pimp my green tea

Options
2»

Replies

• lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally love green tea. But for you try using it in place of water when making jello. that way you dont have to drink it yet you get all the green tea benifits in a low cal snack....hope you like jello.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :Love the Twinnings green tea with Jasmine yum. I also like the Tazo Zen Green tea. I drink my plain so I guess I was not any help with this question:tongue:
  • Smurfette64
    Smurfette64 Posts: 64
    Options
    I personally love green tea. But for you try using it in place of water when making jello. that way you dont have to drink it yet you get all the green tea benifits in a low cal snack....hope you like jello.

Wow never thought of this, might try that too, trick the hubby into having some too. :drinker: Hubby has been told by doctor to try green tea and also fish oil tablets (he doesn't drink tea only coffee and hates seafood with a passion) :heart:
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I get on that has lemon in it, and I don't leave the bag in the water for long at all. That works a treat, not too strong then.

Still not great, but you get used to it I swear! The weeks that I drink green tea instead of normal tea I do feel better for it. Think it helps weight loss.

x
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Brew it for one minute at slightly less than boiling water. If the water is too hot or the tea is steeped too long it will be bitter :(

this is the critical thing - if you use boiling water to make green tea you will burn the leaves and they will be bitter. Pour the water you need into a jug and let it sit for a minute or so before pouring it onto the tea (should be about 70 degrees C). The difference in flavour is immense. - it becomes delicate and refined.

secondly, forget green tea in teabags or made by companies like Clipper and Tetley. If you want really good flavoured green tea with all the best health benefits you are going to have to hunt for it and pay for it. I pay about £20 for a small bag of Iron Guan Yin (said to be a great liver tonic). Tiny pearls of rolled tea leaves, I use half a teaspoon in a small pot. The best thing about quality green tea from Oriental suppliers is that you can reuse the leaves - about four times I can use the same leaves.

Once you begin getting into teas it becomes a bit addictive. There is a lot to be said for spending time making and enjoying tea. I also have a lovely Dian Hong tea (a red tea) that I use when I need a hug - it is so warming and I can feel the comfort as it goes into my body, limbs an all!!!!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    this is the critical thing - if you use boiling water to make green tea you will burn the leaves and they will be bitter. Pour the water you need into a jug and let it sit for a minute or so before pouring it onto the tea (should be about 70 degrees C).

Tiny pearls of rolled tea leaves, I use half a teaspoon in a small pot. The best thing about quality green tea from Oriental suppliers is that you can reuse the leaves - about four times I can use the same leaves.
    This is exactly the way to do it. Although it is possible usually to find loose, high quality green tea for not much more than bagged tea by famous brands. You just have to be savvy about where you buy it.

If you really don't like green tea, try white or rooibos.
  • katieb63
    katieb63 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ummm this may be a dumb question, but if you don't like it why are you forcing yourself to drink it?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Japanese green teas like Sencha are disgusting (to me). Genmaicha is very good, it is green tea with popped rice or barley in, and it tastes like rice.
    Or try an oolong, which is a semi fermented tea, so half way between green and black. You have a few leaves in a cup, and pour boiling water on. There are some very soft tasting chinese white teas like phoenix eyes, dragon's whiskers, or pearl tea, which refer to the shapes the leaves are rolled into. Again you just have a few leaves (4-6) in a cup and pour boiling water on. They aren't bitter at all, and you can reuse the leaves and just pour more water on all day.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you can find it try Hedley's Royal Jasmine. I have found that to be the only green tea I can drink regularly. I, like you, find the taste to be quite abhorrent, however with the Jasmine it just tastes so wonderful and smells just as nice.

Mmmm...jasmine green tea. I actually went to Teavana and got a green tea mix of Jasmine Dragon & Rooibos Tropica. It is by far the tastiest green tea I have ever had...I mean, besides green tea ice cream (cause who doesn't love things made with cream and lots of sugar??)
  • Smurfette64
    Smurfette64 Posts: 64
    Options
    OK so I drank my second full cup today (with 1/2 tsp raw sugar in) - third really but won't count the first one I spat out and poured down the sink :blushing:

Figure if I keep drinking it with the sugar just slowly reducing the amount I might actually get to drink it without (well that's the idea anyway :ohwell: )