Sea salt

Options
Is sea salt really better for you than regular salt?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Is sea salt really better for you than regular salt?

No.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. It is tastier imo.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No.

Chipotle sea salt is where it's at, though.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Some people think it tastes saltier, so you can use less. So if you're restricting sodium for medical reasons, you might find that beneficial.

I like it because of the texture - the bigger crystals/flakes kind of pop on my tastebuds in an appealing manner.
  • momentai
    momentai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    no but himalayan pink salt has many health benefits
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Better for certain recipes. I find that I like to sprinkle it on top of my foods that need a little more salt because a little goes a lot further than normal salt (at least in my perception). Other than that, I'm not aware of any other benefit.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    momentai wrote: »
    no but himalayan pink salt has many health benefits
    As far as I know, there isn't a scrap of peer-reviewed evidence for this.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I like it because of the texture - the bigger crystals/flakes kind of pop on my tastebuds in an appealing manner.

This^, i agree with. And it is divine on these: http://www.handletheheat.com/salt-river-bars/

6514332727_56d1401bbf_z.jpg
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Salt is salt. The rest is marketing fluff.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

This^, i agree with. And it is divine on these: http://www.handletheheat.com/salt-river-bars/

6514332727_56d1401bbf_z.jpg

Dear lord that looks good!

I agree that I like the taste of sea salt, freshly ground, as opposed to regular table salt. But what about the iodine that's added to regular salt? Don't we still need that?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    This is why i like iodized kosher salt.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Salt is salt. The rest is marketing fluff.

Not totally some salts contain more micronutrients than other salts though we are unlikely consume enough to make any nutritional difference
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Table salt has added iodine, whereas sea salt (usually) does not. For most people, this is not a factor, as there is naturally occurring iodine in many dairy products, as well as in saltwater fish and shellfish. But if your diet is lacking in these (as mine is, due to allergies), table salt is a easy way to get iodine, which is an essential nutrient. Iodine deficiency affects the thyroid. Here is a link:
    http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's arguably less healthy. Regular table salt provides iodine, a necessary micronutrient for proper thyroid function, that is difficult to obtain elsewhere.

Sea has a little less sodium by weight than table salt, because it's a little less dense.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    table salt has added iodine which the body needs, most other salts do not

@deguelloTex have not seen iodized kosher salt up here (Canada) any way. Prefer the texture of kosher salt
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    This is why i like iodized kosher salt.

Pretty sure I have a box in the pantry. Thanks, Tex!

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    Btw, I am so making that recipe. I don't care how many calories it has, I'll make it work. :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Btw, I am so making that recipe. I don't care how many calories it has, I'll make it work. :)

It is so good. It packs a lot of calories, but it is worth it every once in a while. I usually make them for my family's Christmas party, but any special occasion will work. Such as a Tuesday!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only the thing that makes sea salt different from the stuff they dig out of the ground is the kind of residue that it has on it. So, no, it isn't actually better for you.