Over 40? - EAT PROTEIN WITHIN ONE HOUR OF EXERCISE

Options
2»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    There's little point in facepalming to your own logical fallacy (i.e I didn't say I believed anything, and the radio show didn't make the claims that you are objecting to). As you said, go and research the actual science - including that by the actual scientist on the show. Or don't, it makes no difference to me either way.
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Now go back and look at what the OP wote........ 'you should eat protein WITHIN ONE HOUR of exercise - as only is this window of time will your muscles absorb protein and build muscle bulk'.

Do you honestly believe that the human body has a timer that begins ticking the second you finish physical exertion and will only run for 1 hour then immediately shut off thereby ceasing muscle protein synthesis and terminating metabolic activity?

Good lawd there's simply not enough face palm in the world :/

Not only are you too ignorant to listen to the Professor you then take to insulting people.

This is relevant to the older generation where the mechanism that builds muscle is much less effective.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    RBrigzy wrote: »

Not only are you too ignorant to listen to the Professor you then take to insulting people.

This is relevant to the older generation where the mechanism that builds muscle is much less effective.

As we age our protein requirements differ, you however you were not talking about protein requirements, you were talking about anabolic timing and it's effect on muscle protein synthesis and hypertrophy.

As for ignorance I make a special point to reserve it only for people who watch Dr. Oz, follow Food Babe and believe that the Kardiashian family are not stealing precious oxygen from the rest of us and do in fact serve a purpose ;)

• tjsealey
    tjsealey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is actually shorter: 30-45 mins. It is doing that time that the body starts to repair itself and will search for protein to begin the process. You don't wanna wait to long because you may lose muscle mass that you would hard to gain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's a review of some of the studies: http://nutrientjournal.com/post-workout-anabolic-window/
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    you were talking about anabolic timing and it's effect on muscle protein synthesis
    Correct - I assume for some reason you cannot listen to the article - perhaps if you are in the US you cannot access all BBC online services (?)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

This is also interesting and suggests that older people may get benefits from more protein than younger, although everything seems kind of inconclusive.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, that podcast was interesting, but it is from 2010 - 5 years ago, and is based on one professor's research. If you read lemurcat12's link, research since has either not supported it, or not been conclusive.

And wouldn't it be inefficient if the human body came with a timer that started working after we had been alive for 40 years making it so specifically difficult to fuel muscle growth? What would be the biologic or evolutionary basis for such a randomly restrictive need?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, that podcast was interesting, but it is from 2010 - 5 years ago, and is based on one professor's research. If you read lemurcat12's link, research since has either not supported it, or not been conclusive.

And wouldn't it be inefficient if the human body came with a timer that started working after we had been alive for 40 years making it so specifically difficult to fuel muscle growth? What would be the biologic or evolutionary basis for such a randomly restrictive need?

Evolutionary processes aren't guided by a particular logic in advance
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    The intended focus here was for older folk as mentioned in the post title - rather than a general "anabolic window" for everyone. This has been overlooked by many replying here I feel. I did not mention "older folk" in the wording in the post content so I can see what happened.

The mentioned article (lemurcat12) from 2013 "Nutrient timing revisited" does in fact reference some of professor Greenhaff's work, and as you say states further research is required to reach conclusion, but does not dismiss his research.

I accept it is not entirely conclusive - only time will tell if he is correct should an entirely conclusive study be completed focusing on older folk. Meanwhile I see no harm in consuming protein not too long after my workout - in case he is correct.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Lots of workout magazines state a similar theory. But some also say it is a tiny amount of protein that is needed, like 20 grams.

I have read this theory for years and have room in my daily calorie spread for 100 calories of protein about 15 minutes before lifting.

So as part of a good diet and exercise plan, does it work?

Maybe? Hard to prove in my mind but I'm happy with my progress.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    RBrigzy wrote: »
    According to research I have just listed to on the BBC's Radio 4 programme you should eat protein WITHIN ONE HOUR of exercise - as only is this window of time will your muscles absorb protein and build muscle bulk.

The entire programme is VERY interesting and you can listen by following this link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tdnjl

I think what is throwing everyone is your all or nothing statement of "eat protein WITHIN ONE HOUR of exercise - as only is this window of time will your muscles absorb protein and build muscle bulk." So the other 23 hours (give or take) of non-exercise, your muscles will not absorb protein or build??? We would be dead, I was assume, if this was the case :D .
    Take-away from the other poster's link about Nutrient Timing revisited is, eat a couple of meals a day with those meals consisting of protein.... Good to go.
    Additionally, I agree that as we age, studies have found that we might benefit from additional protein as "stuff don't work as well as it used to when we were young whipper-snappers". So add in a few extra grams of protein spread across your day...Good to go.