No Sugar Diet

Options

Replies

• BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

its very bad for your teeth
    can over load your liver
    fatty liver disease (i have that)
    sugar can give you cancer
    sugar promotes fat, due to the effet on the brain and hormones
    highly addictive
    leading contributor to obesity
    raises cholesterol and risk heart disease

info from my dietitian and this website
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »
    blb85 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be arguing the point that sugar should not be eliminated due to it not having an effect on weight loss. But what about the health benefits for some of us who need to cut down on the processed foods/sugar? I have a sugar addiction, I am well aware of it. No, I don't crave chocolate or candy, but rather I crave the sugar drinks like lattes and baked goods and other high carb/no nutrition treats/foods. And too much sugar has been proven to wreak havoc on our bodies by causing us to have digestive issues, high blood pressure or cholesterol causing heart disease or diabetes, acne, etc. It's been proven that Americans eat way more sugar than what is recommended, obviously sugar is natural in some healthy food; but we are talking more about the unhealthy sugar that we need to eliminate from our systems for health reasons. Maybe for us who know we have to put a stop to this, is why we want to know how people have managed to turn their diets around by either cutting down or eliminating sugar from their daily life.

Could you please cite the sources you used to gather this very unusual information?

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
    http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20637702,00.html
    http://www.livescience.com/36188-sugar-bad.html

It just goes without saying, it's not at all healthy to be adding a ton of sugar on a daily basis to your diet. I'm not saying that you shouldn't still eat fruits and dairy where sugar is a part of naturally; but we shouldn't be eating a ton of the processed sugar in our diets since its just empty calories and no added nutritional value for us. Sugar is an addiction that is not good for the long term.

""Eating sugar per se does not cause diabetes," ... http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2

So the first link you provided counters your claim. Your second link tries to differentiate between sugars that are identical in reality. Your third link is nothing but anecdotes without a single study cited.

When did sugar, a carb, stop being a macronutrient?

The day it replaced fat as the dietary boogey man.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - so you are going to eat no bread, fruit, vegetables, etc, because sugar?

You can eat sugar and lose weight; consequently, you can limit sugar, overeat and gain weight. The culprit is not sugar but consuming too many calories.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

Takeaway message of said article...
    For people who can’t tolerate it, added sugar is incredibly harmful.

So yes, if you have a medical condition, it can be bad. Not everyone has medical conditions though.
    Do people even read what they post anymore?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect.
    and apples, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower...
    I hope you don't eat any fruit and veggies anymore, they turn into glucose.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

insulin resistance, then prediabetes, and ultimately type 2 diabetes follow from lifestyle choices

the leading contributor to obesity is eating too much. it is the ONLY way to gain weight if you do not have another medical condition which would change this

no one here is saying sugar is ok in any amount you want

we are ALL saying that you must enjoy it in moderation
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

None of these are actual sources, and some of this stuff is laughable.

From your third link:

"15. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose."

Really? Pretty much anything we eat can raise fasting blood glucose, hence the reason why the doctors tell us to refrain from eating or drinking anything before a fasting blood test.

"85. Sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress."

Well, so can aging. So we better just kill ourselves now to avoid that.

This is getting ridiculous.

*ETA: LOL at the comments on that blog post. Oh my God.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    I just make a conscious choice not to eat refined sugar on a regular basis. I didn't use a book or diet. There's no nutritional benefit that it adds to my health and for me it's not about weight loss but overall health and nutrition. You might want to try gradually weaning yourself off sugary foods so you're not overwhelming yourself with a quick change. After two years, we don't miss it, losing weight is effortless and our health has never been better. Do we indulge on special occasions? Sometimes, however, we find now that after being off it so long, the crappy feeling when we do eat sugary treats just isn't worth it. Good luck finding what works best for you.

plenty of people eat "refined sugar" and are "healthy"....all that requires is hitting your micros and macors and getting most of your foods from nutrient dense sources.

• ndj1979
    Options

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

based on this list, I should be a cancer ridden, obese, live diseased, addictive, high cholesterol machine...

Please just stop with this nonsense.

People always correlate this nonsense based on studies of obese people, and yes to get obese you would have to consume a large amount of sugar within a diet that contains a lot of other calories, so there is no way to just pin every single ailment that n obese person could develop on sugar.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

based on this list, I should be a cancer ridden, obese, live diseased, addictive, high cholesterol machine...

People always correlate this nonsense based on studies of obese people, and yes to get obese you would have to consume a large amount of sugar within a diet that contains a lot of other calories, so there is no way to just pin every single ailment that n obese person could develop on sugar.

yes and the mere presence of glucose in the bloodstream cannot cause insulin resistance or everyone on the planet would have it...

worst dietitian ever? gets my vote
  • ndj1979
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

yes and the mere presence of glucose in the bloodstream cannot cause insulin resistance or everyone on the planet would have it...

worst dietitian ever? gets my vote

cosign
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just make a conscious choice not to eat refined sugar on a regular basis. I didn't use a book or diet. There's no nutritional benefit that it adds to my health and for me it's not about weight loss but overall health and nutrition. You might want to try gradually weaning yourself off sugary foods so you're not overwhelming yourself with a quick change. After two years, we don't miss it, losing weight is effortless and our health has never been better. Do we indulge on special occasions? Sometimes, however, we find now that after being off it so long, the crappy feeling when we do eat sugary treats just isn't worth it. Good luck finding what works best for you.

plenty of people eat "refined sugar" and are "healthy"....all that requires is hitting your micros and macors and getting most of your foods from nutrient dense sources.

You are absolutely right! That's why it's so individual and I can only speak what worked for me. I choose not to fit pop tarts and cake into my eating plan because I felt horrible when consuming those. Hopefully the OP finds what works for her.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Saying that diabetes and obesity, as well as feeling like crap, simply because you ate some "processed sugar" is like saying that people fall and drown in pools because Nicolas Cage is appearing in films.

ez6rkwhg6o50.png

Correlation =/= causation.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You are absolutely right! That's why it's so individual and I can only speak what worked for me. I choose not to fit pop tarts and cake into my eating plan because I felt horrible when consuming those. Hopefully the OP finds what works for her.

actually, barring a medical condition everyone can consume sugar and be healthy...even those with a medical condition can have some and still be healthy.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Saying that diabetes and obesity, as well as feeling like crap, simply because you ate some "processed sugar" is like saying that people fall and drown in pools because Nicolas Cage is appearing in films.

ez6rkwhg6o50.png

I don't know man..have you seen some of his movies lately????
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

ez6rkwhg6o50.png

Please note: It's people FALLING into pools and drowning, not jumping in and committing suicide.
  • ndj1979
    Options

ez6rkwhg6o50.png

Please note: It's people FALLING into pools and drowning, not jumping in and committing suicide.

LOL ..

I think they are so mind numbed from his movies that they just fall in like zombies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So many people don't realize how many foods contain sugars, especially the natural sugars. And then there's the carbohydrates like pasta and bread that whoosh in to the system nearly as fast. Gonna cut all those, too?

Trying to cut all sugars is a recipe for failure. Especially when MFP starts informing dieters of all the dastardly foods that contain natural sugar.

I had a chicken thigh, watermelon, and Greek yogurt for lunch. "Should" I have cut the watermelon (natural fructose I assume), and the yogurt (lactose)? Sheesh, what's left to eat?
  • mommy2TandN
    mommy2TandN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.
This discussion has been closed.