Which Plan to Follow

Options
Opinions Needed - Low Carb or Low Fat? So many different plans out there that is it difficult to decide which plan to follow - but I NEED QUICK RESULTS so that I will stick with it.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How about the "Eat at a Calorie Deficit" plan? And no, you don't need quick results. You need sustainable results. Find a plan that you can stick to, log everything as accurately as possible, and be patient. The weight will come off.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Either or but low carb & low fat aren't going to work unless you're eating at a deficit. And it probably won't happen as quick as you'd like.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Neither. Just eat a balanced diet, try to stick to your macros, and hit your calorie goal. No need to cut certain foods/groups.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The "Eat Less Than You Burn" plan.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Both will probably cause you to have a deficit, but will you be happy with them enough to stick with it forever? Chances are probably not. Why not figure out a good calorie deficit (use this calculator) and log and weigh everything? I've tried every other "diet" out there and this has been what worked best for me (and plenty of others out there).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How about the "Eat at a Calorie Deficit" plan? And no, you don't need quick results. You need sustainable results. Find a plan that you can stick to, log everything as accurately as possible, and be patient. The weight will come off.

This^

Instead of a "plan" just eat your normal foods BUT weigh/measure the portions. I am fat because I eat too much food....it's not the fat....or the carbs that made me fat....it's the calories.

A side note:
    Low carb is great for initial water loss. If you need the number on the scale to move quickly...this is your "plan." Keep in mind that the water comes back when you eat "regularly" again. Eventually more of the weight will come back unless you have a game plan for maintenance.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You don't need a plan/program/diet/way of eating. What you need is a calorie deficit. You can achieve that calorie deficit any way you like: LC, LF, Clean, Paleo, IIFYM, Vegan, whatever way you prefer, but the one requirement is that you have to be at a calorie deficit. Many successful people find they have the best chances of long term success if they use moderation to continue to eat all the foods they like while achieving that calorie deficit. In my experience, that is far more motivating than losing weight quickly doing something that makes me miserable.

• BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    With low carb you will never be hungry which helps a lot when you are on a calorie deficit :)

Also you will have countless energy (all your bodyfat) to your disposal - 10kg bodyfat=90'000 kcal vs 2'000 kcal carbs in your muscles and liver...

Your insulin response will be better which means fat secretion from the cells will be much easier...

The only "downside" to low carb is that it can be hard to stick to, otherwise it is a brilliant lifestyle
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    BennyCH wrote: »
    With low carb you will never be hungry which helps a lot when you are on a calorie deficit :)

Also you will have countless energy (all your bodyfat) to your disposal - 10kg bodyfat=90'000 kcal vs 2'000 kcal carbs in your muscles and liver...

Your insulin response will be better which means fat secretion from the cells will be much easier...

The only "downside" to low carb is that it can be hard to stick to, otherwise it is a brilliant lifestyle

Glad it worked for you. When I did low-carb I was STARVING all the time!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

cosign
  • BennyCH
    Options
    rkcampbell wrote: »

Glad it worked for you. When I did low-carb I was STARVING all the time!!!!

sad that it didn't worked for you :'( ...it's really a brilliant diet, especially for me since I'm a "carboholic"

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    your own.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't need any sort of special plan to lose weight. That said, I have found that for me, reducing grain-based carbs and getting most of my carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables works well. I watch my macros and try to eat enough healthy fats to hit my fat target but not go over (or only go over by a percentage point or two). Really, the key is eating fewer calories than you burn. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies help me do that because they fill me up. I do have a piece of pita bread every day, i find that to be a very satisfying snack. But when I eat grain-based carbs with every meal I tend to just crave more of them, and that has led to binging for me.

So you have to find a way of eating that works for you. If low-carb or low-fat work for you, go for it, but neither one is any guarantee that you will lose weight.
  • chadpoulin
    chadpoulin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cutting fat, carbs, whatever really mainly works because you cut out entire food groups which naturally leads to a calorie deficit. I've known people who swear by cutting out dairy, others who swear by cutting gluten. But in my opinion, cutting out food groups isnt the best way to go.

Fats provide health benefits (limit saturated fats, trans fats). Carbs provide health benefits including fiber (avoid simple carbs/added sugar). Just eat healthier food that you like in sensible portions. There is no magic "plan". Losing weight (and keeping it off) isnt a quick results thing, it is a lifestyle change.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I was starving too when I did low carb, and I had NO energy. so some things dont work for everyone.

• NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to get a lot of slack for this post, and having been there myself, I'll be nice... Anything that is "Low ____" is pretty much *kitten*, unless your doctor recommends it or you have a medical issue that requires it. No one body is the same, so no one meal plan will work for every single person. And no... you don't need "quick results". You need to be patient and think about how badly you really want this. Good things do not come to those who *kitten* about how long it takes. Good things come to those who sweat and bust their *kitten* each and every day. It won't be easy at first, but stick through it and it WILL get better. You will start seeing results, SLOWLY but you need to pay attention and be grateful to the differences in how you feel, how your body looks in the mirror, your new PRs, be it a lap time or squat weight.

I highly suggest weightlifting if you're looking to lose weight, as it's going to help you burn more calories in the long run and you can eat MORE, because you're fueling your body to grow the muscles that will burn said calories/fat. Don't fall victim to the "cardio err-day, all day" trap. Trust me on this. I just started Jamie Eason's 12 Week Live Fit plan: Week 4 today, and I'm seeing results. I don't follow the meal plan, but I make proper choices. I eat 1,800 calories a day with a 40/20/40 (Protein, Fat, Carb) split. I've dropped 5 pounds and am trimming my waist/thighs and growing my arms and other muscles. Just trust me on this-- don't fall for the fad diets or fancy products. Just trust your body and trust the journey and take what everyone says here (who has been there, done that) into consideration.

Whatever you do, don't ask for advice and then immediately turn it down because it's not good or fast enough. That's the quickest way to get eaten alive out here. Which, I guess would help you see "quick results" in weight loss, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to get torn a new a-hole...

Best of luck!
  • BennyCH
    Options
    just to make it clear since many people think "low carb = zero carb", myself I can have 100g/day and still be in ketosis, and with 100g carbs per day you can have all the vegetables incl. fibers you need...

cutting out certain food groups is really important, especially gluten-based food because they don't offer anything that you cannot get from other more healthy sources and they are filled with toxins
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    rko78621 wrote: »
    Opinions Needed - Low Carb or Low Fat? So many different plans out there that is it difficult to decide which plan to follow - but I NEED QUICK RESULTS so that I will stick with it.

Most importantly; you need to eat at a deficit.
    After that no one can tell you what to do, because only you can figure out what works best for you.
    For me moderate carbs and fat work well and I prefer slow loss over fast, because so far this is what has worked. I have lost 65 pounds over two years eating a wide variety of healthy foods aiming at a .5 pound weekly loss. I never had to worry that I all of a sudden gained back some weight again. I know too many people who LOST WEIGHT FAST and then re-gained it even FASTER.
    Good Luck !

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just to make it clear since many people think "low carb = zero carb", myself I can have 100g/day and still be in ketosis, and with 100g carbs per day you can have all the vegetables incl. fibers you need...

cutting out certain food groups is really important, especially gluten-based food because they don't offer anything that you cannot get from other more healthy sources and they are filled with toxins

I don't think 100 grams of carbs is going to qualify as low carb or ketosis...

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the eat less move more plan.

nothing else is needed.