Why is my body so stubborn?? No fat loss and need help

Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Jess830409 wrote: »
    I take a very low dose of estrogen and progesterone - because it was literally like someone took me from 100 to 0 when I had my surgery.

I am definetely not new to the game. I own a food scale - I weigh everything - even the milk that goes in my coffee in the morning - and I log. Trust me, people at my work believe I am obsessive about it. And when I do splurge, it comes with a price. Sodium and I do not get along, and when I go above a certain amount it takes a long time just to get the water weight to go down.

If you don’t mind me saying, I notice that you don’t weigh some of the things in your diary. 20 cherries, 1/2cup almonds, 3tbsp popping corn, medium apple, 0.13cup cheese: maybe these things add up. It might help if you tried tightening up your logging for a few weeks to see what happens.

Anyhow, keep on those doctors, and I really hope you figure things out.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Barring a medical condition, it sounds like you need to eat fewer calories.

I'd say that having no ovaries counts as a medical condition.
    And if it can't be compensated for by medicine, then the answer is that she just has to eat less. Which is exactly what I said.

Less than 1,300 calories a day?
    If you're gaining weight on what you're eating now, and a doctor can't prescribe anything that alters that, what options do you think there are other than fewer net calories?

She could drop the cardio and get on a solid lifting program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women and try to add muscle by eating at a slight surplus (which it seems like she's doing now since her weight is creeping up).

editing for missing a letter in Stronglifts

• Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    For awhile I thought "Im just gaining some muscle tone...my weight is just shifting from flabby to more fit"
    But several articles of clothing have just not fit recently
    I havent taken any pictures lately - and I used to do that to compare. That might give me a better idea
    In any case, I am feeling more weighed down and not as lean as before
  • Jess830409
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I take a very low dose of estrogen and progesterone - because it was literally like someone took me from 100 to 0 when I had my surgery.

I am definetely not new to the game. I own a food scale - I weigh everything - even the milk that goes in my coffee in the morning - and I log. Trust me, people at my work believe I am obsessive about it. And when I do splurge, it comes with a price. Sodium and I do not get along, and when I go above a certain amount it takes a long time just to get the water weight to go down.

If you don’t mind me saying, I notice that you don’t weigh some of the things in your diary. 20 cherries, 1/2cup almonds, 3tbsp popping corn, medium apple, 0.13cup cheese: maybe these things add up. It might help if you tried tightening up your logging for a few weeks to see what happens.

I see what you are saying - I use my food scale (actually have one at work and at home lol)
    And I weight things out in grams and ounces - but you are right - on the cherries, I do just count out my cherries - and almonds I do just count the almonds. Will make that tweek - thank you :-)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    time to tighten up your logging as you must be eating more than you think - we've all been there :/
  • Jess830409
    Options
    cavia wrote: »

And if it can't be compensated for by medicine, then the answer is that she just has to eat less. Which is exactly what I said.

If you're gaining weight on what you're eating now, and a doctor can't prescribe anything that alters that, what options do you think there are other than fewer net calories?

She could drop the cardio and get on a solid lifting program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women and try to add muscle by eating at a slight surplus (which it seems like she's doing now since her weight is creeping up).

This was something I was thinking of as well - I have taken down my running miles from 20 a week to 10-12 a week because I am not training for a long distance race right now...and I have been focusing more on strength training - but it seems to have not really budged anything. Maybe give it more time?? I dunno
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Hopefully a possible natural solution - maybe an herbal supplement, or a re working of the types of nutrients - I dunno - but extremly low calorie intake or medication can come with problems too
    But, again I am at a loss on my own - just very confused by it all
    That's not going to happen.

An herbal supplement isn't going to make you lose weight or fat in the face of a caloric surplus.

Changing the types of nutrients could have an effect on your overall health and results if your current allocation is sufficiently out of whack, but that change isn't going to make you lose weight or fat unless it involves a caloric deficit.

To be clear, I'm not saying your situation isn't frustrating, annoying, and possibly discouraging. I'm sure it is. Looking at your exercise regimen and accomplishments, you're obviously taking a serious approach. (And that's why I say fewer calories and not more exercise, because you're already doing a substantial amount, though whether you could increase it would be something to consider.) That said, you lose weight in a caloric deficit and you gain weight in a caloric surplus. If you're gaining weight over a sufficiently long period of time that it's not due to transient water retention, etc., then you're eating more than you're burning. However frustrating that might be.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I see what you are saying - I use my food scale (actually have one at work and at home lol)
    And I weight things out in grams and ounces - but you are right - on the cherries, I do just count out my cherries - and almonds I do just count the almonds. Will make that tweek - thank you :-)

Hey, I’ve done that too, and you could be in the ballpark, but the only way to know for sure is if you weigh absolutely everything. I weighed my mayo this morning, lol.

I would second the recommendation to do a structured strength training program if you aren’t already. It can help tremendously with the way our bodies look, and it takes the focus off the scale as well. I do Starting Strength and just love it, for example. It sounds like you’ve got the determination and great attitude to make this work, so don’t give up! :smile:
  • cavia
    Options

This was something I was thinking of as well - I have taken down my running miles from 20 a week to 10-12 a week because I am not training for a long distance race right now...and I have been focusing more on strength training - but it seems to have not really budged anything. Maybe give it more time?? I dunno

What strength training program are you on?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    OP please don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to eat less that's the worst thing you can do.

As others have suggested go to your dr and it may be worth them retesting hormone levels. From there I would look to a sports nutritionist as you may need to rehab your metabolism with a period of reverse dieting and then restarting on your goals at an appropriate deficit.

Metabolic crashes regardless of cause take time and patience to correct but it's worth it in the long run.
  • Jess830409
    Options

I go to a gym with a coach on Mon, Wed and Saturday and we do 1 hr sessions
    No set program, but it includes deadlifts, squats, lunges, pull ups, pushups, sleds, weighted ball slams, etc. All sessions include weighted exercises, and some of them are crossfit type classes.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Yes, she could try to add muscle. However, without also losing fat -- which is pretty unlikely in a surplus -- she's almost certainly not going to lose weight or inches. That doesn't mean she wouldn't still like her body better, but she's going to need to put on muscle at a faster rate than fat, for a long enough period of time, to drive her composition to a level she likes. Even then, she's not going to be fitting into those clothes she mentioned, but that may cease to be a concern if she likes the results.

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Please don't go the " eating less" route. It is the knee jerk reaction since that is how we are "taught" to think. Your energy balance can certainly be out of whack. From your description, you are very active. I'm betting your TDEE is over 2000 per day. Strength training with that running is tough to get the energy balance right. Having a higher weight on scale isn't meaningful in/of itself because of body composition changes that take place. As another poster inquired: what are yuur measurements telling you? Your clothes? Visual - do you have pics for comparison. Fat % is going to be a more meaningful gauge for you. Way more meaningful gauge. Eating less is not going to get you fat loss. You are already eating LESS if you are indeed eating 1300-1400 cals. You are ACTIVE. our bodies seek balance. I'm 51, menopausal, have lost 70+ lbs and many %s of fat. I maintain on 2200-2500 cals. Lose fat with dialing in training and eating at a slight deficit of 1900-2100 cals. I'm at stage that my scale weight is stable but I'm getting leaner and I'm doing it with a modest deficit and 3x week training schedule. I'm now a certified personal trainer & Precision Nutrition practioner so I write my own training programs. This was long (sorry) but I really wanted you to know that cutting cals isn't the route. You DO need to be sure of what you are truly Intaking. I say this because some folks who proclaim " clean eating" ( I hate that term ) believe it doesn't matter quantity as long as it is " clean".

good luck! I can lead you to some reading if interested. In fact - go read Staci's story @ NerdFitness .com. Thst story started me on my path.

Jen
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I used to run four miles daily during my lunch hour and held on to more fat than I do lifting. I've almost eliminated running/ cardio aside from warmup/ cool downs. You are on the right track looking into a nutritionist rather than just going off of what the gyno said. I can't encourage someone to eat less than 1300 calories. It doesn't seem like enough food.
  • cavia
    Options

No set program, but it includes deadlifts, squats, lunges, pull ups, pushups, sleds, weighted ball slams, etc. All sessions include weighted exercises, and some of them are crossfit type classes.

That's why nothing is budging.
  • SFCStank
    SFCStank Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your answer is in your photos you posted. You're gaining lean muscle. Frankly, you look fantastic!
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OP please don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to eat less that's the worst thing you can do.

As others have suggested go to your dr and it may be worth them retesting hormone levels. From there I would look to a sports nutritionist as you may need to rehab your metabolism with a period of reverse dieting and then restarting on your goals at an appropriate deficit.

Metabolic crashes regardless of cause take time and patience to correct but it's worth it in the long run.

Yes!!! Perfectly said
  • Jess830409
    Options

Im always worried about not eating enough versus eating too much. I am just very hazy as to where I need to be. As soon as I think I have it figured out it seems to change. I love being active - I enjoy my runs and I enough lifting.

I appreciate the advise. I am not by any means trying to blame a weight gain on hormones, I truly believe that it does play a part in what is going on with my metabolism and my body at this point.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    harlanJEN wrote: »
    As another poster inquired: what are yuur measurements telling you? Your clothes? Visual - do you have pics for comparison. Fat % is going to be a more meaningful gauge for you. Way more meaningful gauge.
    She wrote, "But do I want to fit back into some clothes I cant wear anymore - yes!" so it sounds like her clothes are telling her she's gained too much to fit into them.
  • Jess830409
    Options

That's why nothing is budging.

Elaborate please - interested in why