Green Tea

Options

Replies

• Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    JulesVinTX wrote: »
    About 10 years ago, when I lost a significant amount of weight, I drank green tea religiously, about 3-4 cups a day. I didn't get a single cold for two years. I'm sure healthy living as a whole contributed to that, but green tea has been proven to be rich in antioxidants such as polyphenols. Here's a great, short article: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/food-polyphenols-boost-gut-health-and-longevity-121213#1

When I began to drink green tea on a regular basis I felt like I was healthier and not sluggish. I have no idea why I stopped drinking it. Need to add it to my daily diet again
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, when I lost a significant amount of weight, I drank green tea religiously, about 3-4 cups a day. I didn't get a single cold for two years. I'm sure healthy living as a whole contributed to that, but green tea has been proven to be rich in antioxidants such as polyphenols. Here's a great, short article: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/food-polyphenols-boost-gut-health-and-longevity-121213#1

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Shreshka wrote: »
    Its helps in the establishment of a healthy immune system. It also detoxes your body and is a great substitute for fatty sugar filled sodas. I've been drinking it for a year and I wouldn't say it is the sole simulator of weight loss. It is just a healthier option for your body. It has minimal calories

Please, tell us what exactly it does to "detox" our bodies?

Green tea has endless anti-oxidants and vitamins that help cleanse your body in a way. This helps in speeding up your metabolic rate thus burning some fat.

Antioxidants and vitamins are needed by our bodies for specific reasons (each vitamin does something different, and oxidation in cells is what causes aging, which is inevitable for everyone eventually), but they are not to "detox".

Detox is a buzzword created by marketers to get you to buy something. Our livers and kidneys get rid of toxins in our bodies just fine, and nothing that you eat or drink is going to help that process go more efficiently. Green tea is just a hydrating drink with some caffeine and some antioxidants in it. You can get the vitamins/antioxidants from other sources, and you can get caffeine from other sources as well.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Its helps in the establishment of a healthy immune system. It also detoxes your body and is a great substitute for fatty sugar filled sodas. I've been drinking it for a year and I wouldn't say it is the sole simulator of weight loss. It is just a healthier option for your body. It has minimal calories

Green tea has endless anti-oxidants and vitamins that help cleanse your body in a way. This helps in speeding up your metabolic rate thus burning some fat.

I guess I have been wrong for a very long time. I always thought your liver did that. Guess I will just have to educate myself.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ...It also detoxes your body...

Ugh. No. It doesn't. That't not how it works.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    ...It also detoxes your body...

Ugh. No. It doesn't. That't not how it works.

Isn't it amazing how many people think that.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I only drink low-fat soda.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

OK. You don't have to agree with anything on here. It's anecdotal, and I made that clear. No need to try to prove how oh-so-brilliant you are, slinging tired Latin logic used by people ... well, by people trying to prove how oh-so-brilliant they are.

You don't like the studies that show green tea, by virtue of its properties, might be good for you? Fine. Don't drink it. But don't go around making definitive statements about it's "just a hydrating drink with some caffeine in it."

BTW, caffeine is a diuretic. Hmm, if it makes you piss, is that hydrating? Can you state that as fact? What's Latin for piss?

Speaking of piss, I usually don't come on to the communities because there is ALWAYS that one negatory (is that Latin? Or is that a Bushism?) butt munch (how about that? Buttus Munchus?) who has to piss all over everything.

Have a healthy day!

Caffeine isn't much of a diuretic. Tea hydrates no differently than water.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015
    Options

OK. You don't have to agree with anything on here. It's anecdotal, and I made that clear. No need to try to prove how oh-so-brilliant you are, slinging tired Latin logic used by people ... well, by people trying to prove how oh-so-brilliant they are.

You don't like the studies that show green tea, by virtue of its properties, might be good for you? Fine. Don't drink it. But don't go around making definitive statements about it's "just a hydrating drink with some caffeine in it."

BTW, caffeine is a diuretic. Hmm, if it makes you piss, is that hydrating? Can you state that as fact? What's Latin for piss?

Speaking of piss, I usually don't come on to the communities because there is ALWAYS that one negatory (is that Latin? Or is that a Bushism?) butt munch (how about that? Buttus Munchus?) who has to piss all over everything.

Have a healthy day!

The diuretic effect of caffeine is negligent unless you drink it in massive quantities.

And I never said green tea was not "good for you." By all means, if you like it, drink it - however, it's not some magic bullet that defends against colds. That's ridiculous. I'd be more inclined to say that your new, healthier lifestyle and weight was more of a contributing factor to your improved health than the green tea was.

Also, look up "ad hominem" and perhaps stop trying to use them as a tool when defending your views in a debate. That is not a good way to look credible. I was not rude to you, I was just pointing out the faulty logic in your post.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Thaaaaat is so not true.
    You got kidneys right?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

Have a healthy day!

If by "piss all over everything" you mean "state scientific fact" then yes, there are several of us who will do this.

Why? Because I care about reality and I care enough about the people living in that reality to try and sell them unicorn farts as a viable weight loss solution.

And yes, science has shown that tea is hydrating, on Mt. Everest no less
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14872247/
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

Have a healthy day!

The diuretic effect of caffeine is negligent unless you drink it in massive quantities.

And I never said green tea was not "good for you." By all means, if you like it, drink it - however, it's not some magic bullet that defends against colds. That's ridiculous. I'd be more inclined to say that your new, healthier lifestyle and weight was more of a contributing factor to your improved health than the green tea was.

Also, look up "ad hominem" and perhaps stop trying to use them as a tool when defending your views in a debate. That is not a good way to look credible. I was not rude to you, I was just pointing out the faulty logic in your post.

Ugg. I drink green tea every day and I'm sick right now. Blerg.
    I blame the toddler.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Have a healthy day!

This is the problem so many people have...they interpenetrate "good for you" as "must be magical fat burner". Nobody said green tea wasn't good for you...nobody is saying that it doesn't contain awesome antioxidants.

being good for you is not the same thing as being a magic bullet for weight loss.

man people are dense as *kitten*.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Have a healthy day!

Ugg. I drink green tea every day and I'm sick right now. Blerg.
    I blame the toddler.

Darn kids, always bringing bugs into the house.

I hadn't had a stomach virus since childhood until I had kids of my own. They're worth it, though.

Most of the time. :wink:
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Have a healthy day!

There are also studies that show harm. Green tea prevents the absorption of folic acid and has been linked to neural tube defects in both observational and interventional studies.
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options

There are also studies that show harm. Green tea prevents the absorption of folic acid and has been linked to neural tube defects in both observational and interventional studies.

See this is helpful to me. I have to take folic acid so anything that may prevent its absorption would probably not be a good idea for me. Thanks :smile:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not a single thing

actually it does work in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet

but so does riding elephants

My homeowner's insurance and local zoning ordinances won't allow me to get an elephant, and none of the gyms in my area have them. Green tea it is!

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    I read an article online that said Green Tea can help with weight loss. Is there any truth to it?

I seem to remember a study on Pubmed a while back saying that green tea extract equivalent to 6 cups of tea led to greater fat loss.

"Buttus Munchus" - hilarious
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    I read an article online that said Green Tea can help with weight loss. Is there any truth to it?

It's not true. However, drinking any non-calorie tea instead of eating does help weight loss because eliminating that extra food will create a calorie deficit.

The true and tried way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Shreshy wrote: »

Yup the marketer have sold you on there gullible gimmicks.

That does not help speed up your basal metabolic rate. Green tea has less calories than soda. I think everyone can agree with that. That is common knowledge I hope. It doesn't do anything else you named.