal Diabetes Care. This is human study.

2. Sucralose Affects Glycemic and Hormonal Responses to an Oral Glucose Load – this is also human study. The result talks clearly about 20%-ish increase in insulin.

“Compared with the control condition, a 20 ± 8% greater incremental increase in insulin area under the curve (AUC) (P < 0.03), 3) a 22 ± 7% greater peak insulin secretion rate (P < 0.02)”

3. Linking obesity with artificial sweeteners - Diet Soda Intake and Risk of Incident Metabolic Syndrome (multi-ethnic, multi-year, large sample study)

“At least daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36% greater relative risk of incident metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater relative risk of incident type 2 diabetes compared with nonconsumption (HR 1.36 [95% CI 1.11–1.66] for metabolic syndrome and 1.67 [1.27–2.20] for type 2 diabetes).”

“Of metabolic syndrome components, only high waist circumference (men ≥102 cm and women ≥88 cm) and high fasting glucose (≥100 mg/dl) were prospectively associated with diet soda consumption.”

4. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. Diet Soda Intake Is Associated with Long-Term Increases in Waist Circumference in a Biethnic Cohort of Older Adults: The San Antonio Longitudinal Study of aging

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/abstract;jsessionid=5D502840AFD0D131873023D1102A6C7E.f01t02

5. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%.

There is lot of it….Many popular magazines were writing about it in a more straight talk including TIME magazine etc.

It is pretty clear that someone’s apetite increases with (over)consumption of diet drinks. Again, not small consumption here and there. Not talking about 1 can in few days.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule with people with high metabolism, certain genetic predispositions, personality profiles etc. But, these people are lucky one and certainly do not represent majority of mortals like us.

Thanks for the links. The below is based on the experience of one person with a lot of comments. While not science it does indicate some people seem to have health issues from sweetener usage.

healthychoices4life.com/aspartame-poisoning-stole-20-years-of-good-health-.html

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member

2. Sucralose Affects Glycemic and Hormonal Responses to an Oral Glucose Load – this is also human study. The result talks clearly about 20%-ish increase in insulin.

Thanks for the links. The below is based on the experience of one person with a lot of comments. While not science it does indicate some people seem to have health issues from sweetener usage.

I don't think anyone here would say that no one has issues with sweeteners, it is known specifically that some people have genetic issues dealing the aspartame just like I have friends who swell up like a balloon when they have a peanut. The point is that for the vast majority of people the FUD about artificial sweeteners is just that FUD. If they cause a person issues, don't use them, but don't present that as a reason for no one to use them or that they are unsafe in themselves.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

I don't think anyone here would say that no one has issues with sweeteners, it is known specifically that some people have genetic issues dealing the aspartame just like I have friends who swell up like a balloon when they have a peanut. The point is that for the vast majority of people the FUD about artificial sweeteners is just that FUD. If they cause a person issues, don't use them, but don't present that as a reason for no one to use them or that they are unsafe in themselves.

Those links aren't dealing with anything about being unsafe at all. It's slightly off-topic to the OP's post.
    And it was never presented by the poster of the links as a reason for all people to avoid them.

It's merely about how there may be undesired side effects for some, just like if they ate carbs or so called "natural" sweeteners.

Your response may be to a person that under other threads does present things in a certain way.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Don't mind me, just adding a recent video from Dr. Layne Norton who has a PhD in nutritional science and has also done research, as well as holds records in powelifting.

https://youtu.be/Dod6bUZYz4w
  • brentfostwood904
    brentfostwood904 Posts: 51 Member
    aspartame overexcites neurons in the brain, causing them to die, in specific areas such as the hippocampus. Animal studies with aspartame have shown a hole in the hippocampus being caused by aspartame. My ex girlfriend who is now 21 used to drink about 8 cans of diet coke every day for years since the age of 12, and her memory is terrible, I fully believe the link to neuron death due to aspartame and I've seen how addictive it can get (she could not deal with not having diet coke at all and any aspartame free substitute did not work). It is something which is both addictive and causes death of neurons. Best avoided.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    aspartame overexcites neurons in the brain, causing them to die, in specific areas such as the hippocampus. Animal studies with aspartame have shown a hole in the hippocampus being caused by aspartame. My ex girlfriend who is now 21 used to drink about 8 cans of diet coke every day for years since the age of 12, and her memory is terrible, I fully believe the link to neuron death due to aspartame and I've seen how addictive it can get (she could not deal with not having diet coke at all and any aspartame free substitute did not work). It is something which is both addictive and causes death of neurons. Best avoided.

Do you have a source for this claim?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

Wait, what?? I have a freaking HOLE in my brain? Presumably a really big one since I've been drinking aspertame since it came on the market? *making a note to request a brain scan asap*
  • brentfostwood904
    malibu927 wrote: »

Do you have a source for this claim?

go and check out the animal model studies on aspartame and the hippocampus, theres a lot more than one out there. Read the long term studies because a lot of the short term studies say there is no effect.. but they are done over a stupid amount of time like 2 days.. so these ones are hardly well designed studies.
  • brentfostwood904
    here is a nice study for people if you cant find them so easily yourself http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231714000640
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016

Where to even start?

1. I used to be overweight and a pre-diabetic.
    2. Decided to lose the weight and one of the first things I did was switch from regular soda, to diet. Before that I did not consume artificial sweeteners
    3. Lost 50lbs, while drinking 4-6 cans of diet soda a day
    4. Blood work improved drastically, glucose numbers started coming back under 100
    5. I've been maintaining the loss for several years now:
    -I still drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day
    -my glucose numbers are still consistently under 100
    -rest of my blood work is also consistently good
    -blood pressure is great
    -latest waist measurement was 25 (done by a medical professional)
    -my bmi is 21
    6. Diet soda does not cause me to overeat on calories, and I have no problem maintaining my loss while continuing to drink diet soda every single day.

So yeah, I must be a special freak snowflake :p

eta: read your other post "However, it is not a secret that tiny minority of people sustain long-term weight loss by doing strict calorie restrictive diets and unsustainable exercise regimes", I don't do that either-I maintain on around 1,800 calories a day and I don't have an established exercise routine at all, besides regular day to day activities. Been maintaining for almost 4 years now, doing things in a way that's sustainable for me, for the next 40 or 50 years :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Where to even start?

1. I used to be overweight and a pre-diabetic. Decided to lose the weight and one of the first things I did was switch from regular soda, to diet. Before that I did not consume artificial sweeteners.
    2. Lost 50lbs, while drinking 4-6 cans of diet soda a day
    3. Blood work improved drastically, glucose numbers started coming back under 100
    4. I've been maintaining the loss for several years now:
    -I still drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day
    -my glucose numbers are still consistently under 100
    -rest of my blood work is also consistently good
    -blood pressure is great
    -latest waist measurement was 25 (done by a medical professional)
    -my bmi is 21.
    5. Diet soda does not cause me to overeat on calories and I have no problem maintaining my loss while continuing to drink diet soda every single day.

So yeah, I must be a special freak snowflake :p

Freak!