yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Actually generally it boils down to either or both of the following:

You are eating more calories than you think
    You are burning fewer calories than you think

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months.

It took you a lot longer than that to learn how to talk. Or walk. Or pretty much anything else important.

Bottom line - 8 weeks from now you can be closer to your goal - or not.

Up to the individual.

Hopefully in 2 months I am very very close to my goal. Also any careers take two month to learn?
  • GlamaMom3
    GlamaMom3 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This was great!! Thanks for the read!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months. Two extra months of lower calories and lame dieting. Who the heck wants to keep there calories lower any longer than they have to? That's the reason most people fail. The process stalls for basically no reason and then you're expected to just keep your calories lower and lower longer and longer basically driving you insane.

I don't understand your point ....or are you just whining because it isn't fair in the modern world of instant gratification

The process stalls in terms of scale weight only because it does ...if you're doing everything right then it will start up again and you won't have lost anything in your overall weight loss ...you get whooshes of weight loss and feel thrilled, fine they can be counteract with a stall ...particularly for women with hormonal fluctuations but there are other reasons

Look back on your progress over the last year ...it's the trend that matters

I would bet this.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

It took you a lot longer than that to learn how to talk. Or walk. Or pretty much anything else important.

Up to the individual.

2 months is nothing. Someone is complaining about having to to diet for 2 extra months? REALLY?? You might struggle a bit in losing weight until you work on your patience.
  • KInez54
    KInez54 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought the article was very interesting and thought-provoking. I will try to remember these thing when I hit a plateau. I especially appreciate the idea the intermittent movement is important rather than 1 contiguous workout and nothing else. Thanks for posting.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an interesting article by fitness magazine.
    Diet Mistakes Causing Your Weight-Loss Plateau
    Food journal? Check. Regular workouts? Yes, indeed. Enough fiber to keep an entire army regular? You got it. I combed through research and grilled diet gurus to pinpoint little-known reasons that your efforts — and mine — haven't been showing up on the scale.

The author says not enough fiber is a diet mistake? Maybe a mistake as to why you can't poop, but how much fiber you have has nothing to do with calories in/calories out.
    You Don't Drink Enough Water
    We've all heard how important H2O is when it comes to shedding pounds. It helps to suppress appetite, so you're less likely to overeat. But that's not all: When you're dehydrated, your kidneys can't function properly, so the body turns to the liver for additional support. Because the liver is working so hard, more of the fat you consume is stored rather than burned off.

Water does not cause weight loss, it hydrates you and replaces calorie laden foods that would otherwise be going down our gullet. I think water is very important, but I've drank a lot of water, and I was fat.

Besides that, your liver is not going to just store fat because you're not drinking enough water. Your body will store fat when you eat at a surplus.
    You Skimp on Protein
    Several studies show that high-protein diets result in more pounds shed, at least initially. Protein enhances the feeling of satiety and prevents your losing muscle as you lose fat. You also have dietary thermogenesis, which is the energy you burn to process and use the food you eat, on your side. "Your body expends more energy to metabolize protein than carbs or fat," says Cari Coulter, RD, the program director for Wellspring Weight Loss Camp in Kenosha, Wisconsin. "So higher-protein diets make you burn slightly more calories."
    So how much protein do I need a day? "It depends on your weight, but most women should get 40 to 80 grams.”

Protein is essential, and I agree with keeping the levels up, but again....you can eat all the protein you want, and if you're eating at a surplus, you will gain weight. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. It's calories in/calories out.
    You Sit at a Desk All Day
    I log a solid hour of exercise almost every day, but outside of that, my time is mostly spent sitting in front of a computer. Much to my dismay, research finds that dedicated workouts simply can't compensate for being sedentary the rest of the time. According to one University of Missouri-Columbia study, sitting for just a few hours causes your body to stop making a fat-inhibiting enzyme called lipase. Getting up and walking for just two minutes during each of those hours burns an additional 59 calories a day, according to recent research from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

This is 100% bull. I sit at a desk all day and I have lost 44 pounds and have been maintaining for a year and a half. Why? Because I work hard on the calories in/calorie out equation.
    Your Numbers Are Off
    "The BMR calculator already factors in the calories you burn with your workouts, so you shouldn't add them in again," she explains. Math club membership revoked! All this time I had thought my daily needs were 500 calories higher than they really were. No wonder I'd been maintaining instead of losing

This is only true if you use a TDEE calculator. If you use MFP, you eat your cardio exercise calories back.

I agree that numbers being off is the number one cause of not losing weight, but it's about striving for accuracy in calories in/calories out. This happens by dong your own research on calories in, and learning for calories out that MFP, gym machines, internet resources, and phone apps provide overinflated numbers. If you use these resources, or if you find that you are not losing, eating only a portion of your exercise calories back will help. However, not eating them all back, especially if you are expending a lot of energy with running and other high intensity cardio, is setting yourself up for injury.
    You Work Out Regularly
    I know, I know. How can an exercise routine make you gain? For starters, people tend to eat more when they work out, either because they feel they've earned it or because they're overestimating how much they've burned — or both. "This is especially true in the early stages of a fitness program, when your body is getting used to the decrease in calories consumed and the increase in calories burned," Finger says. (Read: You're freaking hungry.)
    But here's the real shocker: Working out can make you retain water. "To ensure that you don't get dehydrated, the plasma in your bloodstream will store an extra two to four pounds of water," explains Michele S. Olson, PhD, a FITNESS advisory board member and professor of exercise science at Auburn University at Montgomery in Alabama. "You'll always carry that extra water unless you become inactive; it's not fat or muscle, but simply superhydration. It's a good thing." It's also a good thing to keep chugging H2O, which can, counterintuitively, help minimize additional water retention. So I'll take Olson's advice and stay active, well-hydrated...and off the scale.

Oh food goodness sakes, this is bro-science. Who cares about water retention? It's not fat. Because the scale might show a few extra pounds of water retention when first starting a new exercise does not mean you should not exercise; the water will go away. Exercise does not make you gain weight unless you eat too many calories..

And, now, i shall step down from my soapbox. :)

1288632081974819.jpeg

• yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Up to the individual.

2 months is nothing. Someone is complaining about having to to diet for 2 extra months? REALLY?? You might struggle a bit in losing weight until you work on your patience.

The words of all the people ever who probably didn't have much to lose or haven't been doing it very long. I've been at this for YEARS and I still have 30lbs or more to go. When I hear any sort of "wait, be patient, just a couple more months" it's eye roll inducing.

ETA: Actually I have been at this since I was 16. I am now 27 just finally getting my weight under control.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    You Sit at a Desk All Day
    I log a solid hour of exercise almost every day, but outside of that, my time is mostly spent sitting in front of a computer. Much to my dismay, research finds that dedicated workouts simply can't compensate for being sedentary the rest of the time. According to one University of Missouri-Columbia study, sitting for just a few hours causes your body to stop making a fat-inhibiting enzyme called lipase. Getting up and walking for just two minutes during each of those hours burns an additional 59 calories a day, according to recent research from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I have to call "bull" on this one. First, getting up and walking for two minutes every hour only equals 16-18 minutes total for most of us. Unless you're jogging, walking super, super fast, or are fairly obese, that's not going to equal a 59 calorie burn. Getting up and moving a little is great for circulation and posture, but just pacing around the office isn't going to do much as a workout.

Also - I've lost 85 lbs working two different desk jobs and then going home to play video games on my PC, so... Yeah. The whole "it just can't be done" thing is a total cop-out.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Up to the individual.

The words of all the people ever who probably didn't have much to lose or haven't been doing it very long. I've been at this for YEARS and I still have 30lbs or more to go. When I hear any sort of "wait, be patient, just a couple more months" it's eye roll inducing.

If you said you had been at it for years, and had not lost any weight, I doubt ANYONE would say "oh, just give it a couple more months." They would probably say you are eating more than you think, or burning less than you think. In that case, you would need to change some things.

But to give perspective, I have lost about 33 lbs in the last 1.5 years. I still have 32 to go...I had lots of stalls over that time, and will likely have more in the future. But I am pretty happy with my progress so far.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Up to the individual.

Actually - I agreed. And even if you don't count the decade I've spent doing diets that don't work, I've still been at this since May 2012. I've lost a lot - and have more to lose. Two months? A drop in the bucket compared to what I've already put in, so I have patience to spare.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Articles like this always demonstrate the fundamental problem with media and healthy lifestyles. Media has a voracious appetite for new content, and the content must attract viewers/readers. As many of us know, losing weight is a fairly straightforward biological process (which is not to say that it is simple or easy). However that would make for a boring read.

This article is not bad for the most part. The authors did their homework and sought out reputable sources (or at least professionals with the appropriate credentials) for their "list" items. None of the information is egregiously inaccurate or harmful.

However, for the most part, it is much ado about nothing. These are trivial items which, for most average people, will have little or no effect one way or the other. These are the kinds of distractions that keep people from focusing on the most important things--maintaining a long-term calorie deficit, and following an effective workout routine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Up to the individual.

So at what point are you allowed to have a point of view ...is it 30lbs? 50? Over a hundred?

You've been at it for years? ...I remember you when I first joined the forums and you just used to complain all the time that it was impossible and yeah, dude, you used to whine a lot. But then you changed, a new av and I thought a new attitude...you seemed to have worked it out, and I thought he's worked it out ...and only 30lbs left to go you seem to be getting there

I'm actually a little shocked to see your attitude may not have changed
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Up to the individual.

So at what point are you allowed to have a point of view ...is it 30lbs? 50? Over a hundred?

You've been at it for years? ...I remember you when I first joined the forums and you just used to complain all the time that it was impossible and yeah, dude, you used to whine a lot. But then you changed, a new av and I thought a new attitude...you seemed to have worked it out, and I thought he's worked it out ...and only 30lbs left to go you seem to be getting there

I'm not shocked. All I see is complaining and whining.
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options

Up to the individual.

I felt the same way.

Also can I just say that why do you keep complaining about how much you had to lose? @BFDeal Maybe take some responsibility for having to lose that much excess weight. It ain't no one elses fault is it?

You think I complain that I had to lose over 70 pounds and still have weight to lose? No. Who fault is it? Mine.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Up to the individual.

I'm not shocked. All I see is complaining and whining.

Up to the individual.

Meh, same depressing thing happened that always does. I counted for a couple months, eating 1800 calories which btw seems stupid low for someone my size, to lost about 10lbs. I gained the entire 10 back in one week of not counting (vacation). This illustrates the insanity of this process. If you can't take one week off that's just plain stupid. I didn't even eat that much LOL. It defies all logic.

QED
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Up to the individual.

Meh, same depressing thing happened that always does. I counted for a couple months, eating 1800 calories which btw seems stupid low for someone my size, to lost about 10lbs. I gained the entire 10 back in one week of not counting (vacation). This illustrates the insanity of this process. If you can't take one week off that's just plain stupid. I didn't even eat that much LOL. It defies all logic.

How can you be here this long and not understand how much of that is just water weight?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Up to the individual.

How can you be here this long and not understand how much of that is just water weight?

I was going to say that but I'm going to just wait for my questions to be answered.