Calorie intake on this app

hippytee
hippytee Posts: 249 Member
had this app a while now still don't fully understand how the calories are worked out
If I'm having 1500 cals and I'm burning let's say 500 a day ,,, do I have to eat an extra 500 ?
Wanting to loose not gain weight

I know that for every 3500 calories you burn = 1lb of weight loss.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Yes, if you're really burning 500 calories in exercise, you are meant to eat those calories back. Your NET goal should be 1500 calories. So you'd really be eating 2000 calories, but subtracting 500 calories from that would give you your net of 1500 calories.

That being said, it also depends on your method of estimating your calorie burns. If you're using MFP's estimates, cut the amount in half, because MFP notoriously overestimates.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    The calorie goal you are given is based on your activity level, stats, NO Exercise, and the rate of loss you selected.

Since you say 1500 then MFP thinks you burn:
    1750 (0.5 lb per week loss/250 calorie deficit)
    2000 (1 lb per week loss/500 calorie deficit)
    2250 (1.5 lb per week loss/750 calorie deficit)
    2500 (2 lb per week loss/1000 calorie deficit)
    before you exercise. When you log exercise the amount MFP thinks you burn increases and it adjusts your calories to account for this increase.

You eat the exercise calories back (start at 50% and work up or down based on actual results) so that your deficit doesn't get too large.

This only changes when people are aiming for a deficit that is too large for their activity level and they don't have a lot too lose. In these cases the calorie goal bottoms out at 1200 and it is likely that the calorie deficit isn't near as large as they want it to be. Example: MFP thinks I burn 1900 without exercise. To lose 2 lbs per week I'd have to go down to 900 calories a day before exercise, but MFP won't let me go lower than 1200. So at max my deficit can be 700 calories.
  • hippytee
    Haaa I get you,, so really I'm actually only having 1000 calories approx a day if I burn off 500,, which is way too low, I lol end up loosing too much too fast in that case,,

Thanks both of you for yr help :)
  • Diane150773
    Diane150773 Posts: 1 Member
    Is it true that if you eat too little, your body holds onto the energy intake and you don't lose weight? I was doing1200 calories and not eating my exercise intake. I lost a little then gained it again. It's so confusing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Is it true that if you eat too little, your body holds onto the energy intake and you don't lose weight? I was doing1200 calories and not eating my exercise intake. I lost a little then gained it again. It's so confusing.

no that is not true. If you logged 1200 and were exercising chances are you are eating more than you think or retaining water from new exercise.

• hippytee

Everyone's weight loss journey 's different, Calorie intake depends on yr current weight, age, gender, height & the type, amount of exercise done regularly,

Not eating breakfast, drinking enough water, eating the wrong foods, bad carbs ( white bread and pasta, rice, chocolate, pastries ect , not eating enough protein, skipping meals,

1-2 lbs loss a week is better than losing too much.

Exercising early morning, kick starts your metabolism for the day and carries on working even whilst you sleep,

Muscle burns more calories than fat.

Good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • Ninkyou
    hippytee wrote: »

Everyone's weight loss journey 's different, Calorie intake depends on yr current weight, age, gender, height & the type, amount of exercise done regularly,

Not eating breakfast, drinking enough water, eating the wrong foods, bad carbs ( white bread and pasta, rice, chocolate, pastries ect , not eating enough protein, skipping meals,

Exercising early morning, kick starts your metabolism for the day and carries on working even whilst you sleep,

The things bolded above are actually not true.

Meal timing or frequency or the need for breakfast has nothing to do with weight loss. It's personal preference. There are also no wrong or bad foods. There are just foods. Food has calories and calories are a unit of energy our bodies require to run on. While there are medical conditions that are managed better reducing intake of certain foods (like carbs for diabetes and gluten for celiac's disease), they are not need to be reduced specifically. Weight loss is calories in and calories out.

Also, exercising in the morning is more of a preference. Your metabolism is running 24/7, there's no kickstart to it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Yes you are supposed to eat them. Apart from the above reasons to eat them think of it as training for when you get to your goal weight and need to maintain. You have to eat them then.
  • eleniwriting
    eleniwriting Posts: 1 Member
    I'm using my BMR measurements and then taking 500 calories away a day to lose weight. When I do exercise, I've been encourage to eat those calories back.
  • hippytee
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Meal timing or frequency or the need for breakfast has nothing to do with weight loss. It's personal preference. There are also no wrong or bad foods. There are just foods. Food has calories and calories are a unit of energy our bodies require to run on. While there are medical conditions that are managed better reducing intake of certain foods (like carbs for diabetes and gluten for celiac's disease), they are not need to be reduced specifically. Weight loss is calories in and calories out.

Also, exercising in the morning is more of a preference. Your metabolism is running 24/7, there's no kickstart to it.

• hippytee
    Sorry I beg to differ, why are they not true? I've done it myself so I know that all the above work, look it up on the net :)
  • hippytee

Sorry I beg to differ, why are they not true? I've done it myself so I know that all the above work, look it up on the net :)

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    I'm using my BMR measurements and then taking 500 calories away a day to lose weight. When I do exercise, I've been encourage to eat those calories back.

Do you mean TDEE? That would be your maintenance. If you are using this formula then exercise is already included and you don't eat them back.

It's only with the mfp NEAT formula that you do eat them.
  • hippytee
    Eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day, kickstarts yr metabolism, so does drinking water, eating too much of refined sugar found in cakes, sweets, chocolate, eating trans fats, hydronated fats found in processed foods, junk food,
    Eating these are good for you not show me a healthy, healthy weight person that eats these all the time

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Every person is different, but weight loss is calories in verse calories out. The timing and what you eat does not matter. I have lost 70 pounds at one time (did gain some back due to an illness, losing again), but I never ate breakfast, ate plenty of carbs,white rice,potatoes, etc and still lost 70 pounds, so while the above may be true for YOU,the average person just needs to have more calories out than in, and yes that is all on the internet.
  • Ninkyou
    edited June 2015

On meal timing/frequency (peer reviewed studies):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1905998
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053311
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

There are more, but I'll stop there.

On when the best time to exercise is:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/20231022_Circadian_specificity_in_exercise_training

You found something that worked for YOU. Good job. But in general, it's personal preference.
    I personally prefer to workout in the early to late morning. I eat breakfast. But those are my personal preferences. They don't apply to others.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm using my BMR measurements and then taking 500 calories away a day to lose weight. When I do exercise, I've been encouraged to eat those calories back.

Um....no

Do you mean TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)....this is maintenance and includes exercise. Taking away 500 would be 1 pound a week. Factor in exercise up front and no need to eat calories back.

BMR is basal metabolic rate....this is if you stayed in bed all day. Hopefully you're not taking 500 from here.
  • hippytee
    So I'm doing it right,, not eating back the calories I've used exercising,,, My calorie intake is 1400 a day without exercise,
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    had this app a while now still don't fully understand how the calories are worked out
    If I'm having 1500 cals and I'm burning let's say 500 a day ,,, do I have to eat an extra 500 ?
    Wanting to loose not gain weight

I know that for every 3500 calories you burn = 1lb of weight loss.

your 1500 target already includes your weight loss deficit...it's built into your diet...you would lose weight just eating your target calories and not exercising. If you selected 1 Lb per week, MFP is estimating your maintenance to be 2000 calories...ergo 1500 calories would give you a 500 calorie deficit.

If you set your activity level properly, your activity level would NOT include exercise...just your daily hum drum...thus exercise is unaccounted for activity...thus when you do exercise you can eat more because your calorie requisites would increase. It is important to understand how to fuel your fitness...when you can start wrapping your head around fitness for the sake of being fit and healthy and not just burning calories, this will be much clearer to you. Failure to properly fuel your fitness can ultimately lead to recovery issues, fatigue, and injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

no....no they're not.