Where are my fellow anti-running people?

Options

Replies

• WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner either. Even when I was well conditioned in running (running 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week), I never got to the point where I liked it. Each time I woke in the morning and remembered it was a 'running day' I'd no longer look forward to my workout! I've accepted that I never will and as another poster said, why do something you don't like?! Instead I: swim, elliptical, walk, or do step aerobics (I know, so totally 80's but it's a GREAT workout for me) for my cardio days. Me, I love my strength training!!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If i could just be like this... everyday.... i would....

d8JrO4G.gif

but alas, i gotsta be active.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I just realized my profile pic is of my finisher shirt for the Nashville run I did in April. That's pretty funny. Yup, still didn't like the running part.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I hate running outdoors and I hate running on a treadmill. I also hate jogging. I hate the elliptical, arc trainer, stairmaster, stationary bike, and any other cardio machine in existence. I don't like dancing, skipping, or jump roping. Walking is fine, but I don't do it for a calorie burn - it's more for relaxing and because you should walk your dogs every single day unless you have a crap load of land for them. If you're out and about and see me running, you better run too, because there's something mighty scary chasing after me and you should get out of its path.

In other words, I find cardio to be synonymous with torture. I lift, and do about 10 minutes of HIIT, no machines required, five days a week after each training session. That's it, and I have no plans to increase that. I lost most of my weight with one hour of cardio per week and four hours of lifting. Good stuff.

Team No-Cardio!

tumblr_mgvxspSO4i1s3bpn4o1_500.gif
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haaaate running/jogging. hiking is fun and I get some cardio when I warm up on the elliptical but I get my cardio every other day when I do high reps of low/body weight with very short rest periods :-)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am kinda want to give it a try to overcome the thing I hate.

But yeah, I hate running. I have weak ankles and asthma that is at its worst while runing. Even though I regularly do cardio at a high intensity, I get asthma attacks the moment I start running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I hate running. I tell my BFF the only way I'll run any sort of race is if there is a killer clown behind me and the promise of booze at the end.

I've tried so many programs / apps based on I also hated running until... recommendations with a positive attitude. Nope, I hate running and I'm just not going to ever get on board with the running trend and I'm OK with that.

I elliptical instead. I love the ellpitical.

Where are my fellow running is the worst people? How do you get your cardio in?

I didn't know there was a running trend...I know tons of people into fitness who don't run...in fact, as an avid cyclist, most of my fitness friends are also avid cyclist...who very rarely if ever run.

I view things like crossfit and bootcamps and what not as trends...running has been around a loooonnnnngggg time and has been a popular form of fitness within the fitness community at large for a long time...likely because it's relatively cheap and highly portable.

I myself very rarely run...occasionally with my wife...but I'd take my bike over a run any day.
  • pasandoval
    pasandoval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Play soccer. Running but with a ball and excitement.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, bike, walking and an occasional low impact DVD are my cardio. May not be as many calories, but at least I can breathe and not trip over my own feet!
  • JeraldTX
    JeraldTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would like running if it wasn't for the, you know,... running part.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Beer run. Put me down for that.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have never enjoyed running. My wife got me started a few years back, and for almost two years I ran a couple times per week. I hated almost every minute of it.

I learned, at least for myself, that walking was just as effective at helping CICO, and it was far more pleasant.

Now I usually walk for 45-60 minutes every morning.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If I was supposed to run why would I have a car ?
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Don't like running. Does seem like a great idea- just put on shoes and run out the door. But no, my knees can't handle it. Main cardio these days is cycling, which used to be a great passion of mine, so happy to be back at it.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am of your people, just ignore all the treadmill running, it's to prove a point to someone. Honour is at stake etc.
  • moosiemom
    moosiemom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My knees and feet hurt before I'm even tired... so I hate running. Now I get my cardio from u-jam. I enjoy the company and I have fun. I walk to reach my 10,000 steps though. (Beginner, obviously.)
  • tloving3916
    tloving3916 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I concur. Running is heinous. I am surrounded by a family of runners, and I kid you not everyone has had either knee, foot, or back surgery. Everyone. It is all about the cycling (just don't hit stuff)!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    i used to. until one day i didn't.

I also used to love the elliptical and now hate it. We all change.

I always thought one day I would add running as one of my options for staying active . . . I did the C25K, completed it. I even planned to run a 5K for my birthday last year until I just admitted to myself that not only did I hate running I did not like what is was doing to my shape. I also went through a period where I hated the elliptical, we have since reconciled and our affair on back on track.

The funny thing is even after the C25K, I didn't really get over the whole movement part of running that I detested until I started doing strength workouts at home, those movement made me much lighter on my feet. Who knows you may one day only detest running :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that most people hate running, the trails are crowded enough. Now if I could just convince a couple of million more people to quit cycling........

Seriously OP, do what you love!

I live in an area that is nothing but two-lane highways, speed limits from 45 mph to 55 mph. And lots of curves and hills, and, of course, no bicycle lane or even a shoulder. Cyclists love them. I would be terrified of getting splatted. As it is, I am terrified of splatting someone else, so I just slow down when I come to a cycle danger zone in anticipation there is a cyclist. Worse is when about 100 of them are in a group, all going different speeds. Why don't they go places where there are bike trails????

In other news, I hate running as well. Wish I loved it, though, but my problem isn't pain in my feet or legs; it's running out of breath. People tell me I'm breathing wrong, yada yada, but regardless, I HATE that feeling. Walking is just fine.