Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is this Healthy?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Zaytex wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    How did you arrive at those calorie counts? Are you guessing? I'm betting that if you're not preparing your own food using a food scale to measure all your solids and measuring cups/spoons for your liquids that you are underestimating your intake. If you're taking a portion of cafeteria food, for example, you have no way to know what the calorie content actually is (you might think you have 100g of potatoes when you eyeball it, but it might be more like 175g, they might have been made with a ton of butter or oil, etc etc.)
    On all the food I eat, it shows the calorie am

So absolutely everything you eat is single-serving, out of a packet?
    Yeah. Unless It's fresh fruit.

Well, you will lose weight if you are in fact eating that little. However, it's not ideal for health, as you'll be lacking a lot of essential micronutrients, and with an almost total lack of protein you'll likely also feel quite hungry and find it difficult to continue. If you're a vegetarian, there are still a ton of protein-rich options that can help keep you feeling full and give your body energy. At your age, unless you're very short and fairly thin already, you don't need to drop your calories so low to lose weight and it's very likely that it will be extremely difficult to maintain long-term (I'm a 118-pound woman and I have trouble eating that little for more than a month or two...and it's going to be a lot tougher for the average teenage boy.)

My resolve is strong. However, I would say that today's selection of food choices wasn't the best in my 'diary'

It doesn't matter how strong your "resolve" is, if your body becomes chronically malnourished.

Understand that at 1200 calories a day, it is very difficult to provide an adult body the macro and micronutrients it requires for proper function. People who are already small, very sedentary, or older (or a combo of those things) might find it appropriate, but not a teenage boy who's likely burning well over 2500 calories a day. A healthy 1200 calorie diet requires a lot of planning and there is hardly any room for things like ice cream or white starchy foods. It is lean protein and vegetables with adequate and appropriate fat, day in and day out. A diet of wholly ravioli, potatoes, and crisps isn' going to cut it if you want to have a healthy body at the end of this. And regardless, if your deficit is as big as I suspect it is, your body is still going to lose lean mass along with fat, which is going to mean that you won't look as fit or be as strong as you would like once you are at your goal weight.

The goal of weight loss is to lose as much fat and as little muscle as possible, and rapid weight loss isn't very conducive to that.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    You can look and see if your food choices for the day are "healthy" by looking at your nutrition chart and seeing if you hit all your macro and micronutrient goals: vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, calcium, iron etc. That's one of the bonuses of logging as far as I'm concerned.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    For a vegetarian, the OP doesn't eat very many vegetables.

I used to be like that. I was really more of a carbetarian.

OP, if you don't like veggies, try easing in with the milder or sweeter ones like carrots, celery, cucumber, winter squash, etc. No need to eat broccoli and Brussels sprouts on day one.

It was hard for me at first, but now I eat a decent number of servings of produce most days. Not kale though. Never kale.
  • SherryTeach
    Kale chips with sea salt are delicious!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    No... it's mostly carbs and sugar. Where is your protein? Veggies? Fruit?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    No, that is not healthy. You need protein and vegetables.

Your currently diet is extraordinarily high in carbs.

How about a salad?
  • Zaytex
    Zaytex Posts: 14 Member
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    you are not doing your body any favours eating like that. eat more meat and fresh raw veggies. skip the sweets. and have a tasty fruit.
    no offence you are not going to be able to maintain the weight loss if you dont train yourself to eat the better choices.
    I eat fruit, never eat sweets, can't eat meat. And try to choose the best healthiest meal for my dinner,lunch etc.

Never eat sweets?
    You ate ice cream.

Protein sources:
    beans, quinoa, lentils, tofu, eggs, dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt), protein powder, tempeh

I didn't realise Ice Cream was a sweet, I'm so dumb ;P

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Posts: 14 Member

How about a salad?

I do eat peas and carrots and such. I had a Salad yesterday, but not often. They're the only thing I hate eating in a diet.

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    I am a vegetarian, and a chunky one at that... However, I just started this, and have cut down on my quantities. So far today, I had my breakfast of 1 lite multi-grain english muffin, and 2 eggs with salt/pepper/paprika, and green onions. For lunch I had another english muffin with a slice of avocado, 2 tofurkey slices, a tomato slice, a half a slice of cheese, and some broccoli sprouts. I had a banana as a snack, and a dinner of a tofurkey kielbasa, a tbsp of kraut with onion on a wholegrain bun. I haven't decided what my next snack will be, but it's all within my 1220 calorie goal (over protein, oops).
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Oh, and I had some grilled onion/green pepper/mushrooms.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited June 2015
    BTW, if you have to ask "is this healthy?", you already know that the answer is "no".

Zaytex wrote:
    When I think about protein, I have eaten some in the past.
    Like Asparagus, and lentil meals. Would they be fine?
    Lentils have protein. Asparagus, not so much.
    If you're going to do the vegetarian thing, at least learn something about nutrition, so you don't harm yourself.

Your profile claims you're 18.
    You say you're in college. Use the resources available to you.
    Go to the health center and ask if there's someone who can help you learn about nutrition. (Heck, go to your
    family doctor & ask for pointers to information... though they're often not very well trained in the area, maybe
    they could refer you to a dietitian for some education.)
    Go to the library and ask a librarian to show you the section with books about nutrition (or use the card catalog).
    See if there are educational / degree programs on campus which include nutrition (things like dietitian, nursing,
    food science)
    , and see if you can meet with one of those instructors to at least get a list of beginner books so
    you can learn the basics.

Protein:
    animal flesh (which you say you won't eat) is the most efficient source
    beans & bean products (tofu, TVP --> veggie burger)
    lentils
    dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs)
    some grains (quinoa is particularly high)
    nuts & seeds (chia is very high)
    peanuts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+foods+other+than+meat+have+protein

I want opinions on it. My worst nightmare is that I won't lose weight and that it is all for nothing.
    Not a reasonable concern.
    It's more likely you will be malnourished, which is a much more serious problem.
    If you're really an 18yo male, of average height, and you're really only eating 1100 cal/day, and
    you're really doing as much cardio as you say you're doing, you will lose weight.
    Guarantee it.
    You won't be healthy.
    Guarantee that too.

today, my meals were:
    Ice Cream- 151
    Crisps- 85
    Flapjack- 136
    Potatoes- 100
    Ravioli - 668
    Total = 1140 calories
    So carbs + fat, carbs + fat, carbs, carbs, carbs + (whatever is in the ravioli filling).
    First, no, this is not healthy, because you don't get all the nutrients you need.
    Second, no, this is not healthy, because you're not getting nearly the calories you need.
    (Yes, that's slightly redundant, because carbs are a nutrient.)
    Third, if you made better choices, you could eat more calories and be satiated, have all the
    nutrition you need, while still losing weight safely.

Doesn't your school cafeteria, or food court, or even a nearby store, have fruit available?
    Pretty much anything is better nutrition-wise than ice cream, potato chips, pancakes, and potatos.
    Heck, even a frozen bean burrito would be an improvement!

Spend a couple hours on the weekend, or an evening, and pre-make a bunch of stuff so you
    can grab things from the fridge easily.

Hard-boiled egg (pre-cook a dozen to have in the fridge). Keep a bowl of fruit on your kitchen
    table. Cook a batch of rice, portion it out, and you have the basis for a bunch of meals. Chop
    veggies, portion them out. Mix a batch of hummus. Get a bag of almonds or walnuts or
    sunflower seeds or whatever nut/seed you like. Have a peanut butter sandwich (quick to make
    in the morning). Lay out a production line to make a bunch of rice, bean, & cheese burritos, wrap
    them in plastic wrap or parchment paper, and store them in the fridge or freezer in a sealed
    bag or container. OK to have cold, or find a microwave to warm them up.

Keep small containers handy to throw things into, maybe the night before as you're cleaning up
    the kitchen after dinner, so you can grab them from the fridge on your way out the door in the
    morning. It's much easier to stay up 5 minutes longer at night than it is to get up 5 minutes
    earlier in the morning.

I'm looking to lose 3 stone 1-5 pounds by December. Would I be able to do this?
    3 stone = 42 lb
    So in total you're talking about 48 lb, in about 6 months (24 weeks).
    If you're starting out extremely overweight (say, more than 100 lb over the top end of a healthy
    BMI range), yes, that's possible & you could even do it while staying healthy. I have.
    If that's all you need to lose to be within a healthy BMI range, no, you're not going to be able to
    do it, or if you do you're going to lose what little muscle you have and be malnourished. At first
    you could lose 2 lb/week, but that's not going to last long. It's more reasonable to aim for 1 lb,
    and pretty soon that will drop to 0.5 lb.

Read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Then this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Especially pay attention to this calculator:
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
    It will tell you not only your BMI at any weight (to be healthy, it should be between 18 & 24.9),
    but how many calories & how many servings of the food groups you need to eat to maintain
    that weight.

And here's a lot more info you'll probably find helpful:
    https://www.google.com/#q=beginning+nutrition+teenager

BTW, if you want to maintain what little muscle you have, start doing weight training, even if
    it's only body weight exercises (check google & youtube). It's easier to keep what you have
    than to rebuild it after you've lost it.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    And 2 days ago you said you wanted to lose the weight by Sep.
    (What about those "fat pills"? Have you thrown them out?)
    You were given much the same info as we've answered here, though the people on this thread have gone into
    much greater detail explaining why what you're doing isn't healthy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10192423/need-tips
    I'm looking to lose 3 stone by the beginning of September, with my current diet would that be possible?
    Drinks: Nothing but Water. Usually 2 litres.
    Snacks:Rarely crisps, some fruit
    Breakfast: Don't have any
    Dinner:Microwave meal. Home made chips. Sometimes a pizza.
    Exercise: Depending on which day, I do more exercise. For example, during Monday-Friday. I walk around much, much more (My app tells me 10000 steps) and then finish the day with a little run
    On weekends, I'll walk the dog, then go for a run. Sometimes on Sunday, I don't do anything since I consider it a break 'day'
    Pills: I also use the XLS Fat Binder pills.

I'm 13 stone 8. I'm looking to be 10 stone 3-8 by September. Can this happen?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member

How about a salad?

I do eat peas and carrots and such. I had a Salad yesterday, but not often. They're the only thing I hate eating in a diet.

Aim for 10 fruits and vegetables a day. That is entirely possible to achieve, even for those of us who are not vegetarians.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You need to get yourself some general education on nutrition before you harm yourself. If you are firmly against eating meat, you must learn what sorts of foods have protein in them. You need to have a stash of good foods to choose from and to pack in your bag, and plan ahead.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    @Zaytex Just came in after being out for a while. @MKEgal just handed you all the tools you need on a silver platter. She's great. Definitely take a little time and get your plan straightened out, and get some balance to what you're eating. Being a vegetarian is not a barrier to eating well and getting all the nutrients you need, but you do have to put a little extra planning to it.
  • SherryTeach
    Definitely, check out the general resources on nutrition and get yourself educated. What did you think ice cream was if it's not a sweet?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Technically you will lose weight on this calorie count, but it's awfully unbalanced (nutritionally speaking).

You Brits and your flapjacks.... So jealous. ;_; I'm still waiting for them to catch on here (and NO oatbars DO NOT COUNT.)

Hmmm. Had to look this up, as I always thought a flapjack was just a pancake. Yet another way for Americans and Brits to miscommunicate while ostensibly speaking the same language (pudding, biscuit, chips, pants, rubber....) (sorry, it does seem like the more risque examples stick in the memory)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    you are not doing your body any favours eating like that. eat more meat and fresh raw veggies. skip the sweets. and have a tasty fruit.
    no offence you are not going to be able to maintain the weight loss if you dont train yourself to eat the better choices.
    I eat fruit, never eat sweets, can't eat meat. And try to choose the best healthiest meal for my dinner,lunch etc.

Never eat sweets?
    You ate ice cream.

Protein sources:
    beans, quinoa, lentils, tofu, eggs, dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt), protein powder, tempeh

I didn't realise Ice Cream was a sweet, I'm so dumb ;P

Not dumb -- I think this is that language barrier again. I believe for Brits, "sweets" is a synonym for candy, whereas in the U.S. it's a broader term that includes ice cream, cookies, cake, etc. as well as candy.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Eat some veggies and fruit before you get scurvy.

Kidding, but seriously listen to these fine people. They know what they are talking about.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Technically you will lose weight on this calorie count, but it's awfully unbalanced (nutritionally speaking).

You Brits and your flapjacks.... So jealous. ;_; I'm still waiting for them to catch on here (and NO oatbars DO NOT COUNT.)

Hmmm. Had to look this up, as I always thought a flapjack was just a pancake. Yet another way for Americans and Brits to miscommunicate while ostensibly speaking the same language (pudding, biscuit, chips, pants, rubber....) (sorry, it does seem like the more risque examples stick in the memory)

Off to google flapjack now. I always thought it was a pancake too :huh: