paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    go to chipotle twice that is like 4000 calories lol
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hi,
    Just need a bit of advice really , I'm trying to gain size and finding it very difficult , eating around 4200cals a day and spending about an hour in the gym heavy lifting and walk about 9km throughout the day and do a physical job (mechanic) I'm 6ft and 13st 10 lbs ATM.
    Am I doing too much exercise to gain?
    Also does anybody know if lifting heavier and less reps .....or less heavy and more reps is the best way to gain? That is the question .
    Thanks

Just to re-iterate what others have said. You will have to eat more. So as long as your protein goals are met, the calories can easily be obtained through calorically dense foods if you are having a problem with volume. So an extra couple of glasses of whole fat milk (drinking calories is very easy), or tablespoons of peanut butter, etc... will add several hundred calories fairly easily. (Don't be scared of the pizza either :D )

Don't know your training history or experience to comment too much on the question about exercising too much, but my first reaction is to say no from the info given.

In regards to your last question, again...depends on training history and experience (how long you been lifting). But programs are typically based on percentages of 1 rep max so that loads falling around the 65%-80% range will allow a typical lifter to achieve 8-15 reps and loads of 85%-95% will allow lifters to typically achieve 3-6 reps (my math might be off a bit, but the reps ranges are products). Working in the 65%-80% range allows you to do more volume over time, thus has greater influence on size. Working in the 85%-95% range offers greater intensity, thus less volume over time can be achieved due to recovery, but has more influence on strength.

So the follow up questions would be.... What is your training experience? And gains, strength focused or gains, hypertrophy focused?... or if you have other goals in mind.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    And yes I have a set workout plan ,one body part a day 8-12 reps,3 sets and about 6 different exercises . Maybe I need to change it up a bit?

Possibly. When you say one body part per day, what do you mean?
    Gonna chime in here, but I think I know where @Brolympus is going with this... And I am sensing a disturbance in the Force. I find your lack of progressive resistance... disturbing.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    And yes I have a set workout plan ,one body part a day 8-12 reps,3 sets and about 6 different exercises . Maybe I need to change it up a bit?

Gonna chime in here, but I think I know where @Brolympus is going with this... And I am sensing a disturbance in the Force. I find your lack of progressive resistance... disturbing.

dat hypurtropeee
  • GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    Progressive resistance? I don't understand ,by one body part i mean -
    Monday - chest
    Tuesday- arms
    Wednesday-back
    Thursday-legs
    Friday - shoulders
    Saturday - abs
    Sunday - rest

• GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    I'm just a beginner really on the serious body building front and am not all knowing when in comes to technical terms!
    I have been lifting for a few years I managed to get over 15st at one point but I was eating anything and everything that wasn't nailed down and ended up a bit chubby as a result .
    I need basic help and simple terms structural support!
    Thanks.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Stick with compound-movements, and start hitting the major body parts twice a week. Once you have been working out for 1-2 years then throw some isolation movements in the mix.
  • cajuntank
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would look into maybe All Pros as a routine to research as it has a beginner and an intermediate you could evolve to. The beginner routine focuses on compounds (bench press, rows, squats, etc...), there are some "curls for the girls" thrown in there, and adds volume (reps) each week, so 4 sets of 8 reps in first week, second week would be 4 sets of 9, etc... Till 4 sets of 12. If you can complete all reps for 4 sets of 12, then add 10% on the bar and start back at 4 sets of 8, rinse and repeat. Program has protocols to add weight and reps (progressive resistance) as outlined, deal with failures, and deloads. So weight is increased slower than a strength based program, but volume of work is greater, thus having more of a hypertrophic effect (assuming calories are where they should be).

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761&page=1
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Maybe cut down your training and bump up your calories more until you are making solid strength gains.

Getting stronger in the 4-6 rep range is going to be a HUGE part of your muscle gains.

You could set your training like:

Monday - Chest, Biceps, Rear Delts

Wednesday - Legs, Abs

Friday - Shoulders, Back, Triceps

Track your strength gains. If you plateau, then you know you need to bump up your calories by 100-200.

I have a very tough time gaining weight. So only training 3 hours a week has helped me tremendously.

Hope that helps man!

One last thing.... By strength gains in the 4-6 rep range, I mean, come back to this forum when you are incline bench pressing over 200lbs....Your muscles have no reason not to grow.

Know what I mean?
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Nobody wants to say it but I will...well, Rich Piana will...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvnS0xXx9M

Genetics shouldn't ever let someone get down on themselves but people really do need to know the truth. Love him or hate him, Rich will speak the truth.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Progressive resistance? I don't understand ,by one body part i mean -
    Monday - chest
    Tuesday- arms
    Wednesday-back
    Thursday-legs
    Friday - shoulders
    Saturday - abs
    Sunday - rest

My best advice is to get into a program that focuses on compound movements. When I started out, I was following a lifting schedule similar to this, and I got nowhere fast. Your muscles need higher frequency being trained per week, with some kind of progressive overload built into your program. You should be hitting the same muscles at least 3 times per week if you can manage the time (ESPECIALLY legs, since stress on the legs tells your body to produce more HGH and testosterone, and will help your overall muscular growth), and getting lots of good sleep, rest, and stretching in between. Once I started using compound lifts, it was crazy how fast my body responded compared to when I was doing isolated movements like your current program.

I would recommend trying out Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Either one will give you the frequency you need for max growth, and they will also help you start slow with compound lifts for a couple weeks and get used to form and technique before starting to get heavy. The programs are extremely simple, and you work out every other day.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

<video snip>

Genetics shouldn't ever let someone get down on themselves but people really do need to know the truth. Love him or hate him, Rich will speak the truth.
    Not really relevant to whether someone can make initial gains or not.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

<video snip>

Agreed. Good video, but this doesn't apply in any way to a newbie lifter. You genetic limits shouldn't really be a concern until year 3 or later of your lifting career.
  • cajuntank
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

<video snip>

Agreed. Good video, but this doesn't apply in any way to a newbie lifter. You genetic limits shouldn't really be a concern until year 3 or later of your lifting career.

I would propose that it's longer than this. I would postulate that it would be in the 10-15 year range before genetic potential should be a concern. I'm too lazy to search for evidence of this, but just seems more logical based on athletes' training careers and the time it usually takes them to get to the pinnacle of their sport. Don't get me wrong, there will always be out-lyres that will be genetic freaks that allow them to compete against the rest of the population earlier, but I'm thinking the general populace takes about a decade+ to get to that level. Just my thoughts on it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvnS0xXx9M

While I believe that genetics dictates height, shape, health, etc., amateur and competitive bodybuilders look like they do based on work and help WITH anabolic steroids. Look at retired pro's who are off the juice. While they may look better than the average person, they are a far cry from how they looked competitively.
    Yes, one has to work with what they are dealt, but improvement can definitely be made by getting correct information on training, nutrition and rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    hi,
    Just need a bit of advice really , I'm trying to gain size and finding it very difficult , eating around 4200cals a day and spending about an hour in the gym heavy lifting and walk about 9km throughout the day and do a physical job (mechanic) I'm 6ft and 13st 10 lbs ATM.
    Am I doing too much exercise to gain?
    Also does anybody know if lifting heavier and less reps .....or less heavy and more reps is the best way to gain? That is the question .
    Thanks

Hi mate, I have not read the other posts yet, so I will go back and read them. I'm about the same stats as you. 6ft, 14 stone, 14% body fat. I train 4-5 days a week lifting for an hour. Mainly compounds, but superset in isolation movements at the end to burn out (mainly bicep superset with tricep). I'm making really good progress but I only eat between 3000-3400 cals a day (180 g protein). However, it seems like you are quite active and I'm sedatory as a muthaf%cker!