Which Plan to Follow

Options
13»

Replies

• BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    in the end n=1 is what is valid for you, just trial and error your way :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    BennyCH wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    cutting out certain food groups is really important, especially gluten-based food because they don't offer anything that you cannot get from other more healthy sources and they are filled with toxins
    I don't agree at all.

Cutting out certain foods leads to craving those foods. Unless there's a legitimate medical reason and your doctor has told you to do so, it's best to keep eating the things you normally eat, just in smaller portions.

If glutens were toxic, the FDA would have banned them.

since when is FDA a reliable source ;-) I wrote that they have toxins, the amount will tell if it is toxic or not, like cigarettes :-)

anyway there is no reason to eat food with gluten, no reason at all, since there are a lot better choices

Water is bad if we drink too much of it. You can overdose on certain vitamins as well. Context and dosage matter. A lot. There are many natural substances that we intake each day that can be toxic at high dosages.

I think the whole "zomg toxinz in muh food" is a bunch of fear-mongering BS, myself.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you that keeps you at your calorie goal.

FYI- You can gain weight on low carb... by eating too much fat and protein. You can gain weight on low fat... by eating too much carbs and protein.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    cutting out certain food groups is really important, especially gluten-based food because they don't offer anything that you cannot get from other more healthy sources and they are filled with toxins
    I don't agree at all.

Cutting out certain foods leads to craving those foods. Unless there's a legitimate medical reason and your doctor has told you to do so, it's best to keep eating the things you normally eat, just in smaller portions.

since when is FDA a reliable source ;-) I wrote that they have toxins, the amount will tell if it is toxic or not, like cigarettes :-)

anyway there is no reason to eat food with gluten, no reason at all, since there are a lot better choices

No reason to eat food with gluten? Sounds like something Food Babe or Dr Oz would say. I love bread! All bread! How about provide some scientific (and peer-reviewed) evidence that gluten is toxic.

• chadpoulin
    chadpoulin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please dont listen to nonsense spouted on the internet.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/truth-about-gluten?page=2

Gluten itself doesn’t offer special nutritional benefits. But the many whole grains that contain gluten do. They’re rich in an array of vitamins and minerals, such as B vitamins and iron, as well as fiber. Studies show that whole grain foods, as part of a healthy diet, may help lower risk of heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and some forms of cancer.

"And any time you eliminate whole categories of food you’ve been used to eating, you run the risk of nutritional deficiencies," said Green. A 2005 report from the American Dietetic Association warned that gluten-free products tend to be low in a wide range of important nutrients , including B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and fiber.

There’s little point in taking that risk unless you genuinely have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. "Eating a healthy gluten-free diet means paying constant attention to what you eat. This isn’t something that anyone should do casually," said Green.
  • BennyCH
    Options
    I don't agree at all.

No reason to eat food with gluten? Sounds like something Food Babe or Dr Oz would say. I love bread! All bread! How about provide some scientific (and peer-reviewed) evidence that gluten is toxic.

please learn how to read, I wrote gluten-based food contains toxins, e.g. lectins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectin)
    "Toxicity
    Digestion and immune distress

Foods with high concentrations of lectins, such as beans, cereal grains, seeds, nuts, and potatoes, may be harmful if consumed in excess in uncooked or improperly-cooked form. Adverse effects may include nutritional deficiencies, and immune (allergic) reactions.[16] Possibly, most effects of lectins are due to gastrointestinal distress through interaction of the lectins with the epithelial cells of the gut. A recent in vitro study has suggested that the mechanism of lectin damage may occur by interfering with the repair of already-damaged epithelial cells.[17]

Lectins are considered another major family of protein antinutrients (ANCs), which are specific sugar-binding proteins exhibiting reversible carbohydrate-binding activities. Lectins are similar to antibodies in their ability to agglutinate red blood cells.

The toxicity of lectins has been identified by consumption of food with high lectin content, which may lead to diarrhea, nausea, bloating, and vomiting.

Many legume seeds have been proven to contain high lectin activity, termed hemagglutinating activity. Soybean is the most important grain legume crop in this category. Its seeds contain high activity of soybean lectins (soybean agglutinin or SBA). SBA is able to disrupt small intestinal metabolism and damage small intestinal villi via the ability of lectins to bind with brush border surfaces in the distal part of small intestine.[citation needed]

Heat processing can reduce the toxicity of lectins, but low temperature or insufficient cooking may not completely eliminate their toxicity, as some plant lectins are resistant to heat.

In addition, lectins may result in irritation and over-secretion of mucus in the intestines, causing impaired absorptive capacity of the intestinal wall.[citation needed]"

people like to read what they want to hear...

also loving bread doesn't make it healthy...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I don't agree at all.

please learn how to read, I wrote gluten-based food contains toxins, e.g. lectins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectin)
    "Toxicity

Foods with high concentrations of lectins, such as beans, cereal grains, seeds, nuts, and potatoes, may be harmful if consumed in excess in uncooked or improperly-cooked form. Adverse effects may include nutritional deficiencies, and immune (allergic) reactions.[16] Possibly, most effects of lectins are due to gastrointestinal distress through interaction of the lectins with the epithelial cells of the gut. A recent in vitro study has suggested that the mechanism of lectin damage may occur by interfering with the repair of already-damaged epithelial cells.[17]

Lectins are considered another major family of protein antinutrients (ANCs), which are specific sugar-binding proteins exhibiting reversible carbohydrate-binding activities. Lectins are similar to antibodies in their ability to agglutinate red blood cells.

The toxicity of lectins has been identified by consumption of food with high lectin content, which may lead to diarrhea, nausea, bloating, and vomiting.

Many legume seeds have been proven to contain high lectin activity, termed hemagglutinating activity. Soybean is the most important grain legume crop in this category. Its seeds contain high activity of soybean lectins (soybean agglutinin or SBA). SBA is able to disrupt small intestinal metabolism and damage small intestinal villi via the ability of lectins to bind with brush border surfaces in the distal part of small intestine.[citation needed]

Heat processing can reduce the toxicity of lectins, but low temperature or insufficient cooking may not completely eliminate their toxicity, as some plant lectins are resistant to heat.

In addition, lectins may result in irritation and over-secretion of mucus in the intestines, causing impaired absorptive capacity of the intestinal wall.[citation needed]"

Re: the bolded part - so don't eat lectin-containing foods raw or improperly cooked. Meat that is raw or improperly cooked can cause gastrointestinal distress, parasitic infections, or death. I bet you eat a lot of meat, though, right?

I guess since too much fiber can cause a little GI discomfort, we probably shouldn't be eating fiber either.

Too much cheese can constipate you - better stop eating the toxic cheese.

The argument you put forth for not eating gluten is absurd. Please, stop spreading your misinformation.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in about 9 months I am guessing that is fast enough for just about anyone. The secret is low calorie diet. Low carb is just intended to make it so that you eat more protein and fat and are therefor less hungry so you eat less calories (in theory) Low fat is just intended to help you avoid fat which as far as I have seen never actually works because unless you have the will power of a god you will either overeat carbs or be starving all the time. Just do the balanced thing. Cut your calories and eat only what will add value to your diet (ie no fast food, chips, soda, candy). The more calories you cut the faster you will lose but you have to be careful to ensure that you eat enough to get the vitamins and minerals your body needs to function. It takes planning and a bit of research but you can reach your goals quickly and safely through calorie deficit. You will never reach it eating a surplus even if that surplus doesn't include either fat or carbs.
  • MrsJane05
    MrsJane05 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you thought or looked into the Paleo way of eating, very healthy I find and satisfying too?
  • BennyCH
    Options
    I don't agree at all.

"Toxicity

Re: the bolded part - so don't eat lectin-containing foods raw or improperly cooked. Meat that is raw or improperly cooked can cause gastrointestinal distress, parasitic infections, or death. I bet you eat a lot of meat, though, right?

I guess since too much fiber can cause a little GI discomfort, we probably shouldn't be eating fiber either.

The argument you put forth for not eating gluten is absurd. Please, stop spreading your misinformation.

it's not my information, I clearly wrote down the reference, maybe you need to study a little bit more before making absurd accusation based on selective reading...if you want to keep eating lectins it's up to you, but again, there is nothing in e.g. bread that you need that you cannot get from a healthier source...if you cannot get that message into your head then I cannot help you
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I don't agree at all.

"Toxicity

it's not my information, I clearly wrote down the reference, maybe you need to study a little bit more before making absurd accusation based on selective reading...if you want to keep eating lectins it's up to you, but again, there is nothing in e.g. bread that you need that you cannot get from a healthier source...if you cannot get that message into your head then I cannot help you

Lol.

So stop spreading other people's misinformation.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't agree at all.

"Toxicity

Maybe you need to take your own advice? And stop trusting Wikipedia?

Would also like to point out that only one of the items listed in your "source" actually contains gluten? Beans, seeds, nuts, and potatoes are all gloriously gluten free! So maybe you need to study some more before you spread this rubbish? :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Although low carb can make you drop weight fast in the beginning, it's half water weight. You need to stick to it long-term, or at least keep the carbs lower than they used to be. You also need a deficit to lose weight.