James Duncan Diet 1 stone 1 week

Options
Hi all,

I have heard about this james duncan diet and I wondered if anyone had tried it?

Apparently its a chemical diet and so the meal plan must be followed to a tee which is fine.

I have been eating clean for over a month now and haven't had any success and I have an event in a couple of weeks which I would ideally like to slim down for.

I havent done any diet like this before but I am more than aware that its possible some of the weight may wriggle its way back on after and I after reading reviews its likely to just be water weight so no lectures on fad dieting please!

I am just looking into something to kickstart my loss because despite doing the 30day shred for 20 days non stop and eating well Im not seeing any results and its frustrating!

So in short;

Have you done this diet and what results did you get?

Did the weight stay off?

Did you exercise whilst doing it?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I googled it to see what it was and it's a crap diet that's been handed around for YEARS, decades even. My mother has done this or some variation of this a million times and no, she never kept the weight off. There is nothing magic about those foods even in those combinations. It looks to be very low calorie, which is why you would lose weight on it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have heard about this james duncan diet and I wondered if anyone had tried it?

Apparently its a chemical diet and so the meal plan must be followed to a tee which is fine.

I have been eating clean for over a month now and haven't had any success and I have an event in a couple of weeks which I would ideally like to slim down for.

I havent done any diet like this before but I am more than aware that its possible some of the weight may wriggle its way back on after and I after reading reviews its likely to just be water weight so no lectures on fad dieting please!

I am just looking into something to kickstart my loss because despite doing the 30day shred for 20 days non stop and eating well Im not seeing any results and its frustrating!

So in short;

Have you done this diet and what results did you get?

Did the weight stay off?

Did you exercise whilst doing it?

Thanks guys!

Are you logging accurately? If you're exercising, are you overestimating the amount burned?

Define what "eating clean" is for you?

Also, it would help if you would open up your diary.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I had to Google it, too. Looks like a variation of the "Military Diet", which is rubbish, too. It's VLCD, with the claim of working "chemically" (srs, what the heck does that mean?) and must be followed exactly. It's dumb, because 14lbs in one week is NOT real weight loss, since the goal is to lose fat, right? 14lb of true weight loss is roughly 7,000 calorie per DAY deficit--IMPOSSIBLE.

You'll probably lose a lot of water weight (because very low calorie, low carbs, low EVERYTHING) and some muscle, and maybe a pound of fat (maybe? IDK, not doing math today). You can lose 1lb of fat (approx.) a week by just creating a 500 calorie a day deficit. Nice and moderate, sustainable, and healthy. Oh, and no crazy, hangry emotions from eating less food than a preschooler needs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    FAD. Don't fall for it. The catch is in "you have to follow it to a tee or it won't work".
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Even at my fattest, when I was losing so quickly, I didn't lose a stone in a week.

I would go a week without food and do my gardening naked if I thought I could, but I don't see it happening. No way.

I think when people say they want to kick-start their weight loss, they mean they want to see some good results fats and are willing to work hard for them.

The working hard is good, but you need to do it for a long, long time. You need patience because the results are SLOW.

If you cannot be patient and are not committed to do hard work, every day, even though you do to get much for it on any day (and some days get nothing or have to see the scale go up!), don't bother dieting right now. Wait until you're ready.

A stone a week would be a really rare thing.
  • mscooper307
    Options
    Tried it last year - it's under 500 calories a day. It works - but i lost a stone in four days and I wasn't that big to start with. Avoid it like the plague - you'll put the weight you've lost back on automatically as you train your body to expect less food so when you begin eating again it stores lots as fat and not as muscle. For me it literally felt like the weight was being dragged off me - I felt lethargic and moody! Also, you'll get so sick of grapefruit you'll never want to see one again!
  • universalradio
    universalradio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have *actually* done this diet. I followed it to a T and I lost 5 pounds. I had worked over the previous weeks to get rid of water weight that I was holding and lost ten pounds of water weight-- I believe that if I had started dieting with his diet, I absolutely would have lost a total of 15 from it. It's a great diet, well balanced, but very very hard to follow. I ate between 500-800 each day; there was one day that was about 1000 calories I believe.

It's not "bull****"; it's actually quite sound. I'd say people that don't think it works haven't actually followed it or are consuming extra calories and not logging or forgetting about them.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have *actually* done this diet. I followed it to a T and I lost 5 pounds. I had worked over the previous weeks to get rid of water weight that I was holding and lost ten pounds of water weight-- I believe that if I had started dieting with his diet, I absolutely would have lost a total of 15 from it. It's a great diet, well balanced, but very very hard to follow. I ate between 500-800 each day; there was one day that was about 1000 calories I believe.

It's not "bull****"; it's actually quite sound. I'd say people that don't think it works haven't actually followed it or are consuming extra calories and not logging or forgetting about them.

It is not "sound." You could eat 500-800 calories a day of ANYTHING and lose the same amount of weight.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad idea, what's the rush? I know you have a thing that you want to slim down for but its likely that a large amount of the 1 stone you lose will be water weight. IMHO weightloss is best done slowly and healthily if you want to maintain and not pile it all back on again.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's "sound" if you believe a stavation diet is "sound". 500-800 calories a day of anything will have you dropping weight. Eat 500-800 calories a day of marshmallows, if that floats your boat. But don't go preaching that a VLCD is "sound". You drop weight fast because you're eating stuff all.
  • jonnysharpe
    jonnysharpe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing this diet right now too. It's fine, not even starvation at all. 3 meals a day, although just selected foods. I've lost 5.29 pounds (2.4kg) after 3 days, so on target for 1 stone by the end of the week.
    Amazing that people can comment who haven't actually tried it. The point for me is to get to my ideal weight and then manage it better from there. Of course you can put the weight right back on if you don't manage it properly.
    And the 'rush' for me is that I don't want to diet for months on end. I want the weight off to use as a baseline for overall healthier eating.
    Prior to this I was fixed at 83kg, fluctuating by about 1kg. And I run once or twice a week and also ride my bike. I only do exercise so I can eat what I want, however, despite that I was still slightly overweight, according to the BMI guide.
    So, there we go. I'll let you know the end result. I do recommend this. There are 4 of us doing it, all shapes and sizes. One of my friends lost 7 pounds after 3 days.
    I have been a bit hungry, slightly impatient, but also really clear-headed after day 2, so no ill-effects.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Prior to this I was fixed at 83kg, fluctuating by about 1kg. And I run once or twice a week and also ride my bike. I only do exercise so I can eat what I want, however, despite that I was still slightly overweight, according to the BMI guide.

See here is your problem, just because you were running once or twice a week and also riding your bike it doesn't mean you can eat what you want.
    You need to eat at a deficit. If you burn 1k calories exercising and eat back 1.2k calories you won't lose weight.
    Starvation diets a stupid fad diets and no doubt in the month after you have "lost" the weight you will have put it all back on. You will have zero idea about portion control or how to eat at maintenance or at a slight deficit.
    You'll go back to exercising and eating what you like and then the weight will come straight back.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    IF you are very fat, you can easily "lose" 3lbs of food from your stomach and another 8lbs of water weight on a diet like this. Follow the food recommendations to a T, and you can lose in 7 days perhaps 7lbs if you are VERY fat and 2-3lbs if you are merely normal to overweight.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    don't treat it as a long term plan but if you really feel the need to lose for that one off event then go for it. I expect any low cal (not very low cal) and very low carb diet will work short term though you may feel pretty tired while doing it. Just make sure that you revert to something more sustainable after the event. Water loss is still a loss in terms of body silhouette after all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lose 14lbs in a week

LOL

looks again

LOL

ridiculous things are ridiculous

here's a clue - it will be water weight .. perhaps a couple of lbs of fat if you're lucky and some LBM loss

• Sued0nim
    Options
    I am actually doing this diet right now too. It's fine, not even starvation at all. 3 meals a day, although just selected foods. I've lost 5.29 pounds (2.4kg) after 3 days, so on target for 1 stone by the end of the week.
    Amazing that people can comment who haven't actually tried it. The point for me is to get to my ideal weight and then manage it better from there. Of course you can put the weight right back on if you don't manage it properly.
    And the 'rush' for me is that I don't want to diet for months on end. I want the weight off to use as a baseline for overall healthier eating.
    So, there we go. I'll let you know the end result. I do recommend this. There are 4 of us doing it, all shapes and sizes. One of my friends lost 7 pounds after 3 days.
    I have been a bit hungry, slightly impatient, but also really clear-headed after day 2, so no ill-effects.

as soon as you stop you will put the water weight back on as your body replenishes it's glycogen stores and waste accumulates in your body

and you would have lost more LBM than you would have needed to by following a starvation diet for, admittedly, a short time as you're in a catabolic state .. your body still needs to function so it gets it from the closest source

so when you stop you'll put the weight back on (most of it) and be in a worse state (body composition wise) than when you started

This is why people comment who haven't actually tried it .. because it is a bad, bad idea ... a manipulation of water weight and clearing your digestive system and leaves you worse off than before

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Have you tried giving CICO a go?

Why do people come here if they're going to try The X Diet instead of counting their calorie intake?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Because all diets are a way to achieve CICO

now whether or not those diet plans are sensibly constructed to meet nutritional needs is a matter for discussion

and we all need to start our learning process somewhere .. as long as they come on with an open mind and don't feel that negative responses are an attack as opposed to the constructive criticism they are meant to be (perhaps poorly phrased at times because of the constant need for repetition)

*pollyanna*
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes, I may have sounded a bit brusque. Thanks, Pollyanna. :)
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Sorry, yes, I may have sounded a bit brusque. Thanks, Pollyanna. :)

LOL .. I've had lots of caffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne