Alli

Options
I dont know how often if ever this has been asked but has anyone used something like Alli to aide in weight loss? Has it helped? Pros? Cons? I have been calorie counting for months and not seeing any change. I'll drop a few lbs only to gain it right back. Getting very frustrated and I have pretty much given up.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I hope you like pooping your pants.

All it does is block fats. Why not just eat a moderate calorie deficit? There's no reason to take a pill with such embarrassing side effects when all you have to do is eat less calories than your body uses.
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I do eat a calorie deficit. isnt't that the point of MFP? lol
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I dont know how often if ever this has been asked but has anyone used something like Alli to aide in weight loss? Has it helped? Pros? Cons? I have been calorie counting for months and not seeing any change. I'll drop a few lbs only to gain it right back. Getting very frustrated and I have pretty much given up.

If you haven't seen a change then you are eating more than you think you are. Invest in a food scale if you do not have one already.

As Alyssa said above, Alli blocks fat absorption. If you eat something fatty, it will lead to diarrhea. Just skip the pills. It's not worth it.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/alli-side-effects.html
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake? Do you weigh all of your foods? Do you exercise? Perhaps if you give some more details, we can help you figure out why you are having trouble and you can fix it without medications.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I read up on it once. At the time it was temporarily withdrawn from sale and not for the first time (in UK). When I read the side effects I was pretty horrified! So I decided to do it the traditional way - and its so easy I'm glad I did. I am trying to reeducate myself so it's a change for life not a quick fix, I think that's the way to go x
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Pooping your pants. :laugh:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I think it's even worse than that. I've heard it's like a stinky, orange oil that just leaks out unexpectedly. Not something that I would want to deal with!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cons....it's all cons.

You pay money to take a pill. That pill makes you afraid to eat anything that has fat in it. Your punishment for eating a meal (or snack) with fat in it is pooping your pants.

Google low-fat diets. These are very old fashioned. Dietary fat does not make you fat.....too many calories make you fat. Dietary fat is needed for many bodily functions.

If you go this route (TMI)....buy some panty liners for fear of accidents.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I think it's even worse than that. I've heard it's like a stinky, orange oil that just leaks out unexpectedly. Not something that I would want to deal with!

Oh hellz no... EW
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    I would rather not take any pills. I hate taking and kind of pills for anything. I do measure everything. And I know I read time and time again that if your not losing that your're eating more than you think, but trust me, That is not the case.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Alli, which is the OTC version of Orlistat, inhibits the production of lipase, which is an enzyme your body uses to absorb dietary fats.

The problem with Alli is that those fats remain in the gut resulting in "loose stools". If you remember the "fake fat" Olestra potato chips about 10 years ago, they had the same problem for the same reason.

So, if you use Alli, you must reduce fat intake to avoid the side effects.

So you can get the same benefits by reducing your fat intake without the medication.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would rather not take any pills. I hate taking and kind of pills for anything. I do measure everything. And I know I read time and time again that if your not losing that your're eating more than you think, but trust me, That is not the case.

The only way to lose weight is to be eating less than you burn. Either you are eating more than you think you are or your calorie goal is too high.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yes, but how are you measuring your intake?

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    Doesn't look like I am going to try it. Figured no harm in asking. I'd rather not anyway.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I do eat a calorie deficit. isnt't that the point of MFP? lol

If you aren't using a food scale to weigh/measure your intake you might be eating more than you realize. Also, in order for the weight to stay off you have to stay on course. It's not about "dieting" to get to a certain size and then stop. It's truly a lifestyle change. From what I've seen, the most successful weight losser don't stop working out & eating right.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is obese. She tried it for about two weeks, but she said that the result of it (as previous posters mentioned) was NOT worth it. She said that you'd never know when it would happen, you could be out, sitting at your desk at work, doing dishes, any time, and there you go - orange stool on your pants. She said that it ruined so many pairs of underwear/pants that she could have bought a gym membership for less money.

There are lots of supplements or aides that I wouldn't take but don't care if others want to try them. This is one of the few where I want to actively discourage people from taking.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Doesn't look like I am going to try it. Figured no harm in asking. I'd rather not anyway.

What are your stats? Can you open your diary? We can help you, if you're open to advice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

If you aren't losing weight, that is the case.

You say you measure, but do you weigh your food with a food scale? Because there's a huge difference.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If a person took alli and reduced their fat intake, if those 'fat calories' were then replaced with calories from non fat sources then there would still be no weight loss. Would there?? I'm not trying to cause an argument it's a serious question :)