What People Say Food Tastes Like v. Reality

Options

Replies

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off topic because it has to do with smell rather than taste.

If the taste does not fall under the:
    salty
    spicy
    sweet
    sour
    umami

category, then it is a smell/odor/aromatic compound.

For example: freshly picked ripe strawberries "taste" sweet and a bit tangy (sourness). The rest of the descriptors are aromatic compounds. The lighter ones (lower molecular weight) are described as fragrances and the heavier ones are described as flavors.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    laur7311 wrote: »
    The hate on cilantro baffles me. I don't really mind the taste or the smell. It just tastes like.. cilantro to me. Nothing too special nothing too nasty. I can't find that "soapy" or, like one of my friends described it, "buggy" flavor.

Wikipedia cites some studies suggesting it's a genetic thing - genes controlling the ability to smell two different kinds of chemicals in cilantro, one of which is generally perceived as pleasantly aromatic and one which is generally perceived as unpleasant, as well as genes for tasting bitterness. It seems odd that it there should be so many different receptors involved and yet everyone talks about it as though there are only two types of people when it comes to cilantro. I mean, if it were one gene, or group of genes all affecting the ability to smell or taste a single family of esters or flavinoids or whatever is involved, it would make sense that there are only two kinds of people, depending on whether you were sensitive or not to the particular chemical involved. But with what sounds like three different things you can be sensing or not, you would think there would be more variation in how people respond to cilantro.

I have also heard that the same gene/compound that makes people so polarized about cilantro is in cantaloupe. So if you don't like one, you will not like the other. I hate cantaloupe, but LOVE <3 LOVE <3 LOVE cilantro. Now that baffles me.

And I always liked cantaloupe, and started out hating cilantro (because who likes to eat soap?) and have managed to become more or less neutral on cilantro. Nothing soapy about cantaloupe.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For some reason the realization that some people eat potatoes raw freaks me out, but I bet the test would work with kohlrabi.

Or jicama.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Basil is not sweet. Yuck.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    woodybush wrote: »
    I always think that Parma Violets taste like perfume... Gross!

Snap!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    My father and I took a trip to the Asian Market last night and picked up a pint of Red Bean ice cream since neither of us have tried Red Bean before and it looked interesting. I found a review online describing the flavor of red bean ice cream as "something between vanilla, cream, strawberries, and cotton candy." Excited to try it, I dished out a nice big bowl of it for myself this morning (aren't I healthy?). After taking my first spoonful, I gagged. That stuff was horrible! It tasted like they took Refried Beans and tried to make it into an ice cream flavor!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Like cantaloupe.
    Desserts are too rich if they are too sweet or too fat. But load all the chocolate you want on that baby.

Saying something is too sweet or too fat is descriptive. Saying something is too rich is a puzzle as to what the person means.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    celery is another one with weird reactions- but apparently there is a scientific explanation for this. (I think the cilatnro people fall into this group as well - or the over lap is strong)

I'm fortunate I like celary- and cilantro.

Bananna peppers- can't stand. I don't know what people say it tastes like_ i cant' stand it- even if the tiniest bit of oil gets on my food- it's effing ruined. I'll give it away- cant/stand/it/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti squash tastes like pasta - it tastes like squash

Mashed cauliflower tastes like mashed potatoes - it tastes like mashed cauliflower
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    For some reason the realization that some people eat potatoes raw freaks me out, but I bet the test would work with kohlrabi.

Or jicama.

I've only ever had jicama raw. Do you people cook it?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people say about olives. I've never had one and believe they will taste slimy.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "Celery tastes like the love child of iceberg lettuce and green bell peppers."

No. I like iceberg lettuce. I like green peppers. Celery tastes like neither.

I have tried eating it raw, dipping it in PB/hummus/salsa/etc, sprinkling it with pepper/salt, boiling it, roasting it, grilling it, sauteeing it, adding it in stews/soups, adding it in heavy meat dishes, adding it to smoothies, etc. It doesn't matter. It completely overpowers everything and makes it gross.

Celery is:

6L4KS95.jpg?1VuT2oIl.png?1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

::laugh:: OMG this made me laugh. Who says that?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    celery is another one with weird reactions- but apparently there is a scientific explanation for this. (I think the cilatnro people fall into this group as well - or the over lap is strong)

I'm fortunate I like celary- and cilantro.

Bananna peppers- can't stand. I don't know what people say it tastes like_ i cant' stand it- even if the tiniest bit of oil gets on my food- it's effing ruined. I'll give it away- cant/stand/it/

I hate cilantro, but like celery. My husband loves cilantro and likes celery (but hates cucumbers).

Or jicama.

No, I've never seen it in a recipe that calls for it to be cooked and I've only ever eaten it raw, usually as part of a vegetable and dip platter. It has almost no flavor but a great texture.

No. I like iceberg lettuce. I like green peppers. Celery tastes like neither.

I have tried eating it raw, dipping it in PB/hummus/salsa/etc, sprinkling it with pepper/salt, boiling it, roasting it, grilling it, sauteeing it, adding it in stews/soups, adding it in heavy meat dishes, adding it to smoothies, etc. It doesn't matter. It completely overpowers everything and makes it gross.

Celery is:

6L4KS95.jpg?1VuT2oIl.png?1

The pictures made me LOL. If that were true I wouldn't like celery because I like it but hate bell peppers which taste like dirt to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Or jicama.

I like it raw in a salad or just to munch on, but also like it cooked--either as a stir fry or roasted.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Classic "in need of palate development" thread.

Some of these are true, however it is usually the fault of the cook or an allergy/medical condition. I don't hate any food.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Some of these are true, however it is usually the fault of the cook or an allergy/medical condition. I don't hate any food.

Lucky you. There are so many things that I wish I could like. Fish, for example. I've tried eating it in various ways (both home-cooked and in restaurants) but I just can't get over the texture/taste/smell. Canned tuna is the only thing that doesn't make me sick, and even then I slather it in mayo.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Do you like balut?
    balot-4.jpg?w=650&h=417