For some, has avoiding fat been more effective than avoiding carbs for weight loss?

Options
I've tried paleo/whole 30 because people swear by it and I also have PCOS, which is a condition that has low carb diets recommended for it. When I've done 30 day challenges for these types of diets, I would still watch portions or count calories but I actually lost less weight than when I ate normally. I lost even more weight when I tried a plant based challenge. All you hear about on forums and in the news nowadays is about how bad carbs/grains are for weight loss. Has anyone else found the opposite to be true that cutting fat has effected your weight loss rather than cutting carbs?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    For two months, I've been feeling guilty that I am almost always over on my fat, but since I've been consistently losing a pound a week, I'm getting over that feeling.

I did cut carbs by reducing simple carbs.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The fact of the matter is that people have been trying to pin down the "cause" of weight gain for many years. One day it's fat, the next day it's carbs, then it's gluten, then back to carbs again but only in the form of added sugars. Truthfully, the only thing that matters is calories, plain and simple.

You need to invest in a food scale. Get one on Amazon or Wal-Mart for $10-15. Use it to log your calories as accurately as possible. Work on finding a macronutrient balance that keeps you feeling satiated. For some, high-carb/low-fat works best. For others, low-carb/high-fat works best. For a lot of people, a more balanced approach works best.

One macronutrient is not going to impact your weight loss. It comes down to your overall caloric intake.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Jbarbo01 wrote: »
    I've tried paleo/whole 30 because people swear by it and I also have PCOS, which is a condition that has low carb diets recommended for it. When I've done 30 day challenges for these types of diets, I would still watch portions or count calories but I actually lost less weight than when I ate normally. I lost even more weight when I tried a plant based challenge. All you hear about on forums and in the news nowadays is about how bad carbs/grains are for weight loss. Has anyone else found the opposite to be true that cutting fat has effected your weight loss rather than cutting carbs?

Well, I don't have PCOS, so I can't speak on behalf of the special dietary needs that come with that.
    Fat has a significant amount of calories per gram, so if people are "cutting" fat when it has made up a portion of their calorie surplus, they are now creating a calorie deficit. Same with carbohydrates. If you are suddenly eating less of either one, and are creating a calorie deficit for yourself, it will appear that it is the cause for the weight loss.

The only bad carbs/grains are the ones that are moldy or have the occasional bugs in the bag.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    It is not a simple matter of just cutting fat and carbs; manufactured fats like canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil should be eliminated entirely because they serve no nutritional purpose. Most fats, like bacon and eggs, butter, coconut oil and other saturated fats should be increased because saturated fats and cholesterol are healthy. Same thing with refined white sugar, white flour, white rice etc. If it is manufactured you should not ever eat it. If the sugar is in whole raw fruits or vegetables you can eat lots. Nutrition is far too complex to be based merely upon macro-nutrients: CARBS, FAT, PROTEIN.

Facepalm.

OP, ignore this post. It is nonsense.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    It is not a simple matter of just cutting fat and carbs; manufactured fats like canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil should be eliminated entirely because they serve no nutritional purpose. Most fats, like bacon and eggs, butter, coconut oil and other saturated fats should be increased because saturated fats and cholesterol are healthy. Same thing with refined white sugar, white flour, white rice etc. If it is manufactured you should not ever eat it. If the sugar is in whole raw fruits or vegetables you can eat lots. Nutrition is far too complex to be based merely upon macro-nutrients: CARBS, FAT, PROTEIN.

Facepalm.

WOW, are you advising eating vegetable oils, white sugar and white flour and throwing away egg yolks?

Yes, except for the yolk part. That is the best part of the egg.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Facepalm.

WOW, are you advising eating vegetable oils, white sugar and white flour and throwing away egg yolks?

There's nothing wrong with vegetable oils or white sugar and flour, and unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to restrict them. They won't hinder weight loss...a calorie surplus will.
  • jnv7594
    Options
    Then could you please stop sabotaging the efforts of people who really care about nutrition?

Nobody here is trying to sabotage anyone. Only offering helpful advice.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Then could you please stop sabotaging the efforts of people who really care about nutrition?

May I ask the same of you? Implying that we do not care about nutrition because our views do not align is petty.
  • jnv7594
    edited June 2015
    Options
    LOL...I stand by what I said. I've lost over 90 pounds eating these things. They don't hinder weight loss. Eating too many calories does. These things are fine in moderation, and won't negatively effect your health unless you have an underlying medical condition.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015
    Options

Lol.
  • missiontofitness
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

Facepalm.

There's nothing wrong with vegetable oils or white sugar and flour, and unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to restrict them. They won't hinder weight loss...a calorie surplus will.

Cut the excessive copy/paste. -MTF

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Facepalm.

+1
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Facepalm.

Cut the excessive copy/paste. -MTF

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html

Lundell seems to be popular tonight.
  • jnv7594
    edited June 2015
    Options
    LOL...I stand by what I said. I've lost over 90 pounds eating these things. They don't hinder weight loss. Eating too many calories does. These things are fine in moderation, and won't negatively effect your health.

I'm sorry to bore you with facts once your mind is made up. The only negative part of MFP is the blind who want to lead everyone else to blindness. The saturated fat and cholesterol scare was based on 70 year old studies which used bad science and have long since been disproved. But the manufacturers of poisons make a fortune off you and want you to continue buying their refuse.

I never said a thing about cholesterol and saturated fats. And I still stand by what I said. Your "facts" were dug up from a source that is biased towards your side. I could find articles that support my side as well...that all foods are fine and won't negatively effect your health if eaten in moderation. Call me blind all you want, but this method (eating all foods in moderation) has helped me lose a substantial amount of weight, is sustainable, and has not had a negative impact on my health. We could go round and round on this all night. It's been done before tirelessly on this forum. We will just have to agree to disagree. Have a good night.