Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No piece of advice works for everyone.

That is why discussion boards are nice. People who want a variety of opinions can get them. Maybe hear something new.

There is no One, True Way to lose weight.

I fail to see how this pertains to the thread, other than the issue of blanket advice not being applicable. We agree there.

However, you introducing the issue of weight loss and true ways? Not germane to the discussion.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Must still be too early for me because I don't understand the OP. Is it "people who don't net 1200 calories because MFP's exercise burns are too high"?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That is why discussion boards are nice. People who want a variety of opinions can get them. Maybe hear something new.

Yes there is Calories in < Calories Out

There is no one true path to acheiving that .. whatever suits .. but that ..is absolutely the over-riding, indisputable true way
    Honestly, even that won't help everyone. Not everyone can eat little enough to lose weight.

There is no one thing you can say that will work for everyone. "Eat fewer calories than you burn" is pretty basic and would work for most people, lol, but it's not really a plan, KWIM? Everyone has different goals, etc.
  • Kalikel
    Options

I fail to see how this pertains to the thread, other than the issue of blanket advice not being applicable. We agree there.

However, you introducing the issue of weight loss and true ways? Not germane to the discussion.

You're suggesting that the advice doesn't apply to some people, right?

I'm saying that no piece of advice applies to all people.

Did I misunderstand your original point?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

There is no one true path to acheiving that .. whatever suits .. but that ..is absolutely the over-riding, indisputable true way
    Honestly, even that won't help everyone. Not everyone can eat little enough to lose weight.

There is no one thing you can say that will work for everyone. "Eat fewer calories than you burn" is pretty basic and would work for most people, lol, but it's not really a plan, KWIM? Everyone has different goals, etc.

Honestly yes it will

OK maybe you need medical intervention to fix your calories out part of the equation but that doesn't negate it

Eat fewer calories than you burn is meant to be basic .. because if the goal is weight loss that's the basic answer .. the one 'true path'

We have free will to create the plan that suits our psyche / our lifestyle / our fancies and desires

But it still boils down to CICO
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My point? Blanket recommendations regarding net caloric intake aren't helpful.
    Agreed - The overreaching calorie advice is one of my LOL points around here. People clearly have so many different physiques even at the same height/weight.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think stress is a component. Stress from life, stress from extreme exercise, and even from restricting. I am older and I see a pattern with stressful times and the calories in calories out equation falling apart for me during those times.

I add in all my exercise calories and plan to eat a good portion of them back because I need the calories to train.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Honestly yes it will

OK maybe you need medical intervention to fix your calories out part of the equation but that doesn't negate it

Eat fewer calories than you burn is meant to be basic .. because if the goal is weight loss that's the basic answer .. the one 'true path'

We have free will to create the plan that suits our psyche / our lifestyle / our fancies and desires

I think you and I are having two different conversations, lol. I was talking about weight loss advice. That's all. I'm not getting into the craziness of those CICO fights. If I seemed like I was, I apologize.

If you believe that there is one piece of weight loss advice that will go for every single person, we disagree, but I hope we can agree to disagree on that. :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, 5'1 and 135 #. I use TDEE and don't eat back exercise calories. Saves me the confusion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Honestly yes it will

I think you and I are having two different conversations, lol. I was talking about weight loss advice. That's all. I'm not getting into the craziness of those CICO fights. If I seemed like I was, I apologize.

If you believe that there is one piece of weight loss advice that will go for every single person, we disagree, but I hope we can agree to disagree on that. :)

You mean do what I do doesn't cut it .. I'm shocked ...:smile:

Yeah I agree .. there's no ubiquitous this is how you reach your defecit advice .. people have got to (wo)man up and find their own way to achieving CI<CO
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I see you're playing the "here to argue game". Don't.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this, as I'm also a "marginal" and I'm trying to find my correct calorie level.

In my situation, I'm more sedentary that the Sedentary setting allows for (I do 50-100 steps on a good day). When I enabled negative adjustments I could see that I hadn't burned enough but MFP kept me at 1200. My workaround was to change my weekly goal to 1lb and disable those adjustments, but it means that my base data is incorrect. My daily target is now 1430 but I try to keep to 1200ish, and if I use my passive static bicycle I don't eat those calories at all.

I'm sure there is an easier/more accurate way, but I just haven't figured it out yet. I'm still in the first flush ('scuse the pun!) of water loss, so I guess it will be more important to fine tune when I'm nearer goal.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Just stop. You're wrong. Adaptive thermogenesis is not the topic of this thread and issues you introduced into this thread are derailing it.

• Kalikel
    Options

I see you're playing the "here to argue game". Don't.

I wasn't arguing. It was a genuine question. I don't do that, "Ask a question so that I can make fun of the answer" thing.

I can see why you'd think that! It happens a lot! But it was sincere.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    My point? Blanket recommendations regarding net caloric intake aren't helpful.
    Agreed - The overreaching calorie advice is one of my LOL points around here. People clearly have so many different physiques even at the same height/weight.

No wait. The advice to eat less than you burn is always spot on.

You missed my point. There are so many alarmist generalizations regarding DON'T EAT TOO LOW WITH YOUR NET BURNS without actually analyzing the numbers.

That was my point. If someone is doing something like I do and not logging half the burn, but just eating it, they are going to show a low net intake. It's not a problem then. If someone LOGS half the burn, then it's not an issue.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I'm not a shortie, however I understand the issue. I manually change the calories to something probably closer to accurate when I log my exercise. On my feed, it says I burned 150 calories for 30 minutes of elliptical this morning. It's a total guess, but it is not the 394 that MFP says I burned because I know that's a big fat lie.

I know picking random calories is also not the answer, but it works for me since I have a FitBit and I know that the FitBit is gonna override it anyways and give me the exercise adjustment based on what it says my TDEE is today.

I hear ya though. I think that the hard and fast rules...are in fact not hard and fast. ETA: Except CICO...that's hard and fast and no matter what else you add to it, it always works and is always true.

The biggest issue I have with accurate calories is that my two preferred forms of exercise? Well, it's just hard to find an accurate burn for water jogging and strength training. I really feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

I feel like my scale is my best metric, you know?

• Kalikel
    Options

Honestly yes it will

You mean do what I do doesn't cut it .. I'm shocked ...:smile:

Yeah I agree .. there's no ubiquitous this is how you reach your defecit advice .. people have got to (wo)man up and find their own way to achieving CI<CO
    Agreed! There should be a sticky.

Want to try something? Try it! See how it works. Adjust as necessary. Make a decision, (wo)man up and do it!

That would eliminate about 98% of threads, lol.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I go by what my HRM tells me, I burn 1300 calories with exercise. If I eat half of that, my "net" calories will be 950. But I don't believe that is the correct number of calories burned. So I don't log that figure. Instead, I take the number from MapMyRide, but with my weight in MapMyRide set to 100 pounds. That gives me a calorie burn of 545. So, when I eat the 2145 calories MFP tells me to eat, my net calories is the 1600 I'm expecting.

My question is, why would you want to claim calories that you know you aren't burning? Who cares what the estimating tools say, if you know you aren't burning those calories, don't log them. It only messes up what MFP tells you.