I hate being like this

Options

Replies

• jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    deasphodel wrote: »
    You need to give yourself a break.

Maybe you should start with a higher calorie allowance and bring it down over a few weeks or so. If you start eating slightly less you may find that you don't feel as hungry and then it can be an even smaller amount.

THIS!

• chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    When I first started counting calories what I focused on was the amount and quality of protein I was getting, this way I wasn't feeling hungry all the time.

After a few weeks of solid logging you'll have most of the food you eat in your recent foods and it will be easier to pre-plan your meals then you can fit in snacks if you have extra calories or workout calories.

Like others have said though, this is a life change, and it takes time. You will make mistakes and have bad days and maybe weeks without loss (I'm going on 3 weeks with no loss) but with time you'll realize that as long as you keep trying to be more active, trying to be conscience about what you put in your mouth the number on the scale will go down.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I hate being over weight. i hate my body, i hate what i eat. but why cant i change it? why cant i not have that kitkat, why cant i leave the chocolate raisins alone? why cant i resist the cakes my dad brings home? i hate myself after eating it.

and i know i can eat these things as long as they fit into my calorie goals, but they never do fit, its hard enough planning 3 meals that fit, let alone room for snacks.

and i dont want to eat them any way. i eat too much sugar, it makes me lathargic, im constantly tired and just lazy and unmotivated to go to the gym. i dont want to drink the coke but i cant seem to stop. i dont want to live my life like this.

Oh my, listen to the message you are feeding yourself. I put them all in bold for you.

I challenge you to get rid of that negativity by changing the messages you feed yourself. At the same time, use weight loss tools that work: weighing and logging food, using moderation in all foods, and staying within your calorie goals. Take proactive steps to make sure you are satisfied while dieting by not giving up anything.

You have power over food, it does not have power over you. :)
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    kaymae226 wrote: »
    I wish there were like buttons on these boards... soo many good responses.... Hope the OP comes back with her stats... 1200 is wayyy too low and I do think she needs some counseling... first requirement to weight loss is to love yourself enough to give yourself the very best... and junk food isn't it.

For weight loss it's Calories intake being less than calories burn. It does not matter what type of foods you eat. It's how much food you eat.

Assuming no medical issues are in play.

I think she was talking to the emotional part of weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Fitfornowt wrote: »
    Fill the fridge with fruit; ditch the sugary snacks.
    If you work from home, fit in as many quick walks as you can.......who will know you stepped out for 15 mins to walk a mile??
    If you walk more, you will have more calories to fit in those snacks (if you still want them!)
    Good luck x

Fruit is sugar and has plenty of calories. I know, I eat a lot of fruit. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    first, work on the way you speak to yourself. be kind to yourself. you are only human
    snacking is fine if it fits in your calories.
    going over calories I found was because I was not eating foods that kept me full like fiber and protein.
    keep it simple. move more-even 15 min walks, dancing, rock climbing and other fun activities.
    log what you eat. it helps me make better decisions about eating. bowl of ice cream or a bunch of fruit with a little bit of whip cream.

no food is bad, no food is really good. food is just food. some keep us full longer, some taste better than others. "junk" food I just not very filling for the amount of calories it is usually. but if it fits in your calories, go for it. I usually wait till the end of the day for that sort of thing, just to make sure I don't go over my calories
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    I wish there were like buttons on these boards... soo many good responses.... Hope the OP comes back with her stats... 1200 is wayyy too low and I do think she needs some counseling... first requirement to weight loss is to love yourself enough to give yourself the very best... and junk food isn't it.

For weight loss it's Calories intake being less than calories burn. It does not matter what type of foods you eat. It's how much food you eat.

even so. I am sure if OP see the scale drop her emotional state would get better.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

Yes, but that is the practical solution which if executed properly will supersede the emotional worries.
  • UrnAsh_84
    UrnAsh_84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel ya.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

even so. I am sure if OP see the scale drop her emotional state would get better.

Her emotional state may improve but if she really is having a lot of emotional distress in her life, what is she gonna do when the scale doesnt move for a couple weeks? what if it goes up? she needs to find a more stable emotional balance, finding someone to talk to will help that and her dr is the best first step.

She will hear MFP say weight loss is not linear.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to make small changes each week or couple of weeks. Like give up one thing such as only having one piece of candy a day. then I start changing my diet here and there. jumping in all at once can be over welming.
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you are still holding out for the cure all magic diet that is gonna give you everything you want but still allow you to eat the same way, live the same way and excersize the same old habits that got you to this point of self hatred in the first place.

until you are ready to realize that you are going to have to put the effort into what you want, you are going to live in this same cycle. I am sorry, my posts are very blunt but it needs to be said.

You need to go see your doctor.
    It doesn't matter what the actual issue is or if you believe or don't believe anything is truly wrong
    you need to tell them how you feel so they can help set you up with anything that may help you.

But i still stand by my first post which is, you are not ready.
    I was a binge eater
    I am an insulin dependent diabetic
    I am a picky eater and a carb and meat lover
    I can count on one hand how many veggies i like.

But in the end, you have to do what you have to do.
    fairy godmothers don't exist.

Gurl preach!

A year ago I was obese. I hated how I looked in pictures, I hated how I looked in the mirror. Yet everyday during lunch I'd run out for pizza or fast food and eat way too much. I'd finish a bag of chocolates before bed every night. It made me feel terrible yet I didn't stop. My food habits felt uncontrollable. But they weren't. I needed to evaluate my own choices and take responsibility.

Stop telling yourself that you can't change. You need to commit to yourself and what you want your health/body to be.

You know that you can eat anything as long as it fits in your goals, so you have two options: cut those foods out or learn moderation. Figure out what a proper portion is and stick to it. It's okay to not like veggies, but here's the thing: they're filling and they're good for you. Your taste palette may be skewed by salt and processed foods, I really recommend giving them a chance.

Lastly, talk to a medical professional about your mental and physical needs. Good luck, you can do this.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    first, work on the way you speak to yourself. be kind to yourself. you are only human
    going over calories I found was because I was not eating foods that kept me full like fiber and protein.
    keep it simple. move more-even 15 min walks, dancing, rock climbing and other fun activities.
    log what you eat. it helps me make better decisions about eating. bowl of ice cream or a bunch of fruit with a little bit of whip cream.

no food is bad, no food is really good. food is just food. some keep us full longer, some taste better than others. "junk" food I just not very filling for the amount of calories it is usually. but if it fits in your calories, go for it. I usually wait till the end of the day for that sort of thing, just to make sure I don't go over my calories

I think the issue is that OP might not have a handle on getting the filling foods in yet. I would prioritize that for now, personally
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options

Her emotional state may improve but if she really is having a lot of emotional distress in her life, what is she gonna do when the scale doesnt move for a couple weeks? what if it goes up? she needs to find a more stable emotional balance, finding someone to talk to will help that and her dr is the best first step.

She will hear MFP say weight loss is not linear.

MFP is also telling her a lot of stuff now.
    Failure on a mind that isn't strong enough to handle it makes it really hard to take good advice like that.
    she may be reading every comment here and still not believe any of it.
    only she will know this and her doctor.

So that makes it who's fault then. Our for giving OP good advice or OP for not believing good advice?

There are posters in the MFP forums who are the latter. You can guess what happens with from there.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I think the issue is that OP might not have a handle on getting the filling foods in yet. I would prioritize that for now, personally

that and learn to talk to herself kindly
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am just saying that sometimes good advice just isnt enough, she hates herself right now, and yes, success with the scale may bring her above those dark waters but its not gonna be enough to stop her from going back down if the scale goes up or stays the same, good advice to someone who really hates themselves, no matter how much they are told, just sometimes cant penetrate through that dark cloud on ones mind, its why i keep advocating to speak to someone

Yes, this what I was thinking, too.

I've been in this same dark pit, and trying to fake the positive self talk feels ridiculous. I ended up getting treatment for depression...counseling and medication. It was well worth it.

In the meanwhile, I suggest OP sets herself up to succeed at one simple thing, just to prove to herself that she can. For example, just for today I'm going to go for a short walk after dinner.