starvation mode

Options
will someone please explain this? is it a thing or not?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Not a thing.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    no
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Not in the way most people on here talk about it.

In Nazi concentration camps, etc. it was a thing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

No. Starvation was a thing. Starvation mode wasn't.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is a lot of research being done about how the body reacts to different amounts of food over different time spans. No real answers yet. They don't even know why we lose weight. No answer for what triggers it, physiologically.

A lot of people who don't study it have a lot of different opinions that they claim to be absolute facts. The truth is that nobody actually knows what the heck is going on. They will some day and I hope I live to see it.

One thing everyone seems to agree upon - experts and wannabes alike - is that eating more food doesn't make you lose weight. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It's a thing if you are less than 5% body fat.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here is how to stop "starvation mode": Eat Something
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There is a lot of research being done about how the body reacts to different amounts of food over different time spans. No real answers yet. They don't even know why we lose weight. No answer for what triggers it, physiologically.

A lot of people who don't study it have a lot of different opinions that they claim to be absolute facts. The truth is that nobody actually knows what the heck is going on. They will some day and I hope I live to see it.

One thing everyone seems to agree upon - experts and wannabes alike - is that eating more food doesn't make you lose weight. :)

NO. If you eat less, you lose weight. That's what everybody on this site is doing.
  • Kalikel
    Options

A lot of people who don't study it have a lot of different opinions that they claim to be absolute facts. The truth is that moody actually knows what the heck is going on. They will some day and I hope I live to see it.

I'd like to talk with "moody" someday about that over some nachos and a sarsaparilla.
    Thank you! I let my autocorrect get wet and fed him after midnight. I changed moody back to nobody, lol. :)

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Muh starvashun mode
  • Kalikel
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »

NO. If you eat less, you lose weight. That's what everybody on this site is doing.
    What, specifically, are you NOing?
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It isn't a thing. Just keep on eating in moderation and you'll be fine. The only thing you have to worry about when eating way too little is, chances are, you'll go back to your old ways. It just isn't doable for a long-term lifestyle change. I eat what I want but everything in moderation. I don't see any food as "bad" anymore and it helped me have a good relationship with food again. Not to mention I'm losing weight too.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    No it doesn excist

But looking at your diary and if that is what you really eat..i shouldn't worry at all about starvation mode but more about
    Losing your nails, hair, your period and some other real medical issues when you keep this low eating up.

you do know you need calories to stay alive you know like breathing pumping blood through your body etc. About 1200

you net ZERO!!!!!!!

so No starvation mode is a myth...but if you eat really like that no problem at all i would say.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    cfxpj8nte7nm.gif
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

No. Starvation was a thing. Starvation mode wasn't.

Makes a lot of sense. I googled "starvation mode" and the first two or three articles validated that it wasn't valid.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Because all those millions of folks were getting fat "holding onto their calories", right?