Allergic to fruit - Dieting is hard

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    And the flagging begins... usually accompanied with the butthurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    moonmina wrote: »
    Please don't go around saying that you have an allergy if you have not been to an allergist. You are making things harder and more dangerous for people who actually DO have life-threatening allergies.

Fruit certainly isn't necessary for weight loss.

How tall are you? You would have to be VERY short to need to lose weight at 118 pounds.

Did not mean to offend anyone.
    I am 5'3.

5'3" and 118 pounds=a BMI of 20. You are already on the lower end of the normal weight range.

I feel like this whole thread is becoming very critical for no reason.
    I may have not gone to an allergist, but it is still an allergic reaction if my mouth and throat get irritated from eating fruit. I may not know the specifics, but I definitely do have an reaction.

Plus I may be on the lower end, but I do want to become healthier, so I would appreciate some support.
    The weight I gained was definitely from eating badly. I am wanting to have a healthier lifestyle.

I'd start by going to the doctor to find out what the deal is with your reaction to fruits--more knowledge is generally helpful and it may help you understand what you can eat with no reaction. You could also ask for a referral to a dietician.

118 is a perfectly good weight for 5'3, so likely you should be focusing on exercise/improving the composition of your body. I was generally dissatisfied with my weight when younger at around 120-25 and 5'3, but looking back (and at photos) I wasn't overweight, I simply was not in good shape and would have felt and looked better if I'd learned about strength training.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Please don't go around saying that you have an allergy if you have not been to an allergist. You are making things harder and more dangerous for people who actually DO have life-threatening allergies.

How tall are you? You would have to be VERY short to need to lose weight at 118 pounds.

I am 5'3.

5'3" and 118 pounds=a BMI of 20. You are already on the lower end of the normal weight range.

I may have not gone to an allergist, but it is still an allergic reaction if my mouth and throat get irritated from eating fruit. I may not know the specifics, but I definitely do have an reaction.

Plus I may be on the lower end, but I do want to become healthier, so I would appreciate some support.
    The weight I gained was definitely from eating badly. I am wanting to have a healthier lifestyle.

That's not always true. There are other things that can irritate your throat/mouth from fruit. For example- the citric acid or acid reflux from the acid. Not trying to be critical and sorry you feel I have been, but jumping right to "must be an allergy" when never tested is kind of premature.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Apparently!

The OPs profile says that she wants to lose 16 pounds. So her goal weight is 102 pounds. At her height, that is a BMI of 18.1. That is underweight--not a healthy goal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I am 5'3.

Not critical, just factual.

What is your weight goal? If you were to lose more than ten pounds, you would be underweight. This is especially concerning since BMI tables are already so generous for those who are short.

You cannot be allergic to all fruits--it just doesn't make sense. You might be allergic to specific chemicals in particular fruits, such as bromelain--that's a very common reaction. You may also have something like IBS which is causing stomach issues.

If you really want to be healthier, work on getting a proper diagnosis and setting healthy weight goals in cooperation with your doctor.

Amen. And to whoever flagged her, shame on you.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ::hugs:: I cannot even imagine how challenging this is for you. I have no advice, just ::hugs::
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Apparently!

The OPs profile says that she wants to lose 16 pounds. So her goal weight is 102 pounds. At her height, that is a BMI of 18.1. That is underweight--not a healthy goal.

This is more alarming than not being able to eat fruit.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    moonmina wrote:

Several years back, I went through a phase where a lot of raw fruits (including bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes) gave me an annoying itchy mouth. When it got to the point where my lips started swelling, I called it quits with raw fruit. But then a couple of springs later, I could eat raw fruit with no problem. Been that way ever since. (knock on wood it stays that way :smile:)

Wish I knew what changed. I just chalked it up to seasonal allergy overload.

As for the weight thing….I get where you're coming from. I'm around your height and excess weight shows up more than it would for a taller person. A BMI of 20 looks chunky on me.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am 5'3.

That's not always true. There are other things that can irritate your throat/mouth from fruit. For example- the citric acid or acid reflux from the acid. Not trying to be critical and sorry you feel I have been, but jumping right to "must be an allergy" when never tested is kind of premature.

Pineapple is one of these; I had a funny tingling/weird feeling on my tongue/inside my mouth after eating fresh pineapple. Came to find out that fresh pineapple can cause this due to the bromelain fresh pineapple contains. Definitely get an official test done; you may be missing out on a world of delicious fruits! Plus, if it's not an allergy, and least you have the right direction to look in if there's an underlying digestive cause.
  • moonmina
    moonmina Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    moonmina wrote:

Several years back, I went through a phase where a lot of raw fruits (including bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes) gave me an annoying itchy mouth. When it got to the point where my lips started swelling, I called it quits with raw fruit. But then a couple of springs later, I could eat raw fruit with no problem. Been that way ever since. (knock on wood it stays that way :smile:)

Wish I knew what changed. I just chalked it up to seasonal allergy overload.

As for the weight thing….I get where you're coming from. I'm around your height and excess weight shows up more than it would for a taller person. A BMI of 20 looks chunky on me.

Hopefully, something like that will happen. Definitely need to get get it checked out. :)
    I'm glad you can eat them now!

Definitely getting on the chunky side now. Hopefully I can lose a couple pounds and start exercising/eating more healthy!
  • moonmina
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am 5'3.

No really thank you! I'm honestly learning so much from all the possibilities. I was so confused since my reactions are becoming worse and worse, so I just stopped eating them in general. Of course fruits don't have to be a necessity, but fruit is more accessible thank others and pretty easy to carry around and I definitely miss eating them. :(

• moonmina
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I am 5'3.

I'd start by going to the doctor to find out what the deal is with your reaction to fruits--more knowledge is generally helpful and it may help you understand what you can eat with no reaction. You could also ask for a referral to a dietician.

118 is a perfectly good weight for 5'3, so likely you should be focusing on exercise/improving the composition of your body. I was generally dissatisfied with my weight when younger at around 120-25 and 5'3, but looking back (and at photos) I wasn't overweight, I simply was not in good shape and would have felt and looked better if I'd learned about strength training.

I remember going to an appointment for a checkup and I told her about my reactions and she said it was strange and that was pretty much it, I definitely need to go to either an allergist or nutritionist soon. Hopefully I can find some things that I can eat, and not be worried whenever I see fruit!

Yes I guess I'm not too interested in the number, I just wanted to get more lean? I definitely want to look more into strength training! Hopefully I can start soon after I get my gym membership!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I am 5'3.

I remember going to an appointment for a checkup and I told her about my reactions and she said it was strange and that was pretty much it, I definitely need to go to either an allergist or nutritionist soon. Hopefully I can find some things that I can eat, and not be worried whenever I see fruit!

Yes I guess I'm not too interested in the number, I just wanted to get more lean? I definitely want to look more into strength training! Hopefully I can start soon after I get my gym membership!
    Give this a read:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Staci actually gained weight, but looks leaner because she reshapped her body by gaining muscle and losing fat (she's 11lbs heavier in the photo on the right):
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg
  • moonmina
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I am 5'3.

Give this a read:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Staci actually gained weight, but looks leaner because she reshapped her body by gaining muscle and losing fat (she's 11lbs heavier in the photo on the right):
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

This is definitely something I want to go towards!!
    Thank you so much :)
    I will try working towards this
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I dunno, when I was having an unknown allergic reaction (quite a bit more serious than yours but still) I wanted to know immediately what was causing it instead of just giving up an entire type of food without a good reason.

Testing for food allergies is a relatively simple process. I would think you'd want to know what you can and can't eat and, god forbid, find out of something more serious is happening. Maybe you don't have to cut out all fruit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I am 5'3.

She probably has a small frame. She wants to lose the Freshman 15 she gained at college. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really dislike fruit.

You can make both smoothies and easy to grab snacks without it. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am 5'3.

She probably has a small frame. She wants to lose the Freshman 15 she gained at college. Nothing wrong with that.

Or she has body dysmorphia and is trying to be thinner than is healthy. We don't know. I'm just suggesting that she should get some feedback from a professional (her PCP, for example) about what a healthy weight goal really is for her particular body.

I think that a lot of people don't realize that between the late teens and early 20s, most women fill out and their body shape changes even though they are no longer getting any taller. Your weight at 18 and your weight at 19 should not necessarily be the same. Why a 21-year-old is still worried about the "Freshman 15" is another question...

I have a very hard time imagining that someone with a BMI of 20 is chunky. Skinny-fat, maybe.
  • moonmina
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am 5'3.

Or she has body dysmorphia and is trying to be thinner than is healthy. We don't know. I'm just suggesting that she should get some feedback from a professional (her PCP, for example) about what a healthy weight goal really is for her particular body.

I think that a lot of people don't realize that between the late teens and early 20s, most women fill out and their body shape changes even though they are no longer getting any taller. Your weight at 18 and your weight at 19 should not necessarily be the same. Why a 21-year-old is still worried about the "Freshman 15" is another question...

I have a very hard time imagining that someone with a BMI of 20 is chunky. Skinny-fat, maybe.

I understand, I probably worded it poorly. Like I said before, instead of really focusing on the number... I am trying to have a healthier lifestyle. Yes, you probably have done way more research, which is why I am here asking questions for help.

But why is it bad that I am reflecting on how I really have gained weight because of my bad habits and I am looking for a change?

I may not be fat in your point of view, but I have definitely become uncomfortable gaining weight in my arms and stomach, because of all the poor choices I made from college. With a smaller body frame, well especially personally I am definitely not happy with all the weight that I have gained. I just want to become more fit.

I worry about the freshman 15 because that is exactly what happened to me. If I don't change anything, I will end up gaining even more weight and this isn't "healthy" weight. I am still worrying about the "freshman 15" because I am still in college and because of my poor choices like eating all the fast foods and junk food on campus, I am regretting it.

But I am trying to get better, and I am trying to change.
    I don't hate myself or my body I just want to become more fit and have a healthier lifestyle.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    No suggestions, but sympathy. My 5-year-old has the same reaction to fruit. Her entire life, juice triggered vomiting. Sometimes it would go on for days after just having it once (this was at about 18 months old). As she's gotten older, fruits have gotten harder too. Apples have always been the worst.