This absolutely sucks.

Options

Replies

• espressoself
    espressoself Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Agreed with all the folks who posted above. It's horrible your parents are pressuring you to change your body, or would have the audacity to complain about your lifestyle daily, or think they know what even constitutes a healthy rate of weight loss for you (after all, they are not you at the end of the day and can't possibly know what is best for your body).
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah, I know that it's considered to be a good weight loss for this short amount of time. I'm 5'2'' btw. The thing is, my parents expect me to lose like two pounds a week. I try to eat healthy, food scale and all, the whole food pyramid taken into consideration. Vegetables and fruits and my type of thing and I've cut down my portion size a lot recently. I exercise almost daily, save maybe one or two days.

My parents just expect me to lose a lot more and they complain every single day that I never do enough exercise when I actually do try.

OKay, that is a problem. You are assumed 18, as your profile says, and an adult, ignore your parent's negativity and go at your own pace. What do they want you to kill yourself with exercise, geeze. Sometime I wake up and I'm 10lbs heavier than the other day! Losing numbers on the scale like that is unreasonable. If you really want to track your loss for YOURSELF do it in inches, not lbs. Good luck to you and take what they say with a grain of salt.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    The comments about your parents is quite disturbing. Did you recently put on a lot of weight quickly? What was their response during that time? Supportive and helpful? Seems odd that all of the sudden they "expect" you to lose an arbitrary amount of weight. Any other info that might be helpful?
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    what types of foods are you eating? how much do you exercise?

neither of these things matter.

CICO and exercise is not required for weight loss...only a calorie deficit.

Ok, I'll give you that.. the professor who went on that Twinkie diet at a deficit certainly did lose weight. But a person eating 90% calories from sugar/processed food that never exercises is clearly going to change their body composition/weight differently than a person eating a good distribution of whole foods/generally healthy things and exercises regularly. You put on more muscle mass if you exercise regularly, which increases your metabolism, which does affect your body composition, etc etc.

OP should also note weight =/= body composition =/= the ultimate measure of your health. As others have mentioned, you're losing at a good pace - fast is not always better. Best of luck.

FTFY.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously questioning whether you're really 18 right now.

But regardless, maybe you should sit down and talk to your parents. Tell them that their expectations are too high and that you're ok with whatever loss you do have.

I'm 5'2 and weigh the same as you. I wouldn't expect to lose 2 lbs/week, ever. 1.5 lbs at most, but closer to 1 lbs. It's about losing in a healthy manner, not as fast as possible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know that it's considered to be a good weight loss for this short amount of time. I'm 5'2'' btw. The thing is, my parents expect me to lose like two pounds a week. I try to eat healthy, food scale and all, the whole food pyramid taken into consideration. Vegetables and fruits and my type of thing and I've cut down my portion size a lot recently. I exercise almost daily, save maybe one or two days.

My parents just expect me to lose a lot more and they complain every single day that I never do enough exercise when I actually do try.

Bring your parents to your doctor and have a convo there about their unrealistic expectations. Sounds like family therapy would be useful as well.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Your parents are on crack. I'm losing that much from less weight than you, but I've got very low average intake (right around 1200 calories) and I'm exercising a ton (for a total burn of 2200 calories). That's actually hours of my day right now (though I do most of it at a treadmill desk!).
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd question whether or not the OP is 18. I was 10 and my mom put me on a diet, so crazy can happen at any age.

The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do. In fact, I'd stop weighing yourself frequently and stick to once every 10 days.

Why are they even hounding you about this?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Pie319 wrote: »
    your parents sound like ***holes. just do what's right for you.

Agreed. 1) they should get off your case, and 2) loss is loss. There's no reason you NEED to lose at any particular rate, as long as you're losing.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I am really so to read about the pressure you are getting from your parents....my own Mother had incredibly unrealistic expectations, along with ignorance and all wrapped up in a vicious tongue. That negativity is not needed and is incredibly damaging.

Do whatever you can to protect yourself. - ignore, get as much valid information off the Web that they can look at and study and if that fails get yourself external support - maybe family Doctor, counsellor at School.

While easier said than done you must not let their negativity and falsehoods impact on you - they are wrong, wrong, wrong and your weight loss is happening just fine. As others have said it isn't linear, some weeks you will have no loss others more so....

You just do you - the smaller portions, MFP logging and getting into exercise are all great steps.....get yourself into lifting that's always inspiring and empowering.....I wonder what your parents take on a girl lifting weights. If they talk about how 'bulky' you are going to get and how you are on the road to a 'manly' physique - you'll know that their information/input is way off and best ignored.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    Food scale

This!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    It's been around one and a half weeks and I've only lost around like 0.7 pounds? I eat around 1300-1500 calories everyday and I'm currently 150lbs. Aren't I supposed to lose more? Does anyone have any tips for losing weight faster and maintaining that weight? My weight's gone up and down over the last few years and I just want to get healthy again.

Too short a timeframe. See your weight loss after a month.

68kg is already pretty small isn't it? Like not a lot of fat to lose? Less to lose I hear is harder and you should be aiming for like half a pound a week.

Are you a midget? Dwarf? Young child?

Seems 68kg or 150 pounds is fairly skinny, like your not obese at that weight as far as I am aware.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    It's been around one and a half weeks and I've only lost around like 0.7 pounds? I eat around 1300-1500 calories everyday and I'm currently 150lbs. Aren't I supposed to lose more? Does anyone have any tips for losing weight faster and maintaining that weight? My weight's gone up and down over the last few years and I just want to get healthy again.

It took me about 10 days before I lost anything. Have patience.

• initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options

It's been said a lot, but the more people that say it, the more I hope it will help--don't let your parents make you feel bad about your weight loss rate or pressure you into something that is unrealistic or uncomfortable. I agree that they should talk to your doctor to get some legit expectations. But mostly just hold your ground and do what feels right to you. Sounds like they are being totally unfair and you have to see that for what it is and not let it get into your head and give you a complex (sorry if this is inaccurate and we're all way off the mark cause we don't know your family and all, but if the surface impression I get from your comment is at all accurate, I have to say something).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do.

OP already did that, and is now in a position of needing to lose weight.

The hate-on for OP's parents is a bit ridiculous since none of you have any idea at all of the context.
  • Nerdycurls
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do.

The hate-on for OP's parents is a bit ridiculous since none of you have any idea at all of the context.

It's funny how you describe it as hate on when the OP has clearly stated the parents expect a 2 pound weight loss every week and then criticize the amount of exercise. Because we all know, those things are healthy expectations and are overwhelmingly conducive to weight loss.

I'm not particularly sure why you must think the parents were so helpful in the first place, because parents are supposed to be paying attention to their children's eating habits and encouraging balanced lifestyles. This is probably due to their neglect in the first place and now they are doubling up on the pressure.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Additionally, the OP is only 5'2", further adding to the unrealisticness of a 2#/wk loss.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Additionally, the OP is only 5'2", further adding to the unrealisticness of a 2#/wk loss.

At best, this kind of pressure will just make it more stressful to the OP.

The OP hasn't given us an update so far, and we all responded to the context we were given at the time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's funny how you describe it as hate on when the OP has clearly stated the parents expect a 2 pound weight loss every week and then criticize the amount of exercise. Because we all know, those things are healthy expectations and are overwhelmingly conducive to weight loss.

Because we all know that hearing one extremely biased side of a story tells us all we need to know to jump to valid conclusions...
  • Nerdycurls
    Options

Because we all know that hearing one extremely biased side of a story tells us all we need to know to jump to valid conclusions...

Because we all know you're actually the fly on the wall? Give us a break.