SO Sabotage

Options
Igoligirl
Igoligirl Posts: 62 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
help! My boyfriend Keeps sabotaging my attempts to change the way I eat and activity levels. He loves fast food and fried foods and complains when we exercise, even though he agreed to lose with me. We only have so much money for a budget and he won't eat "rabbit food". It's way out of my budget to buy two separate menus. Any hints for a girl who wants to lose weight with her guy instead of being shot out of the air?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Is he forcing the food down your throat? You can fit fast food/fried food into your diet if you want, otherwise just say a simple "no thanks".
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    how does he change the way you eat? There's a difference between someone not wanting to diet and exercise WITH you and someone truly trying to "sabotage" you, which I don't think happens very often. If you want to eat better and be active, then just do it - he doesn't have to go with you and you can cook your own food.
  • Igoligirl
    Options
    It changes because we only have so much money for a budget and he won't eat "rabbit food". It's way out of my budget to buy two separate menus
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    hint: You can control yourself. I hope.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility for what goes into your mouth and stop blaming others.

I'm sorry if that's harsh but it's a necessary step otherwise you're doomed to failure.

There are plenty of options at "fast food" joints that can fit into a weight loss plan
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "rabbit food" to lose weight.

Who does the grocery shopping?

Try new recipes from places like sparkrecipes.com or others. You'll find things you both like.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Igoligirl wrote: »
    It changes because we only have so much money for a budget and he won't eat "rabbit food". It's way out of my budget to buy two separate menus

If you're doing the cooking... He eats what you cook. Or he can fend for himself
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Why can you buy food for two but not food for one and one other? It's still food for two people. You just have to be more careful with perishable items.

• Igoligirl
    Options

Try new recipes from places like sparkrecipes.com or others. You'll find things you both like.

Thanks for the website! I'll try it. I buy the food but heh won't eat it and goes out to buy fast food and we can't afford that. I need some delicious recipes for home.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sit down and have a serious conversation on how you have goals that are harder to reach because you feel he is not being supportive. If he laughs at it or doesn't take you seriously it might be time to walk away. What happens when you are pursuing a degree and he interrupts study time or you are trying to save to buy a house and he kept spending your savings? You two need to get on the same page or your relationship is doomed.

Also, don't try to change him. If he doesn't want to exercise or eat what you eat that's his choice, not yours.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating rabbit food?? You should be eating people food. Split the budget down the middle, or find recipes you both like.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Start by eating what you've always eaten, but eat less of it. That should help your budgetary concerns. You don't need to eat "rabbit food" to lose weight. Also, does your BF actually want to lose weight himself? Unless he does, there is exactly nothing you can do to make him.
  • Igoligirl
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Sit down and have a serious conversation on how you have goals that are harder to reach because you feel he is not being supportive. If he laughs at it or doesn't take you seriously it might be time to walk away. What happens when you are pursuing a degree and he interrupts study time or you are trying to save to buy a house and he kept spending your savings? You two need to get on the same page or your relationship is doomed.

Also, don't try to change him. If he doesn't want to exercise or eat what you eat that's his choice, not yours.
    Thanks for the advice :) I am going to try and find some more recipes that the picky one and I can both eat
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options

This would be my suggestion, too. Otherwise bite the bullet, if you do the shopping then buy what you feel comfortable eating to accomplish your goals. My husband and I frequently eat different meals - he doesn't count calories and I do. Sometimes he doesn't like it, but really that's his problem.
  • Igoligirl
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Start by eating what you've always eaten, but eat less of it. That should help your budgetary concerns. You don't need to eat "rabbit food" to lose weight. Also, does your BF actually want to lose weight himself? Unless he does, there is exactly nothing you can do to make him.

He does want to lose weight but he's unmotivated. He has 150 to lose
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

He does want to lose weight but he's unmotivated.
    Is that like wanting a job but not looking for one?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Give up on him. He will lose when and if he's ready to lose. Don't push him to do what you want him to do. You really can't (and shouldn't even try to) force him to do something he doesn't want to do.

Focus on you. This may require some, "If you want to eat fast food with me, you'll need to eat at home because I'm not eating there," but you shouldn't be forced into something you don't want to do, either.

You guys will either have to find a balance or break up. So, if you're both committed to the relationship, try to find a balance.

If you can afford fast food, you can afford to cook.

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Tell him that he has two choices. He can either eat what you cook, or he can get his own damn food. YOU are responsible for what goes in your mouth. Your SO is not sabotaging. He's just being a child.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I totally agree with this! He's your boyfriend, not your husband. Decide if this is behavior you can live with now.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

He does want to lose weight but he's unmotivated. He has 150 to lose

Doesn't sound like he does, it sounds like he said he does. If he really wanted to, he would. You can't control other people.

Plan well balanced meals, practice portion control. There is a whole lot of food between rabbit food and fast food. I am the only one in the house that counts calories. I make dinner, take my portion, and my husband can take as much as he wants. I give my daughter a decent portion of everything, and she eats what she wants. If you feel generous, have him give you suggestions about what he will eat, and plan it in to your calorie allowance. My husband wants Sloppy Joes for Father's day. He will have two huge buns smothered in meat sauce. I will have one with a side salad, maybe open faced if I haven't planned well enough to fit in the whole bun.

skinnytaste.com is also a favorite recipe site of mine.