Feel frustrated!

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Again, if you are positive you are doing everything right, see my previous post.
    I would suggest sticking with weighing your foods and logging for the next 2 weeks to a month, and if the scale still hasn't moved at all and you are positive that your logging is accurate, then go see your doctor. Make sure that he checks your free T3 and free T4 levels along with TSH, and that all are within 'optimal' levels, not just 'in normal range'.

kpb3iozpybm3.png
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    OP, this may sound a little harsh, but I'm going to go for the 'tough love' approach here, but i am hearing a lot of excuses-money is tight, i don't have much time, it as just a one off...you need to take charge and take some responsibility. Until you accept that the only thing standing in the way of losing weight is YOU, you won't get anywhere.

Sure, it isn't easy, and life always gets in the way, but if you really want to succeed stop using everything around you as an excuse to fail or not even try. You've been given some good advice here. Weigh and log everything accurately. Be patient. Pre-plan meals or calorie allowance beforehand. Biy cheap and in bulk and freeze meals for the week. You CAN do this, but you need to accept responsibility and gain control. As you said, today is a new day!! Good luck :)
  • CBR500
    CBR500 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I literally had no money for the past week so that is true and had to eat so was left with all that was left in the house and yes I do work long hours that is also true but like I said I have written a shopping list and am off to tesco now to get what I can with the £50 I have this week
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    The Daily Mail isn't the best news source ever. The two-year old Scientific American article they're citing uses two studies, one on a certain food (almonds) and one based on mice to come to these conclusions. It's far from conclusive evidence that this is the case for humans with every food.

If we are playing that game...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?_r=0

"The new research, by five nutrition and public health experts at Harvard University, is by far the most detailed long-term analysis of the factors that influence weight gain, involving 120,877 well-educated men and women who were healthy and not obese at the start of the study"

It's just really sad that many people throw "quality over quantity" out the door and think it's all about calories in vs. calories out. Oh well. People thought the world was flat at one point.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    CBR500 wrote: »
    I literally had no money for the past week so that is true and had to eat so was left with all that was left in the house and yes I do work long hours that is also true but like I said I have written a shopping list and am off to tesco now to get what I can with the £50 I have this week

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Please don't listen to people who try to "food shame" you for not eating the way they think you should.

You do not have to be perfect to lose weight—I'm living proof. Just try to do a little better today than you did yesterday.

Most of all, be patient! A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. And weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh."

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Just keep up the great work.
  • CBR500
    Options
    The Daily Mail isn't the best news source ever. The two-year old Scientific American article they're citing uses two studies, one on a certain food (almonds) and one based on mice to come to these conclusions. It's far from conclusive evidence that this is the case for humans with every food.

"The new research, by five nutrition and public health experts at Harvard University, is by far the most detailed long-term analysis of the factors that influence weight gain, involving 120,877 well-educated men and women who were healthy and not obese at the start of the study"

It's just really sad that many people throw "quality over quantity" out the door and think it's all about calories in vs. calories out. Oh well. People thought the world was flat at one point.

With my height and weight and needing to lose 50lbs what would you suggest I eat? I'm so cOnfused and very lost :(
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Saying that our methods of accounting for calories negate the principles of consumption vs. energy usage totally misses the point.

The fact that we objectively didn't measure something properly doesn't mean our bodies didn't. The calorie our body measured is still a calorie. The amount of those consumed, regardless of our ability to count or account for them will either add up to a deficit, be in balance, or be in excess of our energy needs/usage and will determine our weight.

Bringing such matters into the discussion when the science isn't settled is NOT helpful.

It's been TWELVE days.

The OP needs to crack down, pre-plan her meals with a better eye on her nutrition and logging accuracy and be more patient.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options

With my height and weight and needing to lose 50lbs what would you suggest I eat? I'm so cOnfused and very lost :(

The point is that you eat whatever you want as long as you are burning more than you eat! Seriously.
  • editorgrrl
    Options

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

Read the Sexypants post. So much good "how-to" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • CBR500
    Options
    It's already set at that and it gave me 1390 cals a day
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

The point is that you eat whatever you want as long as you are burning more than you eat! Seriously.

I have to disagree a bit with generalized advice to eat "whatever you want". The OP is eating a lot of pre-packaged food. I'm not against occasional convenience meals at all, but a steady diet of them probably isn't a good idea for a lot of reasons.

I'll address just a couple of them in this post here to avoid flame wars, though. First, nutrition is important when losing weight (and always, actually, but I'm going to specifically address macronutrient distribution). Dieters need more protein than the average person in order to preserve lean muscle mass while losing weight. If you're not preparing meals balanced with this in mind, you're not controlling this aspect of your nutrition.

Second, the calorie counts on packaging can be highly inaccurate. Relying on those for a significant portion of one's intake while attempting to lose weight might be counterproductive. Also, things like sodium content could be an issue.

It's true that one can FIT IN whatever one wants while one is dieting, but it should always be within the context of an overall nutrient dense diet.

• hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to use ham because of the convenience but it stalled my weight loss. I switched to chicken breast, and I've started to see real results. Also I cut out processed food and substituted easy to prep veggies like cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. My treat at night is microwave popcorn.

I don't trust the stated caloric content of ham. Remember it comes from a pig!

Trying switching to whole foods, concentrating on green veggies and lean proteins. It takes a little more advance planning, but it really works. All the best to you!
  • karmagirl71
    karmagirl71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One thing at a time. It's great that you are already logging your calories. That's step one. Then, over time, you can see what your eating trends are, and make one adjustment at a time so you develop healthier eating habits that your body will respond to well. An easy one to start with is to switch out the squash for water. Anything with artificial sweeteners makes me pack on the pounds and it may be doing that to you to. Also, the sweetness makes me crave more sweet foods, so I am more likely to cheat. Once I learned that about myself, I was able to find ways to change my habits. What works for one body may not work for another, so take the information you are seeing in MFP over time, and learn about yourself. I believe you can do this.
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's already set at that [.5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. overweight] and it gave me 1390 cals a day

Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the number of calories to maintain your current weight. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

And learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I weight everything.. And have 50lbs to lose :(

I can't imagine that you weigh all your food, because nothing is in your log that you log in weight. It's 95 % processed food ( crisps, biscuits, rolls, cereal etc ).
    How about something home cooked, some fruit, a salad, a variety of vegetables or any other food.
    Also, I really don't think that all the processed stuff you eat is so super low in salt as shown in your log. Too much processed stuff usually causes a lot of water retention and with that the scale does not budge.
    I would figure out a more varied menu. Even though for weight loss it makes very little difference what you eat, it helps however to sustain a certain calorie deficit, because losing 50 pounds will take some time.
    Good Luck !

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options

I have to disagree a bit with generalized advice to eat "whatever you want". The OP is eating a lot of pre-packaged food. I'm not against occasional convenience meals at all, but a steady diet of them probably isn't a good idea for a lot of reasons.

I'll address just a couple of them in this post here to avoid flame wars, though. First, nutrition is important when losing weight (and always, actually, but I'm going to specifically address macronutrient distribution). Dieters need more protein than the average person in order to preserve lean muscle mass while losing weight. If you're not preparing meals balanced with this in mind, you're not controlling this aspect of your nutrition.

Second, the calorie counts on packaging can be highly inaccurate. Relying on those for a significant portion of one's intake while attempting to lose weight might be counterproductive. Also, things like sodium content could be an issue.

It's true that one can FIT IN whatever one wants while one is dieting, but it should always be within the context of an overall nutrient dense diet.

Oh i agree, but i think the OP doesn't really understand what they are doing; we have tried to address the inaccuracies with logging, but i don't think it is 'getting through'. Then, despite not seeming to understand that particular (and pretty fundamental) concept but going on to worrying about what macros they should be hitting; it doesn't matter what your macros are, if you still aren't logging accurately and ensuring you are eating less than you burn, you will not lose weight.

I know that nutrients are important, but until OP actually grasps this whole 'logging accurately' thing, i was just trying to keep it as simple as possible.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It's been 12 days. Rinse, repeat, come back after at least four weeks if it's still not working. With 50 lbs to lose and that activity level of yours, I suspect the scale will begin moving shortly. Weight loss is not linear - you won't necessarily start dropping the lbs the instant you're eating in a deficit :)

PS: The bar code scanners mostly bring up the right entry for me. I just verify it with the package prior to logging. The app has really simplified logging for me, no need to complicate it
  • CBR500
    Options
    I acctually feel like no one is listening to me :( I had NO money and when I say NO money I mean NOTHING but had to eat something so was left with what was in the house.. And I have to eat lunch at work In 30 mins so take a ham roll and yoghurt! What is so wrong with that?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    I acctually feel like no one is listening to me :( I had NO money and when I say NO money I mean NOTHING but had to eat something so was left with what was in the house.. And I have to eat lunch at work In 30 mins so take a ham roll and yoghurt! What is so wrong with that?

OP, i have spent the past 2 weeks eating just what is in my house because i have very little money until payday (and it is a very weird variety of food), but i have lost 2.5lbs in those two weeks. You can't use that as an excuse.

A ham roll and a yoghurt is FINE so long as you log it accurately.
  • CBR500
    Options
    And I have logged it correctly.. In sick of being called a liar.. I weighed the roll.. The butter and the ham !! I'm sick of you thinking I'm using excuses when all I am acctually doing is telling the truth.. I give up.. This has put me off ever posting again.. Goodbye... Might just give up on life while I'm at it!!!!