How important is eating breakfast in the morning to weightloss?

Options
So, I am pretty new to this whole "lifestyle change" thing and although I don't know all that much yet, I am pretty excited to be learning different things. That being said, let's talk about breakfast! ha :)
I never eat breakfast in the morning because I am usually not hungry and also lacking time. I was talking to a colleague at work today and she voiced that not eating breakfast will ruin any chances of losing and keeping off weight!
Any thoughts on this? Will eating breakfast actually make a difference?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely not important (assuming you don't have a medical need for breakfast). Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's not important at all. Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss. I skip breakfast, have a small (400ish calories) and 1400-1600 calorie dinners. It's all about personal preference and what you find sustainable.
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Breakfast gets this crazy hype because a lot of people (myself included) feel very hungry later in the day and overeat if they skip breakfast leading to a calorie surplus at the end of the day. I am no scientist and there are some convincing studies that say that breakfast will get your metabolism going earlier in the day. I don't really buy it as your body is burning what it needs based on your activity levels (calories out).

I know others who do not eat breakfast and just drink a glass of water and can maintain their calories throughout the day without overeating and they lose weight. Diane is correct, your call.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What's fundamentally important is for you to figure out whether or not breakfast makes it easier or harder for you to adhere to a given calorie and nutrient target.

We can say with confidence that dietary compliance is the number one factor to long term weight management, so this is one of those things where doing what best contributes to diet compliance makes the most sense and that answer isn't going to be universal. Some people do great without any breakfast and some people are much better off with it.

Find out which group you belong to.
  • Stacey765
    Stacey765 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you don't have certain medical conditions it is completely unnecessary. Calories in < Calories out = Weight loss

If you aren't hungry don't worry about it, however, if you are hungry I wouldn't put it off too long because that could lead to binge eating.

Another thing to consider is if you are working out - - depending on the exercise I can't go on an empty stomach. When I run I go empty, when I am on my bike I need some fuel beforehand. Just something to consider.
  • tatianasalazar94
    tatianasalazar94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    What's fundamentally important is for you to figure out whether or not breakfast makes it easier or harder for you to adhere to a given calorie and nutrient target.

We can say with confidence that dietary compliance is the number one factor to long term weight management, so this is one of those things where doing what best contributes to diet compliance makes the most sense and that answer isn't going to be universal. Some people do great without any breakfast and some people are much better off with it.

Find out which group you belong to.

I agree. I used to think breakfast was SO important. I mean I still religiously eat a large breakfast. But that because I'm hungry the minute I wake up and if I don't eat I tend to feel lousy, grumpy, and not fully "awake"
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating breakfast and have sufficient energy to make it to lunch, then don't eat breakfast. If I'm working hard, I can only make it to 10:00 or so without breakfast. My standard breakfast is 3 hard boiled eggs (210 calories), which sustain me until noon or so.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    For me? Very important, i can function without it, my most important meal of the day! For others? Ummm not so much, is not essencial at all, and they do just fine with their weight loss, do what works for you and that's it
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat breakfast is when I'm out of the house early enough for McD's breakfast, which is almost never. Loss as of Monday: 36.6 lbs since January.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yep like it's said it's not fundamentally important for weight loss.

That being said you need to find what works for you. If I don't eat breakfast I find myself very hungry and making poor choices the rest of the day. If you don't, the by all means skip it.
  • jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I typically work out at lunch. If I skipped breakfast and tried to do a strenuous workout after not eating for 16-17 hours, I'd likely faint. Having something at breakfast gives things plenty of time to digest and then lets me have a decent workout 4-5 hours later. When I was younger I skipped breakfast a lot. I generally felt more lethargic until I had lunch at noon, then I'd pound down too much food. Skipping breakfast doesn't work for me any more.

When I started tracking and measuring, I was eating cereal for breakfast a lot -- and wow is it easy to end up with 2-3 servings of cereal in a bowl. Nowadays my breakfast is usually two eggs, either with a couple slices of toast or on a tortilla with salsa -- so it's not big. It takes about five minutes to make it. I could do it faster if I cooked the eggs in the microwave, but I like them in the skillet. It gives me enough to make it to my workout, then I have a lunch around 1pm that carries me to dinner. Sometimes I need a snack around 3pm, but not always.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    For me, I get hungry about an hour or so after I wake up. I usually work out on an empty stomach and then eat something after. Eat when you are hungry.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is a personal decision but I think there are other reasons it is important . I cannot function as well without nutrition and if I wait too long to eat I feel yucky and then I tend to binge. Do whats right for you but note that if you snack a lot at night it might be because you are hungry from not eating breakfast
  • egorman88
    egorman88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is extremely important! It all depends on WHAT you eat (protein with complex carbs) in order to fuel your body to get it started for the day! By having a proper breakfast, you'll be able to have more control over your cravings and portions later in the day. Yes, it does matter more with certain medical conditions (I have type one diabetes), but it's also important for weight loss results and for feeling energized. If we skip meals or go more than 5 hours without eating, our portions tend to get larger which interferes with our goals. Something such as Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of berries or whole wheat English muffin with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter can still be generally low in calories, but help keep you on track for the rest of the day.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    egorman88 wrote: »
    Breakfast is extremely important! It all depends on WHAT you eat (protein with complex carbs) in order to fuel your body to get it started for the day! By having a proper breakfast, you'll be able to have more control over your cravings and portions later in the day. Yes, it does matter more with certain medical conditions (I have type one diabetes), but it's also important for weight loss results and for feeling energized. If we skip meals or go more than 5 hours without eating, our portions tend to get larger which interferes with our goals. Something such as Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of berries or whole wheat English muffin with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter can still be generally low in calories, but help keep you on track for the rest of the day.

But what if we can skip breakfast and NOT eat larger portions later? Is breakfast still necessary?

What if we skip breakfast IN ORDER to eat larger portions later?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

But if you are controlling calories, then meal timing doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how you feel when you skip a meal. The contents of that meal is also a matter of personal preference.

And you don't need "get your body started for the day." It's going to get started whether you eat or not. In fact, it was going before you even woke up.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

But what if we can skip breakfast and NOT eat larger portions later? Is breakfast still necessary?

What if we skip breakfast IN ORDER to eat larger portions later?

Right?

-61 pounds. Mostly 16:8 fasting, so no breakfast til after 2 pm. Massive salad at lunch. Big dinner. Moderate snack.

I put on weight eating breakfast--I am generally not hungry in the AM but bough5t into the hype. It wasn't the sole cause of my weight gain, but it didn't help.

And it makes me hungrier all day.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Timing of the meals is not important for weight loss.
    Breakfast is my most important meal of the day because I workout very early and I have my breakfast right afterwards.
    It works for me. It will not work for somebody else.
    Every person has to find what works for them.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    jhard728 wrote: »
    Breakfast gets this crazy hype because a lot of people (myself included) feel very hungry later in the day and overeat if they skip breakfast