going to see a dietician tomorrow

Options
After a year of begging my primary care provider for a referral, I finally got one of their practitioners that would do so! I was just wondering what some questions I should be asking? My goal is to get a plan I can stick to.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    But what is your actual goal? Lose weight, gain muscle, maintain?

It's sort of like asking "can you get me a car?" well, what type? Colour? Interior?
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    But what is your actual goal? Lose weight, gain muscle, maintain?

It's sort of like asking "can you get me a car?" well, what type? Colour? Interior?

Just to eat healthier in general.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    I know that sounds odd. I was asking to see one because I have celiacs disease, hashimotos, and no ovaries. How I eat impacts how I feel. I work full time, and have two kids so I'm looking for help to be balanced but convenient.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would start with their recommendation for daily calorie goal and a recommendation for macro goals. Also for food/recipe ideas to help you meet their recommendations.
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »
    I would start with their recommendation for daily calorie goal and a recommendation for macro goals. Also for food/recipe ideas to help you meet their recommendations.

This. If they don't know what a macro is walk out.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    Tell them what's specific to you, your medical conditions, the fact that you have kids etc. I work nights and have always had trouble with dieticians giving me stock answers of what may work for the general population,when I was looking for help with managing eating between 7P-7A hours 3 times a week. Make sure they know what foods you are allergic to or simply hate and don't want to eat so they don't include those in meal plans. Just present yourself as an individual so they can customize something that fits you, because that will make you more successful. I finally found someone I like, who is helping me with my polycystic ovarian syndrome and what to tweak to help me with that. And she gets the weird work hours, she used to work in the same hospital I now work in. Good luck.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    Tell them what's specific to you, your medical conditions, the fact that you have kids etc. I work nights and have always had trouble with dieticians giving me stock answers of what may work for the general population,when I was looking for help with managing eating between 7P-7A hours 3 times a week. Make sure they know what foods you are allergic to or simply hate and don't want to eat so they don't include those in meal plans. Just present yourself as an individual so they can customize something that fits you, because that will make you more successful. I finally found someone I like, who is helping me with my polycystic ovarian syndrome and what to tweak to help me with that. And she gets the weird work hours, she used to work in the same hospital I now work in. Good luck.

Thank ya much. That's what I'm hoping for is someone who can customize and not give stock answers. I reeeally need help finding a plan that doesn't have me looking for food at the vending machine by 3pm ya know?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a dietician starts off by asking what you ate the last two days. That way, he/she has something to work with and can suggest changes.