What are some rewards you give yourself after meeting your goals?

Options

Replies

• amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't made a list, I have "dream" ideas, but now I want to make a set list! My only goal so far is I want to get a small Superman tattoo (I know, maybe a bit geeky, but it's got a story LOL!) when I earn my black belt. I'm getting closer, only 2 belts between me and that black, and I won't get all the way without getting in really good shape and shedding these pounds! Now I'm going to set some weight rewards :)
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am going to counter all this reward talk by saying that I don't believe in giving myself external rewards. It's already my money since I worked to earn it and I am already worth spending it on myself. Besides, I am not 12 and do not need to be bribed. The outcome is the reward. In any event, external rewards generally do not work for any tasks that involve creative and critical thinking or problem-solving. Yes, a reward can make my dog sit, stay, and heel, but they don't work very well for people. My reward is that I will hopefully live a happy, healthy life for quite a few more years.
    Jeez, lighten up. Getting myself a new pair of pants to exercise in when I've worked my butt off and lost 5 inches from my hips doesn't mean I don't value the intrinsic reward of the hard work.
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am going to counter all this reward talk by saying that I don't believe in giving myself external rewards. It's already my money since I worked to earn it and I am already worth spending it on myself. Besides, I am not 12 and do not need to be bribed. The outcome is the reward. In any event, external rewards generally do not work for any tasks that involve creative and critical thinking or problem-solving. Yes, a reward can make my dog sit, stay, and heel, but they don't work very well for people. My reward is that I will hopefully live a happy, healthy life for quite a few more years.
    Jeez, lighten up. Getting myself a new pair of pants to exercise in when I've worked my butt off and lost 5 inches from my hips doesn't mean I don't value the intrinsic reward of the hard work.

my thoughts exactly. Why can't you have both!

I've lost 36lb so far and have had to buy new clothes. But as a treat I bought myself an Asics running top that is size XL. I essentially look like a deformed sausage in it at the moment but my reward for the next 3 to 4 weeks of weighing food, planning meals, snacks, walking 3 miles every other day, going to the furthest loos in the building, parking as far away from shop entrances as possible, gardening 3 times a week (2 hours at a time), doing squats, lifting weights is that the next time I put that top on I will look like, not a deformed sausage, but an overweight runner and I am absolutely fine with that. And then in 6 months when it goes in the too big pile I am having a steak the size of my head.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Goals like this are fun and if you grew up in a home where you were rewarded with food for doing things, as I was, then non food rewards are a way to break that mind-set. Whatever the milestone - a birthday or a weight loss goal achieved, I would rather have a new pair of jeans than a slap up meal.

I am saving my new jeans purchase until I get to 70kg and then I want to get a tight pair that will still work at 65kg! The 60kg goal is a holiday to your lovely United States (I live in Africa. It is going to be expensive.)

If anyone has ever read Dan Ariely, he talks about the mechanisms behind why rewarding ourselves for doing difficult things pays off. There is real science behind it. (Predictably Irrational - the chapter where he talks about how he rewarded himself for taking horrible meds with side-effects and the trials his team did to explore the idea further).
  • rivy1226
    rivy1226 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started so I haven't really given myself any awards yet. but I think I will get a manicure at a salon after every 10 lbs lost. Im at 8.5 lbs.. so Im close to my first manicure!
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Started 194lb. Goal is 134lb. 60lbs to lose total or in UK measurements 4 stone 4 lb. I'm down 8lb already.

Once I've lost a stone (14lb) I'm going to treat myself to a home pamper day
    2 stone (-28lb) Will be exercise equipment/gear of some kind
    3 stone (-42lb) Will be some new nice make up
    No reward for 4 stone as my final goal is only 4lb more!
    Goal: New wardrobe of clothes (as should slim from UK size 16 down to size 10-12) and have my hair professionally dyed auburn/red.
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet, best reward is to be here and see that it works! I will treat myself to a new swimsuit when my class starts again in October. Till then I mean to lose 5 kg more (a total of 10) and I might need one. I also would love one of those Polar things with chest belt where you can measure distance in swimming, heart rate... I have to check first, how expensive they are though, but I like knowing what I have done in exercise. For after my final goal I will trade my gym membership against something a bit more fun, like membership in a yoga studio or something I might enjoy at that time. I probably have a year to go so time to think about it. I will not do rewards like "when I lose so much I'll have that". I have tried it before and it did not work for me at all. I started cheating with results and behaved like a naughty child. What I will do is try to be relaxed about it all and spoil myself once in a while with non-food goodies. Today, after reaching my first minus 5 kg, I am wearing jeans with a T-Shirt that does NOT cover my hips - big treat for me!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Cold Stone Ice Cream
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was going to get a Fitbit HR as a reward after x amount of weight loss, but then I also thought that it might be good for me to get it now to help me reach that weight loss goal, so that's what I did. :smile: I think you will be very happy with it, I know I am!

As for other goal rewards, I need to sit down and think about that. My ultimate reward is a surgery and a shopping spree, but I should probably put in some smaller goals as well that will either help me reach my GW faster or new clothes. :smiley:
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple.....a great bourbon and a good cigar!
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo of a sun in the middle of my shoulder blades that needs to be finished. I think that will be my reward.
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds and turn 50 in March. I traded in my older Harley for a newer one!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Hair appt every 20 pounds and a new tattoo at 75. Don't know if I will do a reward at 100 where my goal is 110 anyway. Final goal so far will be new clothes not bought at goodwill.
  • dnllkey
    dnllkey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After reaching my goal weight, I am going to six flags and Carowinds! It's been forever, and the last time I was there, I couldn't ride the rides. So I'm super excited!
  • LinzNicholeV
    LinzNicholeV Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    dnllkey wrote: »
    After reaching my goal weight, I am going to six flags and Carowinds! It's been forever, and the last time I was there, I couldn't ride the rides. So I'm super excited!

This is me too. The last time I went to Six Flags, which was about 10 years ago, I couldn't fit on the rides and had to do that embarrasing walk off the platform after being told the bar wouldn't lock on me. Sooo when I reach my goal weight I'm going back and riding everything!!!!
    Along the way I have smaller goals, like getting pedicures after so many pounds lost, hair appointments, etc. The only other 'big' reward I have is I'm going buy myself a designer purse when I get under 200lbs :smiley:
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Some new clothes, I won't buy tons right now, seeing I am still losing weight, but eveytime I lose 15/20 lbs I need something new.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Massage for every 10 pound loss :smiley:
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I am currently 217, once I hit 190 I am going to get my hair done. Once I hit 169 I am going to begin shopping for new clothes. I am going to both Turkey and Germany this year so my goal is to be fit for my trips
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hooker boots & to wear my favorite jeans from 20 years ago... When I lose about 100 lbs....
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Hooker boots & to wear my favorite jeans from 20 years ago... When I lose about 100 lbs....
    Oh i have some killer boots id love to take out of my closet

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!