Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

50+ Women

Grammymax
Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
edited September 19 in Motivation and Support
Hey there,
I posted yesterday asking for women over 50 who might want to join a group to support and encourage each other. If that's for you then I'll list this each day - if I don't someone else can start it.

We could start by just listing some goals so that we can be kept accountable. Here are mine.
Lose 5 # by January 12th (that will be 2 weeks from when I started journaling again)
Exercise in some form every day.

I already feel better just by keeping away from the garbage food and I need to be reminded of that so this thread might help me to focus on how I feel and not only on how much weight I'm losing.

Thanks for your input. Have a great day and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Replies

• Grammymax
    Hey there,
    I posted yesterday asking for women over 50 who might want to join a group to support and encourage each other. If that's for you then I'll list this each day - if I don't someone else can start it.

We could start by just listing some goals so that we can be kept accountable. Here are mine.
    Lose 5 # by January 12th (that will be 2 weeks from when I started journaling again)
    Exercise in some form every day.

I already feel better just by keeping away from the garbage food and I need to be reminded of that so this thread might help me to focus on how I feel and not only on how much weight I'm losing.

Thanks for your input. Have a great day and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    :tongue: I replied yesterday. My goal for this year is to do more cardio. I haven't lost hardly anything since I started here in Nov. Hopefully after the new year, it will get better. I exercise a lot, but I guess I'm not eating all my exercise calories. I don't know for sure; so, I will be trying new things in the new year. P
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Hi! I'm all for this group! :smile: I def. need some accountability. Hoping to lose 50 pounds by June. Taking a second anniversary trip and want to look good! Went up over Christmas and have dropped 4 pounds of that, but need to get off the other 8 :grumble: I put on between Halloween and Christmas-Ha! :laugh: So 46 more to go!
  • Grammymax
    schoonmp - Are you drinking enough water? I know that helps also.
    minerva - Good job! You're doing well. Keep focused!
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Yes, I drink tons of water. More than the 8 cups a day, usually.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Hi-
    This sounds great, especially since there don't seem to be too many members over 50. I would love to hear more about all of you.
    I'm 54, married 30 years andhave 3 grown boys, ages 20 - 24. The older two are out of college and living on their own. My youngest is in college and is still home on vacation. I am on a perepetual vacation - still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.
    My goal here so far is very simple - I would like to lose a pound a week and live a little healthier (ie eating better and exercising a little more regularly). I'm still a little distracted by the holidays etc and need to get myself a little more organized before attempting this new, healthier approach. So, in the meantime, my goal for this week will be to lose a pound.
    Zaza
  • zaza54
    bump
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    I'll join you guys....... I'm 57, and I try to exercise daily. I am currently doing the P90X program. Last week I added cardio to my program - I've toned up but now want to get rid of a few pounds. You have to do some resistance training and cardio. Start small - 5lbs and build up. I'm up to 8lbs and its starting to show. My arms aren't as flabby and I'm getting my shape back. Also, eat right and get enough sleep. Sleep is my biggest problem - normally only getting 5 hours per night.....

Good Luck and I'll "see you here"...........

Granny Carol
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    I'd love to be in this group. I am 52 and need to focus on me for awhile to get happy, heallthy and fit. I have two children and a 17 month old grandaughter. Our daughter is 32 and our son is 26. My goals include :
    1.loosing 51 lbs. by July 1. I am going home to Fla. for 2 weeks.
    2. getting off my diabetes, chol. and high blood pressure meds (very soon)
    3. letting myself be a happy person.

I am 5'7 and weigh (for now221)
    :blushing:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Hi all. I'm 55 and my one year anniversary on MFP is the 8th of this month. Last year I lost 30 pounds on MFP. This year I decided to start all over again. My goal is to lose at least 9 more pounds. That'll put me at a healthy 140. When I get there, I'll decide if I want to lose any more or just maintain. Good luck to everyone. :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Hi I would love to join this great club you have started. There doesn't seem to be too many of us in the over 50 club so I say those of us that are need to band together for some extra support.

I am 51 years young, married and have two children. I found this great site just this past November and there has been no turning back. I was on a roll with my weight loss, however for the past 2 1/2 weeks the scale and the tape measure have been stuck. I am not giving up though because I am deterrmined to win this battle!!!

I am here for anyone that wants to chat.
  • zaza54
    Sounds like a great group. I'm rushing - need to do a million errands before making and bringing care packages into NYC to my sons and nephew. Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to comparing notes and getting some great tips, especially exercise. Have a great week-end.
    Zaza
  • Booksarenice
    Huh- just weighed myself, couldn't resisit. The scale is saying I've lost 3.5 lbs. This is only day 6 so I know it is mostly water loss but I'll still take it. Good for the mental state to see the numbers dropping regardless of the cause. Be back later ladies.

116027.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • FloridaGranny
    Did "Legs & Back" today; burned 300 calories. Did "Ab Ripper X" and burned 67 calories. Workout time: 1 hour, 16 minutes.

A good Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap helps you keep track of your calories burned. Add your calories burned to your daily calorie intake & that tells you how many calories you need to eat for the day......

Also did the initial test for "hundred pushups". Will start Week 1 tomorrow. You can go online at www. hundredpushups.com and get the challenge.

Hope this helps!
  • Count me in! I'm 52 and just started December 26th. So far the scale is telling me I've lost 3 pounds. I've given up meats, sugar and milk. Am striving for 5 which is a challenge for me because I'm having to train my taste buds to like vegetables. I've just gotten back into exercising and am walking or doing Walk at Home DVD between 20-30 minutes a day at least 5 days a week.

Would love to have a group like this where we can support each other :flowerforyou:
  • Well now I'm over 50 :happy: I'm 61 will be 62 in June. I'm out walking and trying to see how much I can loose in a week. Even if it is just one pound that will make me happy. I have an annversary June 1st. Only been married 12 years to the most wonderful man in the world . Well my world:happy: I would like to get into that little black dress that I have never owned. But sure want to so that is my goal. I have been a yo yo dieter for ever and I want to get off that roller coaster and be healthy and happy for a change. So I'm with you :wink: Will check in later I have to go walk now. Have a great day all of you :wink:
  • Booksarenice
    :glasses: Floridagranny- what part of Fla are you? I grew up in Ket West and Pensacola.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    I would like to join your 50+ Motivation group. I am a 59 1/2 grandmother of 5. I was diagnosed wih high blood pressure about five years ago so I try to exercise almost every day to keep it under control. I weighed about 20 lbs more than I do now at the time. I also found out I have oseopeonia and osteoporosis in my spine last June. This also motivates me to keep doing weights and cardio hoping I will see some improvement when I get my next bone scan. Last year my weight stayed the same most of the year although I have continued to make my workouts harder. I worked out with a personal trainer two times a week for about four months. When I completed that I added a super hard full body workout two days a week and continued to do spinning and weights on the other days. I usually don't miss my workouts although with the bad weather we had in December I missed some days. What I haven't done for a long time is track my food. I try to be careful but definitely had too much of the sweets over the holidays. I would like to just see my weight go down even if it is only 5 lbs this month!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Hi all!! Replied to first post last week. I celebrated my 1st anniversary with MFP in September and has worked wonders for me - or maybe I was just ready. Have lost ( and kept off!) 39 pounds since I started in September '07. I am really thrilled to have made it through my 2nd holiday season without gaining anything. I hit my goal several months ago and have found that what works for me is lots of exercise (cardio and strength training). That way I can eat pretty much whatever I want ( in moderation, of course). I love food too much so I have to work it off. I have been very lucky in that I have been able to work out fairly strenuously without injury (knock on wood). Today is workout day off. Ran 5+ miles yesterday and tomorrow will hit the gym.
    Have a great day everyone!!
  • FloridaGranny
    I'm in Estero - it's just north of Bonita Springs.............

I've been down here for 10 years. Orig. from Indiana.

I love it here and don't plan on leaving!!!
This discussion has been closed.