I owe it all to my dog

Options
the best way I manage to exercise, is by walking my dog. When I'm focused on her getting enough exercise, it doesn't feel like such a hard task as focusing on getting enough myself.

Replies

• savcannard
    savcannard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What unique motivation do you have? And do you think pets help you?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I owe it all to me... I'm the one that took control of my life, finally... but I do owe a debt of gratitude to my constant and uncomplaining running partner Kady - more formally, Kady The Wonder Dog. She's run with me on almost every single kilometer of the 1,105 km since I started last fall. Good dog! :smiley:

IMG_20150610_155011.jpg
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here's to dogs!

Ace is too distracted to run with me, but we both sprint for about a block when she remembers the last place she saw a squirrel. :)

We do about 10K steps/day together.

dpt3ksriw9wn.jpg
    ace2.jpg 301.3K
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Kady likes to come with me because of the squirrel potential in the forest. They've kinda clued in that they shouldn't hang out near our home! She even teachers other dogs to become squirrel addicted. True story!
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    1uhec41isujx.jpg
    Pinto depends on his daily walk. I jog through bigs fields so he can prance.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    pq7b1qxna6x0.jpg

Sadly my dog, Raymond, doesn't have the ability to run in a straight line or to keep moving without peeing for more than 100 yards so we cannot run together. We walk every day but running with him is just dangerous! just thought I'd add a pic of him because he's gorgeous!
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes i like to get minimum 2 dog walks a day preferably 3! we have 3 staffys and will take 1 at a time, 2 huskys are my eldest which she walks and hubby walks the other 2 huskys as to powerful for me. I really need to start walking faster or slow jog as doing this has made me fitter and my calorie burn is not as great :(
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yup, I owe much of my weight loss to my dog. Probably more than that, since it was the combination of finally overcoming plantar fasciatis and getting my dog from the pound, a Corgi/heeler mix. She is the funkiest built-by-a-blind-committee best dog ever; big ears, short legs, Corgis just simply rock. We go out every single morning in the woods, where she's free to roam on a trail while I hike along. sm62j4avwrqa.jpg
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Picked our dog up from the vet wedn.... broke his leg...
    so sad my summer evening walking buddy is out of commission for 6-8 weeks. :'(
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've always really liked working dog breeds and I've always wanted an Australian Shepherd or a Blue Heeler, but they need a lot of exercise I hope to be fit enough one day (and have my own house with a yard of course) to have one and be able to jog daily to keep both me and my doggy fit and healthy :)

I know I'd be so much more motivated if I had a dog who needed to be exercised
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Kids!!! We have 4 of them and none of them can sit still for more than a milisecond. We don't even try to watch movies anymore cause every other second we've got a child going "come here, come here", or "I need to talkt o you", or "I gotta show you something". They are 3, 5, 8, and 13 which = handful :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I have a Rottweiler thats always ready fot a brisk walk ! Its definitely motivating for sure !
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    My dogs help me get exercise, they also help my portion control by eating half my plate ha-ha 10404860_10154638358280455_111751365019107766_n.jpg?oh=b47952908ba5d2ce45ddb49d4e069ed8&oe=561FB279
    [/quote]

• AChildAtHeart
    AChildAtHeart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My dog makes sure I don't sit around for too long. Only problem is he doesn't lost as long in the summer heat now. In moderate weather he'll walk with me forever!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wanted a collie. and I thought she was a collie spaniel mix. nope collie/border collie. 2 times the collie energy. collie squared.
    I've committed myself to her getting all the exercise she needs but truth is I think she could still use more
    we are working on the running and not sniffing everything

16162120214_f71769af63.jpg2015-03-06 18.09.39 by faith, on Flickr
    16212880141_c85e365b84.jpg2015-01-04 14.12.57 by faith, on Flickr
  • savcannard
    savcannard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    She also makes me explore new places because we both get bored always walking in the same paths.

5j95ygnpv6rj.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My dog thinks he's a blanket

xmurym6xda5j.jpg

Stoopid blanket-dog :bigsmile:

ETA and I just took that specially
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here is Spike. She is too small to run with me, but I have carried her in my bag with me for the last 14 years.

k5bqdijtp915.jpg
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    q3j5algvgmn8.jpg

My girls keep me company on a walk, and the little black dog pulls all the dog food (and my daughter) home in the dog cart when we run down the street for groceries. They work very hard to keep the "pink puppy" safe from harm and with the rest of the pack.
  • theSophiemeister
    theSophiemeister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My girl Sophie passed away about two weeks ago; it used to really annoy me when she'd want 4 walks a night, or to go out every 90 minutes on the weekends ("I forgot to sniff something, can we go back out to make sure it's still there?"), but right now I really miss it. Evening walks were always a nice way to clear my head. I miss my running coach!