help! Not losing any more weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• smithac96
    smithac96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im confused with logging in grams. Most my foods I log from measuring. 1 cup grapes or 2 large grade A eggs. 8oz of tea. When I make a sandwich I log everything separately. 2 slices whatever bread, so many slices of lunch meat, and whatever sauce. How would I start logging everything in grams?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    smithac96 wrote: »
    Im confused with logging in grams. Most my foods I log from measuring. 1 cup grapes or 2 large grade A eggs. 8oz of tea. When I make a sandwich I log everything separately. 2 slices whatever bread, so many slices of lunch meat, and whatever sauce. How would I start logging everything in grams?

The label on your bread will say something like one slice (50g) = x calories. Weigh your bread. If two slices is 150g, that's three servings.

Peanut butter will say something like 2T (32g) = x calories. Put your spoon or knife on the scale and tare it (zero it out). Then scoop out your peanut butter and weigh it again. If it weighs 100g, that's 3.125 servings. (100 divided by 32.)

Edited to add that you can weigh the entire jar of peanut butter before & after you scoop our your serving, if that's easier.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

The same way you currently log things, just use the dropdown box when you're about to add something to your diary and change it to grams instead of cups of servings or whatever you used before. If grams aren't there, find another listing that does have it in grams (or work out the calories yourself and fiddle around with the serving amounts until it gives the same amount of calories). Also it's a good idea to check the calories per 100g listed in the database against the calories per 100g listed on the packaging (if what you're eating has nutritional info on it). Sometimes the listings in the database are out of date.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Depends on the food:
    Basic foods and ingredients (meats, fruits, vegetables): Look for USDA entries and entries without the * in the database. These will often have a serving size option in grams (100 g or 118g or 1 g, etc). Weigh your portion, and divide by the serving size and use that for your entry. Example, a plum DB entry has 100 g. Your plum weighs 88 g (assuming you've already subtracted the pit). Your serving size entered in MFP is 0.88.

Packaged/labelled foods: In the US, the nutrition label often has a serving size like "3/4 cup (85g)". If you've matched the product in the DB, the serving size on the dropdown is often listing only the 3/4 cup size, but you can go by the labels gram weight. Ex. a cereal has 3/4 cup (85g) for a serving size. You weigh out 120g in your bowl. Enter 120/85 = 1.41 for your serving.

• smithac96
    Options
    :) thankyou very much! Hopefully between this and changing my calorie goals I can get down the last 9 (or maybe 10) pounds!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,950 Member
    Options
    :) thankyou very much! Hopefully between this and changing my calorie goals I can get down the last 9 (or maybe 10) pounds!

You've gotten some good advice. But since the advice could generate cognitive dissonance, forgive me for running through it again ;-)

1: Your deficit goal may have been too high, given your current weight. Eating at a smaller deficit (and eating protein at 0.7g to 1.2g per lb of lean body mass, as well as lifting weights) is likely to better protect your lean mass during weight loss.

2: based on your description of how you've been recording your food intake, you have been eating more than you think. In other words you don't know at what caloric level you've been eating but it sure doesn't seem likely that it was just 1,000 Cal.

This implies that even though your new caloric target may be higher than before, the actual amount of food you end up consuming when you hit that target may actually prove to be the same, or even less than before.
  • smithac96
    Options
    Update: I have been weighing all of my food on my new scale for the past 6 days and I ate less than 1,000 calories a couple of days. The other days were right about 1,200. Even though I am not hungry, should I increase my intake? I burn an average of 2,000 calories a day (sometimes more depending what workout day it is) and have started weight lifting 2 days/week to ensure I dont lose any muscle mass. My bmr is 1,422.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    Update: I have been weighing all of my food on my new scale for the past 6 days and I ate less than 1,000 calories a couple of days. The other days were right about 1,200. Even though I am not hungry, should I increase my intake? I burn an average of 2,000 calories a day (sometimes more depending what workout day it is) and have started weight lifting 2 days/week to ensure I dont lose any muscle mass. My bmr is 1,422.

While lifting is a big help in preventing muscle loss, it's not sufficient. You also have to ensure that your deficit is not too large (because there is a physiological limit on how much energy your body can recover from stored fat -- roughly 30 calories per pound of fat each day -- and at 129 pounds, even assuming 30% body fat percentage. you are hitting that limit, especially on your heavy workout days or days you eat less than 1000 calories).

You also have to be getting enough protein to maintain your muscle mass -- even when you don't lift, and even when you're not "building" muscle, your body is constantly tearing down and rebuilding muscle, and protein is the building block of muscle. I would suggest at least 80 grams a day (.8 grams per pound of lean body mass, and assuming 80% of your 129 lbs is LBM to be on the safe side, although if you've just started lifting and you just dropped 11 lbs in a month on what sounds like a VLCD, odds are you have less than 80% LBM). Some people are likely to suggest more protein.

Congratulations on getting a scale and weighing your food! It's so much more accurate than relying on volume measurements.

I'm curious whether you're seeing any loss now -- you never answered the initial questions about how long it took you to lose the first 11 lbs (although you seemed to imply about a month) or how long you had been stalled before your OP. I just saw this thread for the first time today, and my thought was Stalling after a month? What else happens to women once a month that can cause water retention and mask weight loss?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Sometimes it's hard for me to consume more than 1,000 or so calories a day because I've become very astute at knowing what low cal foods fill me up. Maybe eat some more calorie dense foods that are good for you, such as avocados and nuts?
  • smithac96
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont to go from 140 to my 129 is took about 6 weeks total. I did just start lifting and the other 3 days a week I do circuit training. I don't get near 80 grams of protein a day either. The max I've gotten is 56. I haven't seen anymore loss since my last post, however. So it's been about a week and a half since any loss
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a little more time, and try to eat a little more, especially protein.
    Weight loss isn't linear, especially for women, because of monthly hormone cycles, and if you've just started a new exercise routing (lifting), there could be some water retention for muscle repair masking weight loss.