What are some rewards you give yourself after meeting your goals?

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    I am going to counter all this reward talk by saying that I don't believe in giving myself external rewards. It's already my money since I worked to earn it and I am already worth spending it on myself. Besides, I am not 12 and do not need to be bribed. The outcome is the reward. In any event, external rewards generally do not work for any tasks that involve creative and critical thinking or problem-solving. Yes, a reward can make my dog sit, stay, and heel, but they don't work very well for people. My reward is that I will hopefully live a happy, healthy life for quite a few more years.
    Jeez, lighten up. Getting myself a new pair of pants to exercise in when I've worked my butt off and lost 5 inches from my hips doesn't mean I don't value the intrinsic reward of the hard work.

my thoughts exactly. Why can't you have both!

I've lost 36lb so far and have had to buy new clothes. But as a treat I bought myself an Asics running top that is size XL. I essentially look like a deformed sausage in it at the moment but my reward for the next 3 to 4 weeks of weighing food, planning meals, snacks, walking 3 miles every other day, going to the furthest loos in the building, parking as far away from shop entrances as possible, gardening 3 times a week (2 hours at a time), doing squats, lifting weights is that the next time I put that top on I will look like, not a deformed sausage, but an overweight runner and I am absolutely fine with that. And then in 6 months when it goes in the too big pile I am having a steak the size of my head.

Of course, I very much enjoy my new clothes and all the other perks of losing weight, but when I see people designing elaborate reward systems, I am reminded of how so many of my students have been negatively affected by having carrots dangled in front of them since birth to do anything. It has sucked the motivation right out of them.
  • rochelleclarke1
    rochelleclarke1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    well damn... :s i didnt know its a trend to reward one's self..nothing against anyone with outlandish reward ideas, to each their own. i was here thinking the whole time getting healthier is the best reward in and of itself....seeing that i was the one who put myself in the "unhealthy state" in the first place. now that ive seem everyone else's post, im looking at this ideology differently. im now 150lbs looking to go back to 130-135lbs just to maintain a tone physique, so when i reach my goal ill...i have no idea, i guess try not to blow back up. :/ or get Doritos, i love doritos
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got this when I hit -#30
    ha7wh10d8iqp.jpg
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My bf is actually very encouraging. Different things such as a new video game at 10 lbs lost to when I reach my UGW, he'll buy me a Burberry Trench! :) Working hard, obviously! LOL
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many pounds it will take, but i want to walk in Victoria Secret and buy a bra :o
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For every 10 pounds I loose I have a burger from a restaurant that I like. I am trying to avoid the need to eat out. But when I get close to goal I'll be making new cloths. There are dresses that I made when i was 150lbs that I can't wait to get back into.
  • clhobbs09
    clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and the forum community and I loved reading all the post and will begin to make my list shortly. What I find amazing here is how people post on boards that are either not of interest to them or they have absolutely nothing supportive to say. Isn't that he entire point of reading the topics and having something valid to contribute? I find it rude to discourage people just because it's something you don't believe in or you just feel the need to be completely nasty. If not move on to the next board that best suits you and leave your comments there. It can be very discouraging to someone new to read the petty and discourage them from gaining support from people who are actually great at giving it. With that said, I will think of own rewards when I hit my mini goals which by the way is a great idea OP. I see the lost of weight and inches doesn't necessarily cause one to lose nasty attitudes and insecurities. I always reward my kids for going above and beyond whether it's school or otherwise and if that makes me a bad parent I'm going to be great at it! Motivation is key!

Best of luck to everyone. And happy goal/reward setting.
  • Heydew
    Heydew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand that being healthy is the best reward. But this started for me when I thought, "i really want a Fitbit" I knew my husband would not be excited for me to drop 160 dollars on it right then and there (I have a past of making purchases and then not using them) so I came up with it being a reward of hitting -30 lbs! I have 75 I want to lose total and I know it will be more important to keep my heart rate up the further down the road i go so a heart rate monitor should be a fantastic tool!

Anywho, to each there own right! What ever works for you!

The getting hair done sounds like and awesome plan! Maybe when I reach -60 I'll do that! Maybe get it super short!
  • Heydew
    Options
    clhobbs09 wrote: »
    I'm new to MFP and the forum community and I loved reading all the post and will begin to make my list shortly. What I find amazing here is how people post on boards that are either not of interest to them or they have absolutely nothing supportive to say. Isn't that he entire point of reading the topics and having something valid to contribute? I find it rude to discourage people just because it's something you don't believe in or you just feel the need to be completely nasty. If not move on to the next board that best suits you and leave your comments there. It can be very discouraging to someone new to read the petty and discourage them from gaining support from people who are actually great at giving it. With that said, I will think of own rewards when I hit my mini goals which by the way is a great idea OP. I see the lost of weight and inches doesn't necessarily cause one to lose nasty attitudes and insecurities. I always reward my kids for going above and beyond whether it's school or otherwise and if that makes me a bad parent I'm going to be great at it! Motivation is key!

Best of luck to everyone. And happy goal/reward setting.

This right here......beautiful
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    looking through the rewards mentioned here I really have to say I don't see a problem with the whole reward thing at all! So many rewards are directly connected to getting fitter / losing weight that they are actually rather a tool to reach your goals than a treat.
  • AriaColl
    AriaColl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think I would compare my reward system to the icing on the cake. Sure chocolate cake tastes fine but coated with dark chocolate icing and filled with a layer of apricot jam I am in heaven!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I get tattoos. If I reach a goal I get the outline done and when I reach the next one I get the detail done. I cant walk around with a bunch if line drawings on me lol
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Fitbits or other activity trackers seem a popular choice of reward but I would not recommend waiting until you drop 30 pounds to get one as they are so motivational!

A drop of ten pounds should be enough to convince even the most sceptical partner that you are serious about weight loss and justify treating yourself to one.

I have a Garmin Vivofit 2 which has not been off my wrist in the six weeks that I bought it and it really has contributed to my progress.
  • wildflowerherbal
    wildflowerherbal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes I've got non-food treats for every couple of pounds lost like a new purse. Bigger things like belly button piercing when I reach goal weight (1 stone off now). I find it very encouraging and loving to myself, which is all good.
  • Heydew
    Options
    That's awesome! I have an iPhone 6 plus that already counts my steps and syncs them to MFP and it has helped me tremendously! I have a desk job that is business casual though and sometimes I don't have a pocket (or one big enough) for my phone so it gets left at my desk :(. I'm so very close to -30lbs that I feel like wanting the Fitbit is really helping me push through these next 8 lbs! But I agree that they are amazing motivational tools! Does the Garmin Vivofit do your heartrate?
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Heydew wrote: »
    That's awesome! I have an iPhone 6 plus that already counts my steps and syncs them to MFP and it has helped me tremendously! I have a desk job that is business casual though and sometimes I don't have a pocket (or one big enough) for my phone so it gets left at my desk :(. I'm so very close to -30lbs that I feel like wanting the Fitbit is really helping me push through these next 8 lbs! But I agree that they are amazing motivational tools! Does the Garmin Vivofit do your heartrate?

I've bought myself an apple watch that tracks steps, launches MyMyRun and reminds me every hour to get up (if I've been dormant for that hour!) - its a challenge every day to meet that 10k steps but the watch is a godsend.
    ---

I also bought myself a Soup Maker - It is sensational. Throw in the raw ingredients, add seasoning and water and press the button and leave. I've had it for 12 weeks and have made soup for 11 of those weeks - average calories is around 160 per portion and each batch is 4 portions. In fact I've just had Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup for my lunch.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @Heydew - I tried using my phone as well but ran into the same problem - it is a Galaxy Note so quite a big beast.

The Garmin I have does not have a HR function but there are other models in the range that do. My reasons for choosing it were that the battery lasts about a year (I already have enough gadgets to charge!) and I already had a Garmin GPS for my bike. The Garmin web site shows data for both these devices so it made sense for me to go with the Vivofit.

I know a couple of people with Fitbits and they love them so I am sure you would be happy with one. Good luck getting to your -30 target.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My plan is a big tattoo on my leg once I reach -50 lbs. I'm halfway there!
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I'm hunting for ideas. My journey is just as much about self love as physical fitness so many of the rewards I set before don't make sense now as I see I am worth them as I currently am...I already give myself regular pampering (massage and pedicures). I also have started calling them "celebrations" instead of rewards...but I have to get more creative...so I was thinking getting fancy spa treatments to celebrate fitness/weight milestones....and a really awesome pair of jeans when I hit goal...need some more ideas though since I am almost at my first goal and have 50 more lbs too go as well as various non scale goals.
    Friend me if you are into giving support and motivation and getting it right back!
  • clhobbs09
    clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Heydew wrote: »

I know this sounds weird but before I got my Fiibit, I would stuff my phone in my bra. That way I could make sure I count my steps. My clothes usually don't have pockets either and that was a fix for me until I got an armband.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!