6 reasons why you are not losing weight

Options
I thought this was an interesting article by fitness magazine.
Diet Mistakes Causing Your Weight-Loss Plateau
Food journal? Check. Regular workouts? Yes, indeed. Enough fiber to keep an entire army regular? You got it. I combed through research and grilled diet gurus to pinpoint little-known reasons that your efforts — and mine — haven't been showing up on the scale.
You Don't Drink Enough Water
We've all heard how important H2O is when it comes to shedding pounds. It helps to suppress appetite, so you're less likely to overeat. But that's not all: When you're dehydrated, your kidneys can't function properly, so the body turns to the liver for additional support. Because the liver is working so hard, more of the fat you consume is stored rather than burned off.
You Skimp on Protein
Several studies show that high-protein diets result in more pounds shed, at least initially. Protein enhances the feeling of satiety and prevents your losing muscle as you lose fat. You also have dietary thermogenesis, which is the energy you burn to process and use the food you eat, on your side. "Your body expends more energy to metabolize protein than carbs or fat," says Cari Coulter, RD, the program director for Wellspring Weight Loss Camp in Kenosha, Wisconsin. "So higher-protein diets make you burn slightly more calories."
So how much protein do I need a day? "It depends on your weight, but most women should get 40 to 80 grams.”
You Sit at a Desk All Day
I log a solid hour of exercise almost every day, but outside of that, my time is mostly spent sitting in front of a computer. Much to my dismay, research finds that dedicated workouts simply can't compensate for being sedentary the rest of the time. According to one University of Missouri-Columbia study, sitting for just a few hours causes your body to stop making a fat-inhibiting enzyme called lipase. Getting up and walking for just two minutes during each of those hours burns an additional 59 calories a day, according to recent research from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Your Numbers Are Off
"The BMR calculator already factors in the calories you burn with your workouts, so you shouldn't add them in again," she explains. Math club membership revoked! All this time I had thought my daily needs were 500 calories higher than they really were. No wonder I'd been maintaining instead of losing.
You Work Out Regularly
I know, I know. How can an exercise routine make you gain? For starters, people tend to eat more when they work out, either because they feel they've earned it or because they're overestimating how much they've burned — or both. "This is especially true in the early stages of a fitness program, when your body is getting used to the decrease in calories consumed and the increase in calories burned," Finger says. (Read: You're freaking hungry.)
But here's the real shocker: Working out can make you retain water. "To ensure that you don't get dehydrated, the plasma in your bloodstream will store an extra two to four pounds of water," explains Michele S. Olson, PhD, a FITNESS advisory board member and professor of exercise science at Auburn University at Montgomery in Alabama. "You'll always carry that extra water unless you become inactive; it's not fat or muscle, but simply superhydration. It's a good thing." It's also a good thing to keep chugging H2O, which can, counterintuitively, help minimize additional water retention. So I'll take Olson's advice and stay active, well-hydrated...and off the scale.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Not one of those says you are not in a calorie deficit. The rest of that stuff seems wrong.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Actually generally it boils down to either or both of the following:

You are eating more calories than you think
    You are burning fewer calories than you think

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors - oh and if you've copied and pasted that it's probably best to include the source so you're not just plagiarising

This.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    Your Numbers Are Off
    "The BMR calculator already factors in the calories you burn with your workouts, so you shouldn't add them in again," she explains. Math club membership revoked! All this time I had thought my daily needs were 500 calories higher than they really were. No wonder I'd been maintaining instead of losing.

BMR does not factor in exercise calories .. it doesn't even factor in activity .. it's just your body's needs at rest like in a coma ..

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    The bmr what now? Do you/they mean tdee?
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    the one thing I forgot about is walking every hour I am sitting at the desk. I sit for 10 hours a day and even though I work out every day, it's not enough to cancel the sitting.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    the one thing I forgot about is walking every hour I am sitting at the desk. I sit for 10 hours a day and even though I work out every day, it's not enough to cancel the sitting.

this is a good tip .. a pedometer can help remind you
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    "The BMR calculator already factors in the calories you burn with your workouts, so you shouldn't add them in again"

umm no. because then I would be starving
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One reason = eating too much.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't think that what was meant was BMR, but the point is the same, if you include your activity level in the calculation, you would not then also add your exercise calories. Even worse, exercise calories often include BMR calories so it makes it look like your burning even more calories than you are.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    The bmr what now? Do you/they mean tdee?

From a quick read it looks like that's what they meant. Way to get the terminology wrong, huh? No wonder people get confused!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors

/thread
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months. Two extra months of lower calories and lame dieting. Who the heck wants to keep there calories lower any longer than they have to? That's the reason most people fail. The process stalls for basically no reason and then you're expected to just keep your calories lower and lower longer and longer basically driving you insane.

I don't understand your point ....or are you just whining because it isn't fair in the modern world of instant gratification

The process stalls in terms of scale weight only because it does ...if you're doing everything right then it will start up again and you won't have lost anything in your overall weight loss ...you get whooshes of weight loss and feel thrilled, fine they can be counteract with a stall ...particularly for women with hormonal fluctuations but there are other reasons

Look back on your progress over the last year ...it's the trend that matters

• Sued0nim
    Options
    pbhbh16hvf8t.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months.

It took you a lot longer than that to learn how to talk. Or walk. Or pretty much anything else important.

Bottom line - 8 weeks from now you can be closer to your goal - or not.

Up to the individual.

• PShizle
    PShizle Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    "'Your body expends more energy to metabolize protein than carbs or fat,' says Cari Coulter, RD, the program director for Wellspring Weight Loss Camp in Kenosha, Wisconsin. 'So higher-protein diets make you burn slightly more calories.'"

Is she serious? She really believes this? O. M. G. I would NOT be going to her for any nutrition advice.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    slong4u wrote: »
    "'Your body expends more energy to metabolize protein than carbs or fat,' says Cari Coulter, RD, the program director for Wellspring Weight Loss Camp in Kenosha, Wisconsin. 'So higher-protein diets make you burn slightly more calories.'"

Is she serious? She really believes this? O. M. G. I would NOT be going to her for any nutrition advice.

Yeah, any time I read "dietary thermogenesis," the author loses any credibility with me. Absolute BS.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    it's definitely a lifestyle change. to always order grilled instead of fried in restaurants, get the vegetables instead of fries. you get used to it and greasy food makes me ill now. coworkers are always saying, geez you are always on a diet. no, this is the normal way I eat.