Finally just had enough!

Options
mpquave
mpquave Posts: 5 Member
This is the first time I have ever talked about my weight or ever participated in a message board like this (except for Fantasy Football), as I am a pretty private person. However, I am so happy with my progress, I felt I should share my story. I was approximately 250 lbs when I got married which was a manageable weight for me at 6'3". At that point, I exercised at least a couple time a week, but ate whatever I wanted. I had always managed to maintain my weight like this. Well, the kids came shortly after and the exercising stopped. I started cutting back on the amount of times I ate and how much, yet I continued to slowly gain weight. Well, after 8 years of this, I had reached 295 lbs. Several times I had tried and succeeded to lose weight. Usually, by killing my self with increased and intense exercise for a few weeks, but didn't change my eating habits (eating twice a day, sometimes large portions). So, I would end up killing myself, hating exercise, and stopping after a 10 lb weight loss. Naturally, I gained it back. In my mind, I knew I needed to change my eating and exercise behavior and even knew what I needed to do, it just seemed I could never do it. My wife suggested the My Fitness Pal app a year ago, but like most husbands, I thought I knew better. So, when I reached 295, I decided I was not going to see 300.
I downloaded the app and read several of the posts and decided I would give it a try. It was an eye opener from day one. It showed me immediately that my portions were way too big and how many calories I had been consuming. (Way more than I had been guess-ta-mating). I am new to the message boards and haven't read many, but at first glance, I don't see much mention of activity trackers. I purchased a fitbit Charge HR and had my second eye opener. My daily activity level was horrible. I had been promoted to a management position a couple years before my kids were born and had settled into a desk job. I had not made the correlation to the fact that I sued to be on my feet all day and now I was sitting at a desk all day. Common sense, but hard to see the trees for the forest.
So, here was the third eye opener for me. Now that I could see my daily activity and actually see how may calories I was eating, I was able to start improving both with small changes to my daily routines for both. I knew if I killed myself exercising, I would hate it in short order and quit. So, I started walking (running was out of the question at 295). I found that I enjoyed it and benefited form the moderate exercise without killing myself. The app allowed me to monitor my caloric intake and was quickly able to adjust my eating to stay under my goal. I didn't make major changes to my diet as I didn't want to grow to hate "dieting" and quit it as well. I ate a little better, managed my portions, ate more vegetables and fruits, and started to improve my eating routine. The major changes I made to my diet were to give up fried foods (Mainly french fries. I take cholesterol meds so this was killing two birds with one stone), and cut out potatoes as much as possible. Not a low carb diet, just quit my Mega-Carb eating habits. I could eat a large bag of potato chips in one sitting at times. About the only potatoes I eat now are baked chips with sandwiches (the small individual bag. Not trusting myself around a large bag of any chips). It took me about a month to find foods that I liked, and were better for me, to start replacing some of the bad food that I had been used to. Luckily, I have never been a fan of, or craved, sweets. The one other aid I employed was an appetite suppressant to start with. As I changed my diet and eating habits, I found that I did not need it after 2 months and weaned myself off of it.
The results have been amazing for me. I have lost 40 lbs in three months and am down to 255 lbs. I now exercise every day even if it is just walking a mile or two around the neighborhood. (I have gotten to the point whee I can run a couple days a week comfortably). I have developed better eating habits in that I eat better foods, eat smaller portions, and eat when I'm hungry (to prevent me from being starved and go off on eating binges). I drink more water which prevents those "false" hunger pains and walk everywhere I can, when I can. The steps pile up throughout the day when you don't use the car for a two block journey. In summary, I believe that you have to change your daily behavior if you really want to see results and this app, along with some other diet and exercise aids, helped me do it. Reading some of the stories posted here encouraged me to try the app, so I hope my story is able to help someone that wants to make the same changes in their life.

Replies

• kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That's great honey! You're doing really well and you're right about the small changes bit - gradual changes and new habits are the best way to go I think. :smile: Great story. Good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! I'm sure you feel soooo much better health wise and just in yourself! That's great that you were able to recognize and stop yourself before you hit 300. Nice job! Great role model for healthy living for the kids!
  • AriaColl
    AriaColl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great story! Thanks for sharing!
    I totally understand what you mean by seeing the forest for the trees. A lot of moments where I had to facepalm myself ;)
  • TiaVonkeman
    TiaVonkeman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! That was a good read thank you for sharing :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Good work, thanks for sharing
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great work :)
  • Nefari
    Nefari Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with the same start and stop weight loss issue and need constant motivation to keep monitoring and working on myself. Your story is inspiring! Thanks for sharing with us! Needed this today ☺
  • mpquave
    Options
    AriaColl wrote: »
    Great story! Thanks for sharing!
    I totally understand what you mean by seeing the forest for the trees. A lot of moments where I had to facepalm myself ;)

Speaking of the kids, another moment that made me realize I had to do something was when they made a girls only club in their room and wouldn't let me in without the password. I asked the one sitting on my lap what the password was and she said "Daddy's Big belly"! So, as they say, "from the mouth of babies......"
  • mpquave
    Options
    Nefari wrote: »
    I have struggled with the same start and stop weight loss issue and need constant motivation to keep monitoring and working on myself. Your story is inspiring! Thanks for sharing with us! Needed this today ☺

I'll steal from Nike and use their quote to say... "Just do it". One day at a time, one step at a time, one meal at a time. Stack good moments on top of one another and soon you'll have good days, good weeks, good months, and soon a good life. Concentrate on living a healthy lifestyle and don't look for instant results. As a guy, I like movie quotes. One come to mind from an Anthony Hopkins movie called "The Edge". I won't bother with the details, but the quote always stuck with me when another man was telling him he couldn't do it. His reply was ......"What one man can do,......another can do". So, If I can do it, so can you. Good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    mpquave wrote: »
    So, I started walking (running was out of the question at 295). I found that I enjoyed it and benefited form the moderate exercise without killing myself. The app allowed me to monitor my caloric intake and was quickly able to adjust my eating to stay under my goal. I didn't make major changes to my diet as I didn't want to grow to hate "dieting" and quit it as well. I ate a little better, managed my portions, ate more vegetables and fruits, and started to improve my eating routine. The major changes I made to my diet were to give up fried foods (Mainly french fries. I take cholesterol meds so this was killing two birds with one stone), and cut out potatoes as much as possible. Not a low carb diet, just quit my Mega-Carb eating habits. I could eat a large bag of potato chips in one sitting at times. About the only potatoes I eat now are baked chips with sandwiches (the small individual bag. Not trusting myself around a large bag of any chips). It took me about a month to find foods that I liked, and were better for me, to start replacing some of the bad food that I had been used to.
    What a great post!! Thank you for explaining the specific things you did. Congratulations. :mrgreen:
  • cosettecole
    cosettecole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So cool. Congrats! Good luck on the consistency of your journey. You're an inspiration.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I love how realistic you are with things, too. That's one of the first steps to success! Great job.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Awesome work man. I am doing things very much the same way as you. It's not about extreme measures. Small changes over time is the way to go. Nice job!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I also had a rude awakening when I realized that I was Not moving enough. Now I take the long way to the copier and take a 10 min walking break when I need to clear my mind. My husband and I have fitbits and we compete against each other to see who gets more steps. :)
  • khill5555
    khill5555 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thanks so much for sharing your story--its very inspiring!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Jungley
    Jungley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love this story - makes so much sense to log your food...then your activities and to address where you've been going wrong. So inspirational - and sensible...
  • mpquave
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments. It has really helped my motivation because, in the past, after I have achieved some success, I'd stop working and let the old bad habits creep back in. You have all helped me stay on track. A couple of things that I did not mention that I will now as you never know who it could help. Number one, I had already given up drinks that contained sugar several years back. That move spurred some weight loss at first, but the bad eating habits and sedentary lifestyle cancelled that out and the slow gain continued. But, I personally think that is a must. We fight hard enough too limit our calories in food, it's just suicide to drink them. Obviously, drink water whenever you can, but I have the occasional diet drink, though I try to limit myself to one a day. Secondly, another thing that helped me tremendously,(and again, this won't help everyone), but I started using my CPAP machine that I had quit using because it was somewhat uncomfortable and "not sexy" to put on at night when going to bed with my wife. As my doctor had told me, when we gain weight, our airways become smaller which contributes to sleep Apnea. I was diagnosed, got a machine, and rarely used it. When I decided to improve my overall health, this was something I re-introduced religiously. The results were immediate. I felt better daily and was not exhausted like I had been even after getting 6-8 hours of sleep. Now, I get 5-6 hours of sleep and feel 10 times better than a ever have. This improved sleep has helped me stay motivated to exercise every day where before aid literally be too tired to get off the couch. If any of you have been diagnosed but have quit using your CPAP, I urge you to get back on it. It was another piece of the puzzle that contributed to my success. If any of you have similar symptoms of being exhausted no matter how much sleep you get, you may be a candidate for a sleep study. I hope this helps. Again, thank you for all your support. Your encouragement has been inspiring.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness!
  • Toddpbarrett
    Toddpbarrett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job. I know its hard as a man to admit weakness and areas we have lost control over. That pride is what keeps us stuck. Your authenticity and humility will keep you moving forward to your goal. Way to go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!