For some, has avoiding fat been more effective than avoiding carbs for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    So, anyone who identifies the real cause of obesity and heart disease is a quack?

I have a feeling you're trolling, but I'll entertain you.

No. No where did I state that in my post. You mentioned him specifically. I responded to his history specifically.
    I would not trust him for nutrition advice, because he clearly cannot follow medical protocols properly. You do not get your license revoked without due cause.

Additionally, for someone with financial problems of his magnitude, the amount he charges for access to his programs is high. He has financial motives to promote this philosophy/his products.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Shoving too much in my pie hole caused me to gain weight.
    Shoving less in my pie hole causes me to lose weight.

Simple.

The reason junk type foods aren't good for you is because they have very little nutritional value.
    Also people tend to underestimate or "forget" how much of these things they have consumed.

Of course people can do what they want and they will but I'll save the majority of my calories for things that have vitamins, minerals, etc. that my body needs to function.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    LOL...I stand by what I said. I've lost over 90 pounds eating these things. They don't hinder weight loss. Eating too many calories does. These things are fine in moderation, and won't negatively effect your health.

I'm sorry to bore you with facts once your mind is made up. The only negative part of MFP is the blind who want to lead everyone else to blindness. The saturated fat and cholesterol scare was based on 70 year old studies which used bad science and have long since been disproved. But the manufacturers of poisons make a fortune off you and want you to continue buying their refuse.

I never said a thing about cholesterol and saturated fats. And I still stand by what I said. Your "facts" were dug up from a source that is biased towards your side. I could find articles that support my side as well...that all foods are fine and won't negatively effect your health if eaten in moderation. Call me blind all you want, but this method (eating all foods in moderation) has helped me lose a substantial amount of weight, is sustainable, and has not had a negative impact on my health. We could go round and round on this all night. It's been done before tirelessly on this forum. We will just have to agree to disagree. Have a good night.

My sources are so obscure that I have hundreds of them which I am not allowed to show in this forum. I am having trouble believing what you actually wrote:

» show previous quotes

There's nothing wrong with vegetable oils or white sugar and flour, and unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to restrict them. They won't hinder weight loss...a calorie surplus will.

It seems 70% of North America have these medical conditions: OBESITY AND HEART DISEASE!

Let's take this to PMs if you want to continue this conversation. You are now teetering towards hijacking the OP's thread.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I dropped most simple carbs and lowered my fat across the board, so it's hard to say which is more responsible. However, simple carbs like white breads and pastas tended to make me want more white breads and pastas, so cutting them out helped me eat less in a big way.

I try to eat healthy because I want to be healthy, but it certainly helps with both weight loss and satiety. :)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    LOL...I stand by what I said. I've lost over 90 pounds eating these things. They don't hinder weight loss. Eating too many calories does. These things are fine in moderation, and won't negatively effect your health.

I'm sorry to bore you with facts once your mind is made up. The only negative part of MFP is the blind who want to lead everyone else to blindness. The saturated fat and cholesterol scare was based on 70 year old studies which used bad science and have long since been disproved. But the manufacturers of poisons make a fortune off you and want you to continue buying their refuse.

I never said a thing about cholesterol and saturated fats. And I still stand by what I said. Your "facts" were dug up from a source that is biased towards your side. I could find articles that support my side as well...that all foods are fine and won't negatively effect your health if eaten in moderation. Call me blind all you want, but this method (eating all foods in moderation) has helped me lose a substantial amount of weight, is sustainable, and has not had a negative impact on my health. We could go round and round on this all night. It's been done before tirelessly on this forum. We will just have to agree to disagree. Have a good night.

My sources are so obscure that I have hundreds of them which I am not allowed to show in this forum. I am having trouble believing what you actually wrote:

» show previous quotes

There's nothing wrong with vegetable oils or white sugar and flour, and unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to restrict them. They won't hinder weight loss...a calorie surplus will.

It seems 70% of North America have these medical conditions: OBESITY AND HEART DISEASE!

;

Yup, I wrote it, and I stand by it. Those foods will not cause you to gain weight. A calorie surplus will. You can have those foods in moderation as part of a healthy diet and they won't negatively effect your health. The reason that obesity is rampant is because people eat too much. Period. We have super size fries, burgers, drinks, etc. There's nothing wrong with these foods in smaller portions. It's when people eat them in large portions repeatedly that they gain weight due to a calorie surplus. I know how I got fat. I ate whole pizzas, super sized everything, and drank a ton of soda. Now, I have lost close to 100 pounds by still eating those things in smaller portions. Instead of having a whole pizza, I have a slice or two. Instead of having super size portions, I weigh and measure my foods out to single portion servings. I eat these foods in moderation along with a balanced diet, and my health has improved substantially. You won't change my mind on this, lol. Like I said, we will have to agree to disagree.

I'm off to bed. Have a good night. :)

• emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own beliefs about what works for them. I have an endocrinologist who has never had a weight problem tell me "everything in moderation." That doesn't work for me. I have struggled with weight my whole life. This past March I stopped eating anything processed, stopped eating grains, and started taking probiotics. I am losing weight -- at the age of 60, in menopause, with a 50-year history of diet failures -- at a rate which is astounding me. 25 lbs in 14 weeks.

And I am not white-knuckling this diet, just trying to get through the day, constantly fighting the urge to eat. It has enough satiety to keep me from struggling -- and allows me to keep my calories low enough, for long enough, to see this significant weight loss. My average percentage of carbs per week has ranged from 16% to 25%, fats from 50% to 63%, protein from 19% to 24%. Some days in a week I want more of a macronutrient and I let myself have it, knowing that the next day I'll lean more towards the others. All I can say is, "This works for me."

So you need to find out what works for you. Ignore anyone who says, "This worked for me, so obviously it is the only right way to do it." Just experiment with what makes you feel the best, and what gives you the results you want.
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You will go insane with no dietary fat in your diet. It's not a good idea. It will work to a point 1gram of fat is 9cals and carbs and protein are 4 call per gram. Protein and fat are necessary to a healthy diet. Carbs aren't a necessity
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Then could you please stop sabotaging the efforts of people who really care about nutrition?

Lol.

Ignore Bill the quack. Listen to the others.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat helps the body absorb nutrients ...cutting it out is a bad idea

In fact fat and protein should both be set as minimums
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It is not a simple matter of just cutting fat and carbs; manufactured fats like canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil should be eliminated entirely because they serve no nutritional purpose. Most fats, like bacon and eggs, butter, coconut oil and other saturated fats should be increased because saturated fats and cholesterol are healthy. Same thing with refined white sugar, white flour, white rice etc. If it is manufactured you should not ever eat it. If the sugar is in whole raw fruits or vegetables you can eat lots. Nutrition is far too complex to be based merely upon macro-nutrients: CARBS, FAT, PROTEIN.

So canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil are "manufactured" but bacon, butter, and coconut oil aren't? Because the bacon comes off the pig already smoked, the butterfat comes out of the cow already separated from the buttermilk, and you crack open a coconut and the oil runs out?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Okay, you need to:

1.) Eat enough volume and slow digesting stuff to be full.
    2.) MAYBE eat a higher protein/lower carb balance because of the PCOS.

#1, the things that will lead to greater satiety are 1) protein, 2) fats, 3) fiber, particularly insoluable, 4) bulky low calories stuff...which is really a way of saying #3 again, lol. These things make you feel full faster and stay feeling full. :)

This will lead naturally to #2. You don't have to go full "low carb" to lose, though, with PCOS.

Leave 10% to 20% of your calories for your favorite foods, depending on your calorie count and how full you feel. :)

Low-carb-ish diets tend to work better in studies for two reasons. #1, people feel fuller so they cheat less. #2, you carry around less water weight with fewer carbs, so you get a few "cheat" pounds in an experimental setting. LOL.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is not a simple matter of just cutting fat and carbs; manufactured fats like canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil should be eliminated entirely because they serve no nutritional purpose. Most fats, like bacon and eggs, butter, coconut oil and other saturated fats should be increased because saturated fats and cholesterol are healthy. Same thing with refined white sugar, white flour, white rice etc. If it is manufactured you should not ever eat it. If the sugar is in whole raw fruits or vegetables you can eat lots. Nutrition is far too complex to be based merely upon macro-nutrients: CARBS, FAT, PROTEIN.

So canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil are "manufactured" but bacon, butter, and coconut oil aren't? Because the bacon comes off the pig already smoked, the butterfat comes out of the cow already separated from the buttermilk, and you crack open a coconut and the oil runs out?

I wonder if sugar direct from the cane is ok. :p

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    By eliminating carbs you eliminate a lot of foods, by eliminating fat you also eliminate a lot of foods. Both method works. There are vegans who stay lean on a very low fat diet, there are paleo people who maintain their weight on a very high fat diet.

You can choose to starve yourself of a certain macronutrient but you don't have to go that far to lose weight.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    emmaps55 wrote: »
    Everyone has their own beliefs about what works for them. I have an endocrinologist who has never had a weight problem tell me "everything in moderation." That doesn't work for me. I have struggled with weight my whole life. This past March I stopped eating anything processed, stopped eating grains, and started taking probiotics. I am losing weight -- at the age of 60, in menopause, with a 50-year history of diet failures -- at a rate which is astounding me. 25 lbs in 14 weeks.

And I am not white-knuckling this diet, just trying to get through the day, constantly fighting the urge to eat. It has enough satiety to keep me from struggling -- and allows me to keep my calories low enough, for long enough, to see this significant weight loss. My average percentage of carbs per week has ranged from 16% to 25%, fats from 50% to 63%, protein from 19% to 24%. Some days in a week I want more of a macronutrient and I let myself have it, knowing that the next day I'll lean more towards the others. All I can say is, "This works for me."

So you need to find out what works for you. Ignore anyone who says, "This worked for me, so obviously it is the only right way to do it." Just experiment with what makes you feel the best, and what gives you the results you want.

And that's why you are losing. It's not the probiotics or anything else.

The bad part about people who've figured it out being too cavalier about eating anything is that it leaves a lot of people trying to figure out how to make it work. They just hear "you can eat anything you want in moderation" and just try to slash volume across the board...which will usually make you miserable.

Keeping satiety high is important. You have to shift around your foods to eat more stuff that fills you up for cheap. :) YES, you can lose on a Twinkies-only diet, but you'll be miserable and hungry on it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Dietary fat helps the body absorb nutrients ...cutting it out is a bad idea

In fact fat and protein should both be set as minimums

In addition to this, fats also help digestion and hormones.