For some, has avoiding fat been more effective than avoiding carbs for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    emmaps55 wrote: »
    Though I'll add the advice to all: based on my experience this week, if you want fast and easy weight loss, go have a tooth pulled. Because pain killers and a soft food diet really really work if you can stay off the ice cream!

I normally do give myself a treat of ice cream after seeing the dentist, but have four visits scheduled over four weeks in July so am going to have to rethink that one.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.

Let me guess...you don't have PCOS.

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've lost 47 lbs now following a low carb, high fat diet... sometimes 3-4 lbs in a week. I also use a preworkout that helps me burn more calories. Anytime in the past when I've just counted calories, eating more fat than carbs has been helpful with losing. So stick with it if it's working! :] Its much better for you, anyway.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "And that's why you are losing. It's not the probiotics or anything else."

MamaBirdBoss: See, I don't think you can legitimately make that kind of declaration. I can't either -- I would never say "I KNOW it's the probiotics." All I know is I am doing these three new things (2 of which, the processed foods and the probiotics) I've never done before, and I am having these results. This is the point I was trying to make. Everyone has to figure out, through trial and error, through gathering data from their N1 experiment, what will work for them.

I do agree with you that findig satiety is important -- and I've found mine through a higher level of fat than others might like.

I also am following a lot of the research on gut biome/flora -- the fact that I had antibiotics with a surgery at 6 months, and then rapidly gained weight after that, makes me curious.

Yes, I can, because there are a ton of studies on what makes people lose weight. If your gut fauna has any role at all, it's infinitesimal.

This is the FIRST TIME you've ever done what actually works: consistently eating a deficit. Why look for magic unicorn farts when the answer is right in front of you?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.

PCOS doesn't break the laws of physics.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    The first time I was ever able to lose a significant amount of weight in my life was through a lower carb diet. I kept to no more than 45g of carbs per meal.

While I didn't notice a weight loss while trying to avoid a lot of saturated & trans fats, my cholesterol did. My triglycerides went down by nearly half (from 147 to 75). What I noticed from a more plant based and high fiber diet (after about 9 months) was a raise in my good cholesterol (from 42 to 51)) and a moderate decrease in my bad (don't remember the number).

Right now I'm trying to just do it all in moderation. Carbs I'm used to keeping lower (being diabetic), but it's harder to keep the sodium & saturated fats low.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

PCOS doesn't break the laws of physics.

It's more like chemistry, actually.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    LOL...I stand by what I said. I've lost over 90 pounds eating these things. They don't hinder weight loss. Eating too many calories does. These things are fine in moderation, and won't negatively effect your health.

I'm sorry to bore you with facts once your mind is made up. The only negative part of MFP is the blind who want to lead everyone else to blindness. The saturated fat and cholesterol scare was based on 70 year old studies which used bad science and have long since been disproved. But the manufacturers of poisons make a fortune off you and want you to continue buying their refuse.

I never said a thing about cholesterol and saturated fats. And I still stand by what I said. Your "facts" were dug up from a source that is biased towards your side. I could find articles that support my side as well...that all foods are fine and won't negatively effect your health if eaten in moderation. Call me blind all you want, but this method (eating all foods in moderation) has helped me lose a substantial amount of weight, is sustainable, and has not had a negative impact on my health. We could go round and round on this all night. It's been done before tirelessly on this forum. We will just have to agree to disagree. Have a good night.

My sources are so obscure that I have hundreds of them which I am not allowed to show in this forum.

I have had conversations with music and film snobs along these lines . . .
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    I got real lean on a low fat diet but I had excessive cravings and had to work out constantly. Back then the whole idea of low-carb dieting seemed ridiculous to me. I thought the idea of cutting out refined sugar was just hippy talk.

Now I keep my daily carb intake relatively low and try to avoid processed sugars as much as possible while still letting myself indulge. I increased my intake of fat significantly as well. Now I don't get cravings and eat only the calories I need to meet my goals. It has never been this easy in the 20 years I have been trying to stay fit. I can now live my life without feeling deprived.

I agree that weight loss is simply calories in / calories out, but the foods we eat vary in terms of satiation. Maybe there are people out there that can eat all the sugar and carbs they want and still remain fit. Recent studies have shown that doesn't work for most people. A handful of fitness fanatics on MFP who can burn through any kind of food is not representative of what works for the general population.

Of course people can eat as many carbs as they want below their calorie limits and be fit.

I haven't gone into detail about my diet because my situation is strange due to a cellular genetic muscle disorder. My muscles are kinda crappy at fueling themselves, and so carbs help control pain because the cheap/easy energy prevents cellular damage. If I couldn't be a healthy weight without plenty of carbs, I'd be screwed. (That pain is not weakness leaving the body. It's my muscles breaking down. LOL.)

(Because of my particular, rare disorder, I limit potassium somewhat and also have lots and lots and LOTS of sodium. These things also help manage pain and cellular damage. Oh, and my blood pressure? Averages 105/65, but when I'm in shape, it dips to 90/55 sometimes! Sodium levels are only linked to blood pressure in some people.)

But just because I have a muscle disorder doesn't magically raise the satiety of foods for me. That said, 1200 calories is tough to maintain satiety on and still get my carbs in. 1500? Pretty simple. 1800? A breeeeeze.

80/20, folks. Be happy, eat the things you like, and enjoy life in a deficit!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Proving that CICO is worthless when it comes to real health and helpful advice.

No, actually, it's the ONLY thing that works. You prefer lying to people?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    LOL...I stand by what I said. I've lost over 90 pounds eating these things. They don't hinder weight loss. Eating too many calories does. These things are fine in moderation, and won't negatively effect your health.

I'm sorry to bore you with facts once your mind is made up. The only negative part of MFP is the blind who want to lead everyone else to blindness. The saturated fat and cholesterol scare was based on 70 year old studies which used bad science and have long since been disproved. But the manufacturers of poisons make a fortune off you and want you to continue buying their refuse.

I never said a thing about cholesterol and saturated fats. And I still stand by what I said. Your "facts" were dug up from a source that is biased towards your side. I could find articles that support my side as well...that all foods are fine and won't negatively effect your health if eaten in moderation. Call me blind all you want, but this method (eating all foods in moderation) has helped me lose a substantial amount of weight, is sustainable, and has not had a negative impact on my health. We could go round and round on this all night. It's been done before tirelessly on this forum. We will just have to agree to disagree. Have a good night.

My sources are so obscure that I have hundreds of them which I am not allowed to show in this forum.

I have had conversations with music and film snobs along these lines . . .
    And I have had conversations with obese snobs who insist that what they eat has nothing to do with their obesity. CICO

Formerly an obese snob here, currently a slim snob. Eating egg yolks, highly refined oils, added sugar, and bleached flour all along (albeit in smaller amounts). CICO Rules Everything Around Me.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I believe one also has to take genetics into focus as well as what or what not to eat. Some people have the genes of a jackrabbit and can eat Yorkie bars and still stay thin. Others, like me, LOOK at a Yorkie and gain 3 lbs. My father was obese, his mother was obese, I blimped out first and over the years my sister and brother followed the genetic pattern. Some of us can eat processed foods and others can't tolerate them. I know someone that can't eat anything processed or she gets sick. She eats only whole foods and is leaning towards vegetarianism. Every body is unique and has different needs. The only way to be successful is to follow certain rules and observe how the body responds.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Rabbitjb -- perhaps we are dealing with semantics. I will agree that CICO is a 4 Laws of Thermodynamics fact when it comes to machines -- but when it comes to weight loss it is almost meaningless, because so many factors (which you yourself mention: hormones, bacteria, medicine etc) affect how our bodies respond.

74% of variation in basal metabolic rate is accounted for by lean body mass, fat mass, height, and gender, in that order (with lean body mass by itself being over 60%). Some of the rest is accounted for by "after burn" from regular exercise--really, no more than 15% at most is down to individual differences that aren't easily predictable.

Something like 90% of the calories burned in exercise break down to distance, speed, time, and weight.

This ends up being a "slosh" of no more than 300 calories a day, excluding REALLY EXTREME DISORDERS that few people have (and almost all of those disorder cause weight loss rather than gain).

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    While cico will work and I will lose weight, that isn't the full story of my health, or any woman's if they have pcos. You can be in the proper weight range and not get your cycle and have unwanted hair growth and cysts forming on your ovaries that will impact fertility. I don't get my period and I don't reduce other hormone side effects simply by cutting calories, this isn't some fad diet any more than a diabetics diet is a fad diet and I am not spreading some *kitten* I read somewhere about magic hormone fairies living in carbohydrates that make you fat. I have to control my insulin or it directly impacts my hormone levels, Google it, I am not kidding. This is proven, this is why doctors put so many on metformin who have this. I was not diagnosed with insulin resistance and my doctor still wanted to put me on metformin to control my insulin levels.

Why would I not share this with the OP? It is directly relevant to her health. It might not be the question she asked, but it might be the answer she needs to hear from someone who has tried doing things both ways.