Where are my fellow anti-running people?

Options

Replies

• get_rucked
    get_rucked Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate running - if I do cardio I bike - I would happily chose to cycle 100k over a 10k run.

I've tried to get into it and have done a few token 5k and 10ks but an accident a year or so ago left me with pins in one leg and running/high impact stuff is pretty uncomfortable for me (I pretend that this upsets me but I am secretly delighted!).
  • AlecB62
    AlecB62 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to run, I keep getting colleagues trying to get me to join them on a run at lunchtime.

I like elliptical, stationary bike or a fast uphill walk on the treadmill if I'm in the gym.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I tell my BFF the only way I'll run any sort of race is if there is a killer clown behind me and the promise of booze at the end.

This is called hashing, there are clubs all over the world, in just about every major city. Look up your local 'kennel' and thank me later. There won't be any killer clowns, there will be booze and good folk.
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Context can play a role, as well as individual preferences. I love swimming in the sea but I've never liked swimming in pools. I really enjoy rowing when I'm in a boat but I hate the rowing machine with a passion. On the other hand I love cycling both outdoors and on a stationary bike.
    As for running, I think I'm just too much of a natural sluggard to enjoy it. But that's ok, I get my exercise from walking and cycling and so far so good, steady weight loss and no injuries.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of running at all. Although I did transition from fast walking to a short run, it's not for me.

I have long, strong legs and a lot of stamina and endurance. I can run, but I don't care for the bouncing and the impact. Plus I know so many people that gets shin splints or hurt/injured from running.

In fact I do no high impact workouts at all and still have been able to get into the best shape of my life and improve my cardiovascular fitness tremendously (used to have a poor resting heart rate, now it's at the fitness level!)

I love the results I've gotten from speed walking and lifting. When I walk I go fast and I go many miles daily.

Speed walking energizes me, it doesn't hurt and there's no impact, but I still get my heart rate high. If it's not broke, I'm not going to fix it. :)

• lakelochness
    lakelochness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Running can go die.

I love the rowing machine, and I love yoga (even though I know that's technically not cardio but I do it to break a sweat).
  • lakelochness
    Options
    I had to LOL at the Nike+ fitness app... when you go to create a program it's like 'why not add running to speed up your weight loss?' - bearing in mind I picked a beginner program - first day it tells me to run 5 miles. AYE OK HANG ON I'LL JUST GO NOT DO THAT.
  • lakelochness
    Options
    I lost most of my weight with one hour of cardio per week and four hours of lifting. Good stuff.

Hey Lyndsey - do you have a specific lifting programme that you do?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well I am will be the deal breaker here.... I love my Elliptical Sole and I love running... I also lift weights and heavy...
    can't wait for the I hate lifting thread...

Maybe one day when I can't walk anymore, I will say "running can die"... At least I can out run the clown, or a person chasing me down the street which does not happen very often btw...
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    or8qthkg9v3o.jpg

This is me!
  • priscillabecho
    priscillabecho Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do high-inclined walks on the treadmill. Lvl 15 @ 3 . If its a little too fast, slow it down, but dont change the incline. With this, You wont lose your butt as opposed to running long ,non-inclined distances. I feel that running too much makes your butt smaller and flatter :/
    plus you get some awesome calves out of it, and it will also train your legs AND you burn twice as much calories. Stairmaster is also a good one!
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's sure nice to see so many running people in here expressing their joy they have more space due to us anti-running people! I'm glad to be of service!

GWehsling - I will look into hashing. Maybe that will be something fun (or social).

I decided one more thing can get me to run. Dinosaurs. The ones that see you, period. Not the ones that see movement.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Haha I saw a girl at the gym this morning with an "I HATE RUNNING" shirt on!
    I'm also not a fan. I do the elliptical. Running kills my knees and gives me shin splints. But lately I've been getting real bored with the elliptical too, so who knows? Maybe I'll try jogging again at some point.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    it's running out of breath. People tell me I'm breathing wrong, yada yada, but regardless, I HATE that feeling. Walking is just fine.

This used to be my issue with running. Then one day, it seemed I magically learned how to breathe and I was so excited. "OMG I'M RUNNING!" I thought. Then my ankles popped and the good times were over.
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of running, for several reasons!!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I hated running most of my life, then I was converted and loooooved it, then I hated it again when I messed up my foot (which is still messed up).

Alternate cardio I have done (in the past or now): rowing (erging), stationary cycling, elliptical, walking, dancing, metabolic circuit workouts. Way back in the past I did kickboxing and that was amazing.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Me! Me! Me! Not only do I hate to run but since I destroyed my ankle a couple years ago, I really just can't run. It gives out and I fall down so I walk and I also LOVE the elliptical, it's so much better for my joints than running.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I HATE running, but I love how much weight I have lost since I started. I guess I can put up with running until I can find something else that will give me just as high of a calorie burn in a short amount of time.
  • fitandfunchar
    fitandfunchar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hate the before running, the during running when I have to breathe through my side stitch, the feeling that I'm running so slowly I'm walking..but the after? it's like snorting cocaine (ive never done it!!). if i run with a headache its gone at the end. i always sync my favorite song with a loud, crashing end right when i finish. its crazy how good it feels -- ive almost cried!
    but i still cant lie and say i like running. i havent even gone for my run today lol
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I always have, even when I was younger and an athlete. In high school PE we had to run a mile twice a week in class and I dreaded those days, even though I was in really good shape.

I also dislike cardio machines. I can put up with them for a bit if I have a good audio book or podcast to listen to. Oh but stair machines can go to he**.

I've discovered that I love biking in the last year though. I like being outside, especially trails through the woods. I love that my daughters can come along with me. It's just fun. I can push myself if I like or take it easy and chat with my husband and kids.