Struggling to lose weight as Im not over weight? any help?

Options
Hi, Im trying to lose about a stone, as I am going on holiday. I have been using MFP for about 6 months, and am struggling to lose weight.
I am eating a calorie deficit eating 1200 calories a day sometimes I have bad days(as we all do)
I am a dancer/ P.E teacher/ dance teacher and aerialist. so I am active every day, I also go the gym 5 days a week.
However I weight 8st 7 and and 5ft 2.5, I am also a female aged 22.
I want to lose some body fat and tone up more, but am finding that the scales just aren't going down?
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated TIA
x

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Look up body recomp. There are several good threads on it here.
  • keera123
    keera123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Look up body recomp. There are several good threads on it here.

where do I find that?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    keera123 wrote: »
    I want to lose some body fat and tone up more, but am finding that the scales just aren't going down?
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated TIA
    x

So you don't actually need to lose weight you need to lose body fat which is a different thing. So you need to look at appropriate resistance exercise and eat enough to sustain that. Pop over to the fitness forum and ask for advice on lifting to reach your goals
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you're not overweight, you don't need to lose weight. You need to build muscle. Start lifting.
  • mailyirvine
    mailyirvine Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Start lifting weights! And you need to eat more than 1200 calories... try and bump it up slowly, and maybe try a diet with higher protein than carbs or fats. What do you do at the gym? Try and focus on strength and weight training rather than cardio to tone up.
  • keera123
    Options
    I am a mesomorph body type so build muscle rather easily and after 20 years of dancing I am rather muscley however I want to slim down some muscle instead of being as bulky and also need to loose some body fat.
    I lift regularly in the gym but I seem to just bulk up more :/
  • keera123
    Options
    Its was MFP that recommended 1200 calories a day, so I just went along with that.
    I do mostly strength training and lifting in the gym only do cardio as a warm up.
  • keera123
    Options
    o Your BMI is: 21.1

o Your BMR is: 5309 kJ / 1269 calories

o Your TDEE is: 7300 kJ / 1745 calories

This was the information I got from an online calculator but I don't really understand It all... totally confused.com
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're not overweight, you don't need to lose weight. You need to build muscle. Start lifting.

not really...
  • TavistockToad
    Options

This was the information I got from an online calculator but I don't really understand It all... totally confused.com

what did you put your activity level as to get a TDEE of 1745? if you're a P.E Teacher etc etc and working out on top of that 5 x a week then that seems very low?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

not really...

Not really which one? That someone who isn't overweight should be focusing on building muscle, not losing weight? Or, that to build muscle, one should start a lifting program?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I am a mesomorph body type so build muscle rather easily and after 20 years of dancing I am rather muscley however I want to slim down some muscle instead of being as bulky and also need to loose some body fat.
    Then what do you mean by "tone up"? Muscles get bigger, stay the same, or get smaller.

I've never seen so many women who have to chill on the weights because they bulk up so fast.

• TavistockToad
    Options

not really...

Not really which one? That someone who isn't overweight should be focusing on building muscle, not losing weight? Or, that to build muscle, one should start a lifting program?

not really to 'you need to build muscle'

OP wants to 'tone up' which is losing body fat, not gaining muscle.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

not really...

When someone says "I want to lose some body fat and tone up more" it strongly implies that "lose some body fat" and "tone up more" are two different things, not the same thing.

ETA: And "toning up" is overwhelmingly used in the sense of lifting with pink dumbbells rather than losing body fat.
  • keera123
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Then what do you mean by "tone up"? Muscles get bigger, stay the same, or get smaller.

I've never seen so many women who have to chill on the weights because they bulk up so fast.

I want leaner muscles so smaller really id guess, I need to loose the excess body fate around them too but my legs and shoulders are really muscley and just bulk up more.
  • keera123
    Options

what did you put your activity level as to get a TDEE of 1745? if you're a P.E Teacher etc etc and working out on top of that 5 x a week then that seems very low?

It may be that I have used an unreliable source to get this figure, do you have recommendations for a good one?
    or how many calories you think I should eat to ditch the body fat?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It may be that I have used an unreliable source to get this figure, do you have recommendations for a good one?
    or how many calories you think I should eat to ditch the body fat?

use Scooby.com
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with mailyirvine, you need to eat a little more. I learnt this the hard way I'm very active and I was eating roughly 1100 cals a day for fear of gaining weight and found all i did was gain weight. since I've started mfp about 3 months ago and been adding 100 to 200 calories extra only on my heavy workout days I started to lose my fluffy body. You should post a picture of yourself I bet you look good since your crazy active.

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

not really...

This^^

OP is of healthy weight, so what they want to do is eat around their TDEE and lift heavy so that can lower their BF%. Doing this removes some of the fat covering muscle that is already there giving the individual more "tone". It is a slow process though.

OP, the whole mesomorph body type deal was debunked years ago. I find it doubtful you pack on muscle quickly. Most men can put on muscle quickly and it's exponentially harder to build for women.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

not really...

This^^

OP is of healthy weight, so what they want to do is eat around their TDEE and lift heavy so that can lower their BF%. Doing this removes some of the fat covering muscle that is already there giving the individual more "tone". It is a slow process though.

OP, the whole mesomorph body type deal was debunked years ago. I find it doubtful you pack on muscle quickly. Most men can put on muscle quickly and it's exponentially harder to build for women.

When you have the appetite for a calories surplus. I have two close family members who cannot eat in calories surplus which is mind boggling to me.