Multivitamins and supplements

Options
mahroukhh
mahroukhh Posts: 29 Member
hello! I'm Mahroukh and I'm 18 years old. I take whey protein as an additional supplement but that's all. I really wanted to know which multivitamin would be best for me though and whether I should start taking them since my diet isn't all that healthy. Thanks x

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Controlled Labs Orange Triad

It's much more than a multivitamin.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So why don't you work on improving your diet instead of trying to live better through supplements?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    So why don't you work on improving your diet instead of trying to live better through supplements?
    I hardly think asking about a multi-vitamin equates to trying to live better through supplements...
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fish oil
  • dominickcostagliola
    dominickcostagliola Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try l-Cartinine some supplements that work for some might not work for others
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I take Alive for Women
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try l-Cartinine some supplements that work for some might not work for others

"There is no compelling evidence that muscle carnitine is the rate-limiting step for fatty acid oxidation. Even worse, L-carnitine supplementation has failed repeatedly in studies examining its effect on weight loss"

-Alan Aragon
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You only need to take, Fish Oil & a multi-vitamin. And any multi will do. Go to Wal-Mart, and buy their brand. They are all the same.

And really, you don't even need those. But it never hurts.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Most brands are fine. I just tend to go for the ones targeted at women of my age and not containing talc.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    And any multi will do. Go to Wal-Mart, and buy their brand. They are all the same.

Not true at all.

The sources and amounts of the vitamins and minerals actually matters.

I just tend to go for the ones targeted at women

To be clear, multivitamins are not gender specific unless you're talking about prenatals. The ones marketed for men tend to be iron-free, that's about it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    And any multi will do. Go to Wal-Mart, and buy their brand. They are all the same.

Not true at all.

To be clear, multivitamins are not gender specific unless you're talking about prenatals. The ones marketed for men tend to be iron-free, that's about it.

You maybe right about that. I shall have to google it when I get home and find out.
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Not true at all.

True as all.

Once again, I'll take Alan Aragon, & Layne Nortons studies, with proof, over your nonsense you continue to spew daily.

• J72FIT
    Options

Not true at all.

True as all.

Once again, I'll take Alan Aragon, & Layne Nortons studies, with proof, over your nonsense you continue to spew daily.
    Let me ask you a question. Do you know the difference between magnesium oxide vs a chelated magnesium?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @sixxpoint on the contrary, vitamin and mineral needs are slightly different between men and women. I like to advise young women to take a multivitamin that includes Folic Acid for instance. A woman is much more likely to need iron supplements. But really it's a shot in the dark unless they have blood tests that point to a specific deficiency. Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is deficient in vitamin D.

I think an eighteen year old girl would learn well to eat a variety of foods and not depend on supplements to cover a poor diet.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @sixxpoint on the contrary, vitamin and mineral needs are slightly different between men and women. I like to advise young women to take a multivitamin that includes Folic Acid for instance.

Folic Acid can be harmful to your health if you supplement with too much of it long term. The same goes for Selenium, Vit A, Vit E, Iron, and a plethora of others that people tend to think "more is better". Unless you're pregnant, the Folic Acid requirements shouldn't be all that different for women vs. men.

400 mcg is a safe amount. 800-1000 mcg over the course of several years is too much. Vitacost, Twinlab, Multigenics, Arnold Iron Pack, Optimum Multi... they all over do it with the Folic Acid.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @sixxpoint on the contrary, vitamin and mineral needs are slightly different between men and women. I like to advise young women to take a multivitamin that includes Folic Acid for instance. A woman is much more likely to need iron supplements. But really it's a shot in the dark unless they have blood tests that point to a specific deficiency. Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is deficient in vitamin D.

I think an eighteen year old girl would learn well to eat a variety of foods and not depend on supplements to cover a poor diet.
    Very true. That said, even with a well balanced diet, a good multi is an inexpensive safe guard...
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Not true at all.

True as all.

Let me ask you a question. Do you know the difference between magnesium oxide vs a chelated magnesium?

Sure don't. That's why I said, I'll take two doctors advice, over a MFP randoms.

• sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Not true at all.

True as all.

Sure don't. That's why I said, I'll take two doctors advice, over a MFP randoms.

It's not exactly rocket science to have a basic understanding of poor or synthetic vitamin/mineral forms.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    All these ***** aside fighting over multi-vitamins. If your diet isn't very healthy you should definitely grab some sort of standard multi-vita (IMO Walmart or your local grocery store is a fine place to look). I would generally suggest one for women. Also look at your end of the day nutrient numbers. If your low in an important area (Vitamins, Iron, etc.) make sure you get something that supplements that area.