WHOAAA I took in how much????

Options
So I am new to the app and was shocked/amazed at what my sodium intake per day. Was anyone else shocked at their intake of anything?

Replies

• KayRisTee
    KayRisTee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sugar. i had no idea just how much sugar I was eating. Even in things I thought at the time were healthy there was so much sugar.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Calories
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at my lack of protein and fibre.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was actually eating less calories than I thought before I started tracking

but I was "dieting" at the time

ETA: lots of people track fiber instead of sugar cuz nobody cares about sugar (except diabetics ofc)

ETA2: *kitten* sodium I eat tons of it and my BP just came back at 106/60
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sodium. Why is there so much salt in everything??
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    Sodium. Why is there so much salt in everything??

it's a preservative

it's a flavor enhancer

who cares unless you are prehypertensive or higher
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    draznyth, do you find you still hold onto any water from the salt? in the last 43 days i've been logging a couple times where i've had more salt then usual i hold onto a pound or two of water weight for a few days.

if you are in a constant and consistent deficit then water weight shouldn't really be an issue

but if you are concerned about water retention due to sodium intake then what you really need to do is start drinking a lot more water

the bloating in that case would be due to dehydration, not directly because of the sodium consumption

oh and don't weigh yourself every day because fluctuations are completely normal

I prefer once a week, same time of day (at night, not in the morning), wearing the same clothes
  • BillyG712
    BillyG712 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Theres no reason to worry about sodium if you drink your body weight in ounces of water everyday and workout at least 5 days a week to the point of getting a good sweat going
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was shocked at the calories in everything. Especially "healthy" foods and juices...
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    BillyG712 wrote: »
    Theres no reason to worry about sodium if you drink your body weight in ounces of water everyday...
    Wow, that is a LOT of water...

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    I guess im gonna have to start forcing myself to drink more.
    To be honest since i've gotten my blood sugars under better control not having to pee every 30 min has been nice haha. Thanks tho :) i will take everything you said into consideration for sure!

yea I mean drinking a lot of water sucks

like *kitten*

but what are you gonna do right? lol
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Shocked no. But it was definitely an education seeing just how many calories are actually in things and how small some portions really are.

I think for me the real surprise was how much a tablespoon of mayo, dressing or butter really was. It turned out to be more than I thought it would be.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Calories
    Lol. Yup.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    BillyG712 wrote: »
    Theres no reason to worry about sodium if you drink your body weight in ounces of water everyday and workout at least 5 days a week to the point of getting a good sweat going

If I drank that much water I would kill someone. It's a good number if you are a healthy weight, but I am very over weight and I would never drink that much water. I work out six days a week. 30 minutes to an hour of cardio and then weights. I do pushups, situps and squats. I drink about 60 to 80 ounces of water and never feel dehydrated. Everyone's different. I have no blood pressure issues and never have. :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sodium. Sugars either. And I'm still losing. No issues with bloating also.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I realized my sodium intake is about 6000mg per day. Crazy