Green Tea

Options
I read an article online that said Green Tea can help with weight loss. Is there any truth to it?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you're replacing calorie filled drinks with it, but otherwise, nope.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not a single thing

actually it does work in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet

but so does riding elephants
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 cups a day, but not for weight loss, because I love it and I only drink green tea and water, nothing else. Doesn't really aid with the weight loss that I am aware of
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What it does for me..besides saving the money I spend on Diet Cokes...is when I first start it, I notice my scales show a little more weight loss...at the beginning. For me, I think..it's all water weight..but I am happy with any loss I see. As for long term, I don't know.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No, but it can't hurt either, so if you like it, drink away!
    (Now I want some!)
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nope! Tried it a few months ago when the scales wouldn't budge for weight watchers. Found that being to use to Weight Watchers was the problem. I still love it and find it very delicious and refreshing. I nice lightly floral jasmine green tea is divine, but I digress.
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not a single thing

Ha ha!!! That made me snort! Thanks for the replies all. Won't bother with it then!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Green tea does not increase metabolism.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Its a diuretic. Other than that, not much else you'll gain (or lose).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Green tea does provide a nice amount of antioxidants but does not aid in weight lose. White tea offers even more antioxidants and IMO tastes a lot better.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea because I can drink it without adding any creamer and coffee I have to add creamer and I was using up calories for the creamer.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There are no magic foods or secret ingredients to lose weight. It is simple math, eat less then your body uses.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use it in my berry smoothie because it adds a nice flavor, but that's the only reason.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not a single thing

This just made me snort my (not green) tea! Ha ha!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Not a single thing

Next weeks' Forbes headline:

"Riding elephants linked to losing weight"
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and a good alternative to other drinks (I love my blueberry green tea with fresh lemon juice and agave), but to add to the chorus, no it doesn't enhance weight loss.
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Its helps in the establishment of a healthy immune system. It also detoxes your body and is a great substitute for fatty sugar filled sodas. I've been drinking it for a year and I wouldn't say it is the sole simulator of weight loss. It is just a healthier option for your body. It has minimal calories
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Shreshka wrote: »
    Its helps in the establishment of a healthy immune system. It also detoxes your body and is a great substitute for fatty sugar filled sodas. I've been drinking it for a year and I wouldn't say it is the sole simulator of weight loss. It is just a healthier option for your body. It has minimal calories

Please, tell us what exactly it does to "detox" our bodies?
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Shreshka wrote: »

Please, tell us what exactly it does to "detox" our bodies?

Green tea has endless anti-oxidants and vitamins that help cleanse your body in a way. This helps in speeding up your metabolic rate thus burning some fat.
  • JulesVinTX
    JulesVinTX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, when I lost a significant amount of weight, I drank green tea religiously, about 3-4 cups a day. I didn't get a single cold for two years. I'm sure healthy living as a whole contributed to that, but green tea has been proven to be rich in antioxidants such as polyphenols. Here's a great, short article: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/food-polyphenols-boost-gut-health-and-longevity-121213#1