Overwhelmed by PCOS

Options
I'm not sure where to post this so I'm writing it here. I have suffered with PCOS for about 15 ish years. When I was told I had it the doctor told me that I could eat salads every day and still door overweight of malnutrition.
I've let this be an excuse I think. I have made plenty of poor choices and I think in the back of my mind I just keep there that it doesn't matter what I do I'm going to die fat.
I don't want to believe this. I think I can do this, however I'm struggling so much with where to start what I should be eating how often ect that I literally broke down in to tears tonight.
Something needs to change. So if you've got any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Stats obviously female. 350 lbs and not always able to be the most mobile due to pain in feet and knees.

Thank you

Becca

Replies

• angiekauffmanlpca
    angiekauffmanlpca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm an irritated PCOSer as well. I can work my butt off and lose 100 lbs, 50, 60 lbs here and there and then it comes right back. I can eat the perfect foods and then just watch the weight creep back on slowly and slowly. The only way I have been able to lose a lot of weight is by extreme exercising and not quitting. It is the quitting that has me back at square 1 again. I decided a few days ago that if I was going to be in pain anyway, I may as well be in pain losing weight. My doctor told me that daily exercise for at least 1 hour was going to be my PCOS prescription for life....It is a bit depressing :(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    There are so many women on here who have PCOS who have lost weight and kept it off. I don't have PCOS, so I hope those ladies come here to provide some encouragement.

However, I suggest you look for a doctor who specializes in you particular medical condition.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. You can totally reverse the condition by changing the types of food and amount of foods you put into your body and by getting adequate exercise.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    I have PCOS. You can totally reverse the condition by changing the types of food and amount of foods you put into your body and by getting adequate exercise.

Not the ovarian cysts, if they're present, I don't think :/ but the other issues, yes, that's the standard advice I've heard.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is nice to know I'm not alone. I really want to change this. Any tips on that are also appreciated.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    There are so many women on here who have PCOS who have lost weight and kept it off. I don't have PCOS, so I hope those ladies come here to provide some encouragement.

However, I suggest you look for a doctor who specializes in you particular medical condition.

I think there's a group, if I'm not mistaken?
  • ellesMFP93
    ellesMFP93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey Becca,

I was diagnosed a little over 3 months ago and so far I have lost 17.5kgs(38.5 pounds). I currently weigh 135kgs (297 pounds). I plateau every few weeks as my body adjusts to the lower cal intake and the exercise I am doing. When I start to plateau, I change up my work outs swapping between doing high weights with low reps or low weights with high reps. I eat high fat, low carb, making sure that my carb intake is low GI. PCOS generally means insulin resistance in anyone overweight. Our bodies don't deal with carbs as well as other people's do and you will end up fatigued and demotivated eating high GI foods. 'The Fat Revolution' book is highly recommended for PCOS sufferers and I have found it to work really well so far.
    I know I'm not exactly an expert in the area as I clearly haven't lost all the weight yet and kept it off, but I do know that what we eat and exercise area lifetime prescription. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. There are tonnes of websites/forums to help keep your motivation and commit to exercise and eating right out of self love. I recommend www.pcosdiva.com and www.pcosdietsupport.com

Both of the women who run these sites are PCOS sufferers themselves so they get the struggle. There's heaps of advice on meal plans, work outs, supplements and self care.

Good luck. Feel free to add me :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You doctor is a fool, and he's wrong. A HUGE percentage of morbidly obese women have PCOS, and yet EVERY SINGLE PERSON who gets bariatric surgery loses weight...at least initially, before they learn to cheat it.

Cut carbs to deal with insulin resistance. Everything else is the same. You can lose weight like everyone else.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »

You can mostly reverse the condition by losing weight. Just a 20% loss in body weight reverses something like 50% of PCOS. Even a 5% reduction makes a huge difference.

Most obese people have insulin resistance, but because your metabolism is very high if you're obese (yes, it is HIGHER than in lighter people!), it's extremely easy for an obese person to lose significant amounts of weight simply by cutting to 1500 to 1800 calories a day.

Track your calories and you'll lose. And you'll reverse your insulin resistance, too.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I'm an irritated PCOSer as well. I can work my butt off and lose 100 lbs, 50, 60 lbs here and there and then it comes right back. I can eat the perfect foods and then just watch the weight creep back on slowly and slowly. The only way I have been able to lose a lot of weight is by extreme exercising and not quitting. It is the quitting that has me back at square 1 again. I decided a few days ago that if I was going to be in pain anyway, I may as well be in pain losing weight. My doctor told me that daily exercise for at least 1 hour was going to be my PCOS prescription for life....It is a bit depressing :(

You are not counting all your calories.

PCOS doesn't magically slow your metabolism. The NICE thing about insulin resistance is that you can actually lose weight safely FASTER with it because it spares your muscle.

You don't have to exercise an hour a day if you can control your portion size. The problem is that most people who go up very high in weight tend to badly, BADLY underestimate how much they eat, so those who don't have a rigorous, calorie-counting program by weighing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING end up eating a ton more than they think they do and needing to exercise a lot to keep it off. YES, if you overeat, you're going to have to exercise an hour a day to stay slim.

I've had any number of obese friends tell me that they ate soooo much less than I do. Seemed plausible when we went out together. But once I'd go on any trip with them where we were together all the time, the mystery disappeared very quickly. They were eating more than me--a ton more. So while I'd arrange my meals so I could scarf down 3 pieces of pizza while we were together and they'd only have one, I'd eat hardly anything else a day I had 3 pieces of pizza, and they'd graze or have extra snacks, so they'd end up eating solidly double what I would in any given day.

Watch these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
    She would have to exercise 1.5-2 hours a day HARD to stay slim on that diet!!!

And this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJrC3RTtgQ

It might sound like I'm being mean. I'm really not. What I'm saying is that this means that this is 100% in YOUR control, idiot doctors notwithstanding.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP what was the idiot dr who told you this? The first and most important treatment steps for PCOS are losing weight, via controlling calories, and getting physically active. PCOS might be to blame for a few extra lbs clinging to your belly area. That's it. The end. The rest of the weight, it is from overeating. So the good news are, you have control over it. Count your calories and start moving, and you will be impressed.
  • ellesMFP93
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP what was the idiot dr who told you this? The first and most important treatment steps for PCOS are losing weight, via controlling calories, and getting physically active. PCOS might be to blame for a few extra lbs clinging to your belly area. That's it. The end. The rest of the weight, it is from overeating. So the good news are, you have control over it. Count your calories and start moving, and you will be impressed.

The rest of the weight is not just from overeating. Insulin resistance means that there's a fault in the lock and key mechanism that takes glucose into the cells in the muscles. When it struggles with that it produces more insulin to compensate, converts the glucose to glycogen and stores it as fat. This drops your blood sugar quite quickly and you can get hypoglycaemic symptoms. This obviously makes you crave more sugar or carbs which continues the cycle on again. If it goes undiagnosed for a long time this can cause obesity and diabetes. It's not just 'overeating' like your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Your body is telling you it needs more.

I've found the best way to combat this is making sure to eat fats and proteins at the same time as carbs if I do eat them. This slows down the absorption. Eating low GI carbs obviously helps too.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ellesMFP93 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

The rest of the weight is not just from overeating. Insulin resistance means that there's a fault in the lock and key mechanism that takes glucose into the cells in the muscles. When it struggles with that it produces more insulin to compensate, converts the glucose to glycogen and stores it as fat. This drops your blood sugar quite quickly and you can get hypoglycaemic symptoms. This obviously makes you crave more sugar or carbs which continues the cycle on again. If it goes undiagnosed for a long time this can cause obesity and diabetes. It's not just 'overeating' like your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Your body is telling you it needs more.

I've found the best way to combat this is making sure to eat fats and proteins at the same time as carbs if I do eat them. This slows down the absorption. Eating low GI carbs obviously helps too.

No. I'm sorry, but that's standard low-carbing gospel, and, as a rational being, you had it in your power to do something somewhere in the process to not be powerless to the cravings.

You overate.

• ellesMFP93
    Options
    No. I'm sorry, but that's standard low-carbing gospel, and, as a rational being, you had it in your power to do something somewhere in the process to not be powerless to the cravings.

You overate.

The food pyramid used to suggest that the largest part of your diet should be grains, cereals, pasta, bread, rice, etc. It has only been adjusted in the past couple of years. If people weren't fully educated about nutrition past the food pyramid they learnt in school it would be very easy for them to think eating plenty of carbs would be a good thing.

I'm not saying people with insulin resistance and PCOS don't or didn't overeat. I'm saying it's not the same as knowingly eating past the point of being full. And I'm saying it's important to understand why the overeating happened. It's not as simple as 'you overate. Say no to your cravings.'
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    What I'm saying is that there's a point where we all ignore the fact that we're overeating for whatever the reason is as the weight piles on.

We can see that we're getting bigger and bigger, and some people manage to stop before it gets to a certain point and get help by either going to a doctor and finding out what the problem is, or finding other ways to address it.

I know other people with PCOS, and not all of them get overweight to such a point.

Similarly, I know other people who have shared the issues I had with my weight, and they weren't as overweight as I was (I'm in the middle of losing my weight).

Stop blaming the food, please. I'm trying to help you here, I really am.

There's a part of the whole equation you're missing. PCOS was just the beginning. It got to a certain extent because you let it get there. This is true for everyone who has put on weight and buys progressively larger clothes.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What I'm saying is that there's a point where we all ignore the fact that we're overeating for whatever the reason is as the weight piles on.

We can see that we're getting bigger and bigger, and some people manage to stop before it gets to a certain point and get help by either going to a doctor and finding out what the problem is, or finding other ways to address it.

I know other people with PCOS, and not all of them get overweight to such a point.

Similarly, I know other people who have shared the issues I had with my weight, and they weren't as overweight as I was (I'm in the middle of losing my weight).

Stop blaming the food, please. I'm trying to help you here, I really am.

There's a part of the whole equation you're missing. PCOS was just the beginning. It got to a certain extent because you let it get there. This is true for everyone who has put on weight and buys progressively larger clothes.

Preach!
  • ellesMFP93
    Options
    So the 7 years, 18 doctors and numerous fad diets it took to diagnose my PCOS and insulin resistance is because I was ignoring my weight gain?

Not everyone with PCOS is insulin resistant so I'm sure not everyone you know who has PCOS is overweight.

I'm not blaming the food. I'm saying I was told for years I was eating the right things until one day that information was incorrect.

I was explaining the reason why the overeating happens. Which I think is a lot more helpful than 'stop overeating'.

I was trying to help the OP to understand what goes on in the body of an insulin resistant person and the kind of foods to eat to combat this as she asked what she should eat.

I've found everyone else of MFP to be really positive and good at encouraging each other to eat better things. I can't say the same for you though PeachyCarol.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Every single person on my friend's list here who had PCOS was IR. They've lost enough weight that they no longer are.

And I am sorry, I was an overeater who blamed the food and blamed hormones and the foods for telling her to overeat.

I am encouraging you whether you realize it or not. I'm encouraging you to dig deeper to find a healthier relationship with food. I hope you find it.